Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2017, 05:37 AM   #1

Smile Noisy cockpit

Has anyone had a problem with noisy cockpit seems to be leakage around right side window and area over the windshield . any help or comments would be appreciated FR3 30DS 2017 new in January. Thank you

acejohn6928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:01 AM   #2

Smile Noisy

YES they are . Engine because you are sitting on top of and is not well sound prof. there other post about sound proofing. Yes Windows do not seal tight. Also you can hear air or wind as it pass over top again sound proofing would help to. But for me its not a big deal just going to add radio speakers to drone out the noise.
Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl17 View Post
YES they are . Engine because you are sitting on top of and is not well sound prof. there other post about sound proofing. Yes Windows do not seal tight. Also you can hear air or wind as it pass over top again sound proofing would help to. But for me its not a big deal just going to add radio speakers to drone out the noise.
Thank you for input had same issue on my ace Thor made an appt for me at local CW to add insulation . However never got there . We were at a show and wife wanted the 30ds so guess what a trade was made
acejohn6928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:15 PM   #4

Might want to check that the interior engine dog house cover is properly seated and the buckles are snapped tight. There was a thread last year where a guy just took his dog house off and put it back on and said it helped a lot.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:05 AM   #5

Love this thread because I just performed a engine cover gasket modification.

Buckles would always pop open, bugged me to no end and let in hot air and noise. Tightening unsuccessful, they would always pop open when someone would step on them.

How to fix? Here's what I did and the results.

Went to local ACE Hardware and bought a roll of "expanding" rubber insulation made to fill in irregular gaps. A fully expanded rubber strip would have a cross section of 1 inch by 1 inch.

Removing doghouse, it was clear that a large amount of debris was laying in the insulation gasket seal grooves molded into the floor section of the fiberglass engine "doghouse"(dumb term - have no idea why we call it that!). So after much cutting of carpet and removal of excess adhesive, I was ready to install the expanding rubber strip onto the floor section of the fiberglass base around engine.

The sticky side of the rubber insulation fit perfectly inside the groove molded in, after cutting small triangles on the edges of the rubber to allow for the 90 degree turns the gasket must fit it allowed for a smooth corner bend and sealing surface.

Thought it would be best to leave old gasket in place on top cover since it was in ok shape and still well attached.

So after really carefully seating the top cover and feeling around all sides of cover to make sure the new gasket wasn't dislodged I was able to re-adjust the cover buckles. They were adjusted very close to their shortest position from FR, once the gasket was in place they had to be adjusted almost all the way loose to allow for the little "j" hook end to fit over the metal tab molded into cover.

Once snugged down, close the buckles and let it sit for awhile during tests to search for air leaks. I used some incense, lit the end and watched the smoke behaviour around the top cover edges. Sealing was excellent, no air was pushing into the interior. So then I just tightened the buckles to the tightest I could get them and still fit on the metal tabs and cranked it down to compress the super flexible rubber seal.

A test drive up and down the Grapevine in California on a notoriously windy stretch of Hwy 5 was the ultimate test, and the difference was dramatic. Once the top cover was sealed tight, noise dropped so dramatically that it brought attention to how noisy the windows are at speed.

I had bought some of the super heavy sound deadener tiles from a hi-if store, hoping it would be the solution. To be honest, after adding the cover gasket I gave up on the idea that I needed to rip up the carpet and install the tiles. What was obvious now is that there was a lot to be gained from sealing the side windows, but I haven't a clue how I can do that the way they are designed.

Anyone out there with an idea how to seal the side windows better than original?

So it took me longer to type this than the project took, so I can recommend all with FR3s' to check their cover and add some more insulation for a super sealed airtight noise reducing fix that was worth the time and effort.

Considering we are ready to take a trip to Maine and back this summer, the loss of noise and hot air leakage in the summer months will be a solution that will make the trip just that much more pleasant while being less fatiguing.

Going to also try using Bose noise cancelling headphones to try and cap off the rest of the noise from the windows. Will let all know how that works out so I can see how much of a reduction of sound is possible to stop the real fatigue resulting from high levels of continuous wind and tire sound.
repsolgamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:06 AM   #6
Curiouser and Curiouser

Sound deadener

Great suggestion and description!
Old 05-07-2017, 04:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejohn6928 View Post
Has anyone had a problem with noisy cockpit seems to be leakage around right side window and area over the windshield . any help or comments would be appreciated FR3 30DS 2017 new in January. Thank you

I also noticed a noise coming from the front. I think part of the noise is the front fiberglass half's rubbing against each other. The evidence is the white fiberglass dust where they touch each other.

I stuck weather striping between the two front grills. The FR3 was quieter today when I had drove it. I also wonder if bug screen is making a noise.

