Old 08-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
New sway bars and other improvements

I recently bought a new Jeep to tow behind my FR3 and so finally got the whole tow bar mechanism installed. At the same time, I decided to have heavier duty sway bars installed front and rear. Driving home from the place (County RV in El Cajon, CA, who did a great job) was a bit intimidating as I was on my own and towing a vehicle for the first time. Turns out that was okay as long as I remembered I had that extra length. The Jeep just follows like a duckling following its mother. Unhitching was a bit of a challenge, but I think I've got it down.

And, the sway bars were fantastic. What a difference. Previously I felt like I was always working just to keep the thing on the road. Much easier handling. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

Other recent improvements have been:

Tankless water heater: love that I have unlimited hot water, but it doesn't regulate itself well. Supposed to control heat by the flow, but I think my water pressure may be too low as it gets a bit too hot when the tap is full on, then something trips off and it cools down for awhile. Makes taking a shower an interesting experience. Still, I'm working with it and hope that if I get to a park where the water pressure is better it will smooth out.

Fantastic Fan in bedroom: Really love this. I got the one with the remote, can change directions and speed. Really helps with cooling down the RV and moving the air. I'm getting one put in the living area next week.

Shower door: Great improvement. Got the accordion kind. Keeps the water from getting all over the floor

So, I'm close to ready to really hit the road. Retiring in November and heading east into Arizona to start. Then, who knows.

2014 FR3 30DS

BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
Hi BarbaraG. I'm kicking around getting some type of sway control on our 30DS. I'm also tired of that "fighting it" feeling. I'm curious as to what type/brand of sway bars you had installed. Also, anyone else on this forum who's had sway control installed on their FR3, I'd like to know your feelings on the brand you had installed.

Smooth Roads, and, Drive 'em Safe

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #3
I was shopping for new RV insurance this weekend and decided to go with the Good Sam RV insurance (hope people have had good experiences). National General rights the policy.

They asked two questions about the RV besides the model #.

Do we live in it full time?
Have we modified the suspension?

I thought that was interesting it must be a frequent issue, with changes to suspension, maybe?

grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #4
I got Roadmaster anti-sway bars, front an back, but I don't remember the size. I'll check on it and let you know.

I would think insurance companies would consider larger anti-sway bars to be a benefit, but you never can tell. I have insurance through Geico and they never asked me about changes to the motorhome.

BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
I did the cheap handling fix to my 30DS and noticed the same type of improvement BG is describing. Took about an hour of my time.

Cheap Handling Fix - iRV2 Forums
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote