Old 02-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #1

Odd 12V / Generator Issue

I went out to my 2014 30DS and ran the engine (monthly during the winter) and tried to run the generator. When I tried starting the generator, the solenoid clicked (like a machine gun) the way a car solenoid does with a dead battery and the cabin lights flashed with it. Just for giggles, I disconnected shore power and pressed the battery test button. Battery came up dead on the display and none of the lights worked. I went and turned off the 12V cabin power switch, waited a few seconds and turned it back on. The lights came on. Pressing the battery test button showed the battery at 3/4 charge. Tried the generator again and it started perfectly! After running for 15-20 minutes I turned off the generator and pressed the battery test button. Battery showed full.

However, now my Jensen AWM968 entertainment system is DOA. No power at all! I'm guessing the power spikes, while the solenoid was machine gunning, did some damage. I'll have to go back and check the fuses. I wish I knew why the whole situation happened! Normally I disconnect shore power first and have never had a problem. Because I had the shore power on, everything just freaked out.

Any suggestions on fixing the AWM968??

Greg

PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Unlike old analog systems most entertainment systems today are digital containing some type of u-controller. Try removing the fuse for the entertainment system and letting it sit for a few minutes, then insert fuse. This should cause a hard boot.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:01 PM   #3

I used the battery disconnect switch to shut down the power, since I'm not sure which fuse is for the entertainment center and I don't currently have my meter handy. When I came back later to turn it back on, I noticed one of the lights was on with the battery shut off? Once I disconnected shore power the lights went off. I'm going to let it sit for a while before turning it back on.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:04 PM   #4

I let it sit powered down for over an hour, but it's still no go. I'll check the fuses tomorrow when I have my meter.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:29 AM   #5

The surges from trying to start the generator killed the 10A fuse on top of the unit, by the power connector.

Tags
generator