I will update after I do some more.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:38 PM   #8

Some pictures to help any who are interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3421.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	342.2 KB
ID:	140024   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3418.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	365.4 KB
ID:	140025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3417.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	140026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3415.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	480.5 KB
ID:	140027   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3412.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	140028  

repsolgamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:23 PM   #9

ty for the pics
Combatcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:19 PM   #10

I have a new 2017 FR3 28DS with 2,500 miles. I am having noise problems with my FR3
I like the Idea of the rubber stripping between the fiberglass half’s for the engine compartment. I will try it. Also the opening on the engine compartment doors lets a lot of air come in hitting the engine and other objects. I started wearing my Bose noise canceling headphones that I wore on airplanes when I traveled. That works great. The noise does make it hard to carry on a conversation with your passengers, That could be a good thing! LOL, By the way time here is 11:20 east coast time. Florida
BruceFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:41 AM   #11

I ended up using black silicon caulking in the grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
I also noticed a noise coming from the front. I think part of the noise is the front fiberglass half's rubbing against each other. The evidence is the white fiberglass dust where they touch each other.

I stuck weather striping between the two front grills. The FR3 was quieter today when I had drove it. I also wonder if bug screen is making a noise.

I will update after I do some more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceFR3 View Post
I have a new 2017 FR3 28DS with 2,500 miles. I am having noise problems with my FR3
I like the Idea of the rubber stripping between the fiberglass half’s for the engine compartment. I will try it. Also the opening on the engine compartment doors lets a lot of air come in hitting the engine and other objects. I started wearing my Bose noise canceling headphones that I wore on airplanes when I traveled. That works great. The noise does make it hard to carry on a conversation with your passengers, That could be a good thing! LOL, By the way time here is 11:20 east coast time. Florida
I ended up using black silicon caulking in the grill between the opening. It stopped the grill from humming and rattling.

Name:	20180719_174627.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	482.7 KB
ID:	185594

Name:	20180719_174727.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	566.0 KB
ID:	185595

Name:	20180719_174757.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	567.4 KB
ID:	185596
Old 09-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #12

FR3Noise

Thank you so much for the reply I like that idea with the black silicone I’ll give that a try thanks again
Old 09-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #13

There is another thread on here, where someone cut a water hose and put those on the locking levers of the grill. I tried that and it made a lot of difference!

Sealing the screen to the grill is next!
Old 09-07-2018, 12:26 PM   #14

Gotta ask, how fast ya'll going??? We mosey along 55-60mph.

Or maybe I dont hear it because of our country and Bob Marley pandora stations over the upgraded speakers
DutchRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchRv View Post
Gotta ask, how fast ya'll going??? We mosey along 55-60mph.

Or maybe I dont hear it because of our country and Bob Marley pandora stations over the upgraded speakers
65 is the fastest I will go.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Thank you so much for the reply I like that idea with the black silicone I’ll give that a try thanks again

Using the black silicone caulking in the grill is a good idea. Any idea how many tubes of silicone caulking did you use for this project.
I think I used three tubes on each door. I had to redo the door above after a bird strike. A Spruce Hen pushed the metal back a couple inches but did not crack the fiberglass. The Spruce Hen just waited until I was driving by to jump in front of my FR3.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:04 AM   #17

BruceFR3 "Thank you for the information. That will give me an idea of how much to buy. It’s always something when I drive my FR3."
Thank you for your Thanks comment above. I would prefer that you use the Quote button as it keeps the thread going. It will also count as a post that will raise you from a Junior member to a Senior member.

I have to use my DIY skills on my FR3, just like do at home.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:10 AM   #18

FR3 Noisy cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
BruceFR3 "Thank you for the information. That will give me an idea of how much to buy. It’s always something when I drive my FR3."
Thank you for your Thanks comment above. I would prefer that you use the Quote button as it keeps the thread going. It will also count as a post that will raise you from a Junior member to a Senior member.

I have to use my DIY skills on my FR3, just like do at home.
Thank you for the information to use the Quote thread to reply. Always good to learn how to use this site.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGunny View Post
There is another thread on here, where someone cut a water hose and put those on the locking levers of the grill. I tried that and it made a lot of difference!

Sealing the screen to the grill is next!
OldGunny,
I am going to try the water hose on the locking levers next.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Thank you for the information to use the Quote thread to reply. Always good to learn how to use this site.
BruceFR3,
I think this forum is a great place to share thoughts, ideas, & knowledge from other Forest River RV owners.

I say 'Why reinvent the wheel? Post your questions here & and learn how someone else solved the problem.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #20

Something else I JUST learned while prepping the RV for a road trip (Disney World next weekend). The mirror that is situated in the cab so the driver and copilot can look at each other, is in there loose. Mine can easily be moved around (safety hazard IMO). It is also a possible source of rattles while driving.

Suction cup, hot glue gun or velcro... probably both.