Old 05-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #1

Not a happy camper!!

We put our beautiful new FR3 into the shop to have repairs done to fix the problem areas that we found thus far - leaking windshield, leaking shower, & several other things. Since other people had already noted that their new campers had these same problems, we were not upset when ours followed the same pattern. We were very upset, however, when the repair shop called today to say that they had discovered that the roof has to be replaced & the factory has already authorized them to replace it. We were so dumbfounded at the news that we did not ask, "how does this happen on a new camper?" When we talk to the shop tomorrow, we will definitely ask this question. It's a good thing we weren't planning a camping trip in the next few weeks, I guess. Needless to say, we are not happy campers right now!!
Grandma99

Grandma99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #2

So sorry to here of issues but it is fixable. I had my new Berkshire roof replaced as well. I have had several different explanations on why they fail. Our was cracked and was told that it was faulty material. Maybe but I tend to think that it gets flexed to much when installed. It's all one piece and can't be easy to lay down. It is also a thin and brittle material. I guess I decided it didn't much matter why only that it was fixed correctly and mine was. I do expect years of trouble free service from my roof. Almost no one escapes troubles of some kind I've had my fair share. FR stood behind the product and we love or MH( a Berkshire) and in fact are now full timers. Good luck

Old 05-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #3

Like you, we just got our new 2015 FR3 25DS. Has the dealership told you why the roof has to be replaced? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #4

Since you're in Covington I'm going to assume that you took it to RV World? Let me know how they handle things, I'm working on my list of minor repairs that I'll take in this Winter, being the only close FR warranty center I'm interested in how they do.

And I'm really curious as to why they say your roof needed replacing.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #5

Having to have the roof redone is a bummer but having it paid for without a fight is a huge win! I think you should give that dealer a plug. Sounds like they are giving you great service.
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #6

We went by Threeway Campers (dealership where we bought the camper) to question them about the roof replacement. They told us that a piece of the wood underneath the top coating had separated & needed to be replaced. Instead of just taking out the defective piece of wood OR taking out all the wood & rebuilding the roof, they are planning to add a layer of new wood to the existing roof for added insulation & durability & then putting the new rubber coating on. I'm probably not saying everything correctly, but, hopefully y'all can figure out what I mean. Anyway, we feel much better about the process now than we did before. I don't know how often this kind of thing happens with a new camper, but I'm very glad it happened right away instead of after the warranty was up.
The windshield leak will be fixed by a glass company. We were told that they were going to scrape off the old glue (?) or whatever it is that holds it on & re-do it. Altogether, the time frame for repairs is approximately 3 weeks. We sure are missing our beautiful camper & looking forward to getting it back on the road.
Grandma99
Grandma99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #7

Thank you for letting us know what happened with your roof. I'll have to watch for a similar problem on mine. It sounds like Three Way Campers is taking care of you.

Tags
camper