Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 02:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRoads View Post
Tom48 the only problem with only opening up faucets is if you have the bypass valves incorrectly set, like in the photo. You won't know if the tank is full or not. Also opening the valve I have found lets air out of the tank that faucet don't always do. Just my 2 cents.
As everyone has said the critical thing is to make sure there is water in the hot water tank before turning on those switches.
GREAT CATCH I forget that WINTERIZING VALVE issue, since those of us in SoCal seldom get to think about actual Cold Weather, except when we deliberately take the rig there..
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:25 PM   #22

After winterizing I now always shut off both electrical switches for my water heater. I made the mistake one year of leaving them on and when I got to my first next use of the trailer on our way south to a warmer winter climate I plugged in the shore power before hooking up the pressure water and as they say...seconds only and the element blew! Needed to use propane until I had a dealer replace the element. Now I keep a spare element just in case. Oh, yea, those sacrificial anodes will usually last 1 - 3 years depending on use so check every time you drain for winterizing or once a year if you are fortunate enough not to have to winterize!
jz5w63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, newbie, water, water heater