Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2016, 05:29 PM   #1

Nova Scotia anyone ?

Has anyone plotted a week to two trip ? I was wondering what the " must " see areas are. Looking to move about every few days . Thanks for your thoughts and help.
Grumpy Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:44 PM   #2
Canadian Member

We did a trip to the Canadian Maritimes in 2013. I highly recommend the Cabot Trail, Fortress Louisburg, Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg. If you're going through New Brunswick to get there, be sure to see the Hopewell Rocks at Bay of Fundy National Park.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:28 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

Marconi museum. The tidal bore in the bay of fundy. A fresh lobster roll in a local restaurant. All of the trails. Suggest you go clockwise. Sail lake Bras d'Or, Fortress of Lewisbourg. Peggy Cove lighthouse (plan lunch). Cape Breton Highland Natl Park, Glenora Inn & Distillery in Glenville, Alexander Graham Bell museum in Baddeck.
That should keep you busy...

Edit:
On your way back consider taking the ferry from NS to PEI and spend a week there too. Take the bridge back to NB and you only pay for the bridge crossing...
Old 01-31-2016, 10:35 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
If you are driving up the coast, stopping at Fundy Bay NP is on the way and well worth a few days. We stopped at the entrance to Fundy Bay and the black flies were thick, the campground was fine, had a campfire every night (July 9, 2013).

Also stop in Alma at Kelly's bake shop Kelly's Bake Shop, Home of the "Sticky Bun" - Great little place in Alma, NB - a must stop by cdrdwd, on Flickr
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:43 PM   #5

Cabot Trail is amazing. We did it on the wife's CanAm Spyder. It was just spectacular. On the Bay of Fundy we stayed right on the coast at The Cove Oceanfront Campground. Just unreal area. Have fun!
Karl4Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:50 PM   #6

If you are going to Hope Well Rock there is a nice CG just outside the park. It is Ponderosa Pines. Have stated there several time and have seen a moose on the tidal flats as well as a black bear. When on Cape Breton Island Adventure East CG is a nice place to stay, also the KOA North Sydney have a great view of the inlet to the Bra d'or lake. Both CG can be used as a base while touring CB Island. As stated the Cabot Trail is a must see as well as Fortress Louisburg. While on CB Island you should go to Glace Bay and visit the miners museum. During the summer months the Men of the Deeps practice at the museum. In Mabou CB you could have lunch at the Red Shoe Pub (owned and operated by the Rankin family). If you do go around the Cabot Trail there is a small diner in Neil's Harbour that offer great food, we always enjoyed their crab rolls.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:53 PM   #7

That's the other campground we stayed at. Thanks for reminding me caper. KOA North Sydney. Had the place to ourselves early season. Parked our RV sideways across a few sites for no additional cost... well... a 30 pack of Coors Light did help! The owners were so nice.
Karl4Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:33 AM   #8

We are from there and return every summer for vacation. Yes...by all means Cabot Trail although I always recommend this in the fall when the leaves are awesome. Camp in Beddeck and do the trail with your toad. No fun hauling a motorhome along that route although many do just fine. Don't leave out the south Shore. We stay near Halifax (Woodhaven RV Park ) always include All the scenic beach areas along the south coast....visit Peggy s cove and beaches from Woodhaven as the fog sometimes lingers hen camping g right on lighthouse route ...cool at night. Hope this helps and enjoy!
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
We did a trip to the Canadian Maritimes in 2013. I highly recommend the Cabot Trail, Fortress Louisburg, Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg. If you're going through New Brunswick to get there, be sure to see the Hopewell Rocks at Bay of Fundy National Park.
I agree with Itat... We did a cross Canada trip in 2011. Here is a link to our blog posts from NS (ten of them). Also Kejimkujik National Park and Kejimkujik Seaside National Park, Mahone Bay, Annapolis Royal is a quaint little town,

You will have lots of fun, people are very friendly and the food is fantastic. I think the Bay of Fundy is the most impressive with 50ft tides.

Cheers,
My RV Cookbook now on Amazon! USA or Canada
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #10

If you are a fisherman take a light pole and get your fishing license. There were some really beautiful ponds close to the road in cape Breton that you will want to stop at. I don't know where you are driving from but 1 week will not be long enough. Coming from Rochester NY we planned a 2 week trip and ran out of time. Did a second 2 week trip a few years later and still haven't seen everything. We are going a third time now that we are retired and no time limit. It is beautiful.
bplantcjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I'm from NB Capital city and Funday park itself very nice. its a 50 km hiking trail system through mountains, valleys, to the coast line, excellent golf course and home of the best Sticky Buns , oh and the worlds highest tides PERIOD!

When you get to the NS Cabot Trail ask the locals which way to drive it and be aware of some very very steep hills and tight corners.
The Fortress is amazing and has original (not reproduction) paintings from when the original fort was in use. be prepared to experience a way of life recreated flawlessly.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #12

Meat Cove

Agree with all recommendations so far and have been to most. I'll add the quaint little village of Meat Cove. It's off of the Cabot Trail and just about as far north and east as you can get in Nova Scotia. You can camp there - it was dry camping in 2001 (see picture) and the campground was still there in 2009. Absolutely nothing fancy about the campground and not much there but....

The view is spectacular. Kayaking among the seals and eagles was awesome.

On the way there on "Bay St Lawrence Road" there is a nice fishing village where you turn left towards Capstick. In 2009, the road turns to dirt in Capstick to Meat Cove but was fine for my Class C. If not with a camper, still I recommend a visit with a toad/car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18290018_1200.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	98747  
Old 02-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #13

Nova Scotia

We stayed in Maine only over there for a day trip. It's like going back in time. Do make sure you carry what you need. Weren't many stores from what I seen, but very nice place to visit
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:46 PM   #14

did you take the CAT ferry to Yarmouth on the south shore (Peggy's Cove area)?

The ferry is supposed to be back on this summer (think it leaves Bar Harbour Me.) but its not the high speed one following a marine incident years ago.

From Maine you can come in through Houlton which is the end of the I-95 and it's almost 9 hours to the Cabot Trail through NB and part of NS. its about 9 hours from there to the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia.
the old airport road from Maine goes to St. Stephen another border community where the Ganong chocolate factory is headquartered.
Chicken bones a christmas favorite...

http://www.chocolatemuseum.ca/

Saint Andrews by the Sea is another summer time community with amazing shops, crafts, and eateries serving local seafoods caught and prepared in house
they have a Botanical Gardens which is amazing.

http://standrewsbythesea.ca/

Currently only one toll on the highway in Nova Scotia but they are releasing information in NB tomorrow about tolls being added in NB.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #15

And this year is probably the best time to visit for those that live south of the 49 th parallel, as we are offering our sights and services for a discount of 30 %. Stay safe.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
And this year is probably the best time to visit for those that live south of the 49 th parallel, as we are offering our sights and services for a discount of 30 %. Stay safe.
closer to 35% today and shooting for lower this summer according to economists. Possibly 60 cents or a 40 % exchange rate.
we paid 41.5% at the Houlton border 2 weekends ago bringing back my duck decoys and camping gear.
but it was still 25% cheaper than Canadian prices.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:37 PM   #17
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
Cabot Trail is amazing. We did it on the wife's CanAm Spyder. It was just spectacular.
That must have been fantastic!! When we drove the Cabot Trail in our F-150 I told my DW that I'd love to ride it on our GoldWing. She said she'd be too scared to ride it on the bike. She had to close her eyes a couple times just in the truck!

For us, the Cabot Trail was the highlight of the 2.5 weeks we toured NB, NS and PEI. The kids loved it, too, and they thoroughly enjoyed Fortress Louisburg - we spent the entire day there.

I knew about Kelly's Bake Shop in Alma, NB before we left home but it didn't work out that we passed by it when they were open. We stayed at the Chignecto Campground in Fundy NP and left early to catch the highest tide and came back through in the evening after the lowest tide, with a side trip to Moncton in between. We found a great roadside ice cream place on the road up to Moncton. I probably really didn't need the Sticky Buns, too, but it would have been nice.

In Lunenburg we got to see the Bluenose II in dry dock and at Peggy's Cove we met a very nice man from Germany who was touring the area with his son. The boys loved running around on the rocks.

There's just so much to see down there. We definitely want to go back some day.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

Old 02-01-2016, 02:53 PM   #18

I have found the best way to see the Cabot Trail is to leave from Baddeck cross St. Anne's Bay at Englishtown (using ferry$) and going as far as Cheticamp turning around and back tracking to Baddeck. I have found this is the best way to see the Cabot Trail easy to do in one day. Because most of the Cabot Trail is a NP there are few services along the way. Leave with a full tank of gas and enjoy the views. Also try to take a few of the side trips along the way.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #19
Canadian Member

If you like to hike, take time for at least one trail. We did the 7.5 km Skyline Trail. I have some pics in my album. Absolutely spectacular, except for the public toilet.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #20

We did two weeks in Sept. Stayed just east of Annapolis Royal the first week and it allowed us to tour all of the sites on the northern shore; Fort Ann, Digby (home of Scallops), fishing villages on the north shore where you can by all of the fresh fish you want, and all of the wineries. The town itself has several items of interest and one of the best restaurants, "Compose". Also, N. America's only tidal generating station (tours avail.). The town was just perfect!
The second week, we moved to a campground just south of the causeway and toured CBI. All of the tour spots have already been mentioned. Our longest day doing it this way was the 250 mile trip all the way around the CB Trail. Peggy's cove was nice but definitely a huge tourist trap with a parking lot set up for buses out of Halifax. I'm told the best way to see it is when the weather is stormy: no tourists and the waves start breaking over the cove rocks!

Backpacker
glfillion is offline   Reply With Quote