Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2015, 02:06 PM   #1
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Off we go!!

On Monday, 8/10 the wife and I along with another family member in their MH will embark on our longest trip since purchasing our 2014 30DS. We are very excited since we will be heading to Yellowstone ( we'll join another family member here), Grand Tetons, Black Hills, Glacier Nat'l Park (hopefully the fire will be contained by then), and then home through Washington, Oregon, and down the CA coast. Maybe we'll come across other FR3 owners along the way.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
On Monday, 8/10 the wife and I along with another family member in their MH will embark on our longest trip since purchasing our 2014 30DS. We are very excited since we will be heading to Yellowstone ( we'll join another family member here), Grand Tetons, Black Hills, Glacier Nat'l Park (hopefully the fire will be contained by then), and then home through Washington, Oregon, and down the CA coast. Maybe we'll come across other FR3 owners along the way.

Have a great trip.
welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:21 PM   #3

Off we go!!

Head em up -move em out--you are heading for some of the most beautiful sites in our great country.

Stop in here if you end up with a spare day or few hours. Many on here will fill in your day with side trips.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #4

have fun

We did Oregon and Washington as part of a round trip from Indiana to California and back in our 30DS, great country, get ready for some mountain climbing but we did fine on the roughest climbs. Oregon wont let you pump your own gas but other than that its a great area. The KOA's up in that area are all good as far as I can tell.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:17 AM   #5

Quote:
We are very excited since we will be heading to Yellowstone ( we'll join another family member here), Grand Tetons...
We are also heading to Yellowstone and the Tetons for our first long trip! But we're leaving a month later than you, & then we'll head homeward via the Nat'l Parks of the Southwest.

What route do you plan to take from CA to Yellowstone?
vacationlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:41 PM   #6
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationlovers View Post
We are also heading to Yellowstone and the Tetons for our first long trip! But we're leaving a month later than you, & then we'll head homeward via the Nat'l Parks of the Southwest.

What route do you plan to take from CA to Yellowstone?
Our plan is to head up I-15 out of SoCal and stop in Cedar City, UT first night. Then up Hwy. 89 to Draper, UT second night. Then head over I-80 to Evanston, WY and catch Hwy. 89 again up to Alpine, WY and stay the night before going to Jackson Hole for a few hours and then head up to Yellowstone on Hwy. 191.

Where in CA do you live?

Old 08-07-2015, 02:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Our plan is to head up I-15 out of SoCal and stop in Cedar City, UT first night.
Wow, that's an ambitious driving schedule! Google Maps says that first leg will take over 6 hours in a car. Most people don't drive their RV as fast as a car, to save gas. And they can't drive as many hours, because of the additional focus/attention required. I think you might find that schedule to be exhausting in an RV.

We'll be taking it much slower, aiming for 4 hours/day. We'll also head towards Vegas first, but then go north on 93 to Great Basin NP. Then east & north on UT 6 through Salt Lake City, and continuing north on UT 89 towards West Yellowstone.

After Yellowstone, we'll head south to Grand Teton NP.

How do you plan to sight-see in Yellowstone? Do you have a tow car? We don't. It looks like we could drive & park the RV at all the various stops within the park, but I feel like I couldn't enjoy the scenery as much if I was driving. So we'll be paying for two tours, one of the "north loop" and then the "south loop".

Quote:
Where in CA do you live?
We're in Thousand Oaks, not too far from you.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #8
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationlovers View Post
Wow, that's an ambitious driving schedule! Google Maps says that first leg will take over 6 hours in a car. Most people don't drive their RV as fast as a car, to save gas. And they can't drive as many hours, because of the additional focus/attention required. I think you might find that schedule to be exhausting in an RV.

We'll be taking it much slower, aiming for 4 hours/day. We'll also head towards Vegas first, but then go north on 93 to Great Basin NP. Then east & north on UT 6 through Salt Lake City, and continuing north on UT 89 towards West Yellowstone.

After Yellowstone, we'll head south to Grand Teton NP.

How do you plan to sight-see in Yellowstone? Do you have a tow car? We don't. It looks like we could drive & park the RV at all the various stops within the park, but I feel like I couldn't enjoy the scenery as much if I was driving. So we'll be paying for two tours, one of the "north loop" and then the "south loop".

We're in Thousand Oaks, not too far from you.

I'm used to driving 6-7 hours a day if need be. I drive straight through to Sequoia NP which takes 6 1/2 hrs.
From our house in Upland it takes 5 hours to drive to Cedar City by car so I figure another hour in the "Beasty".
If you stay on 89 you will be going in the south entrance to Yellowstone. If you want to go to W. Yellowstone you'll need to take I-15 then hwy 20 out of Idaho Falls, ID.
We do have a toad. We've taken the north loop tour (best way to do that route) and had a great time. Last time we were in YNP we were in a car so we covered most of it except for the east side.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #9

Do you know the approximate mpg you get towing your toad?
Old 08-07-2015, 11:35 PM   #10
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSurf View Post
Do you know the approximate mpg you get towing your toad?

This will be the first long haul test with the toad, so, no, I don't know at this time.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:48 AM   #11
Junior Retiree

I have a 2014 30DS towing a 2014 Honda CRV and get in the low 7's (mpg). I've towed over 5,000 miles so far and the MPG figure seems pretty consistent. Typically trying not to exceed 60 MPH.
Have a great trip!
Canuck2584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #12
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck2584 View Post
I have a 2014 30DS towing a 2014 Honda CRV and get in the low 7's (mpg). I've towed over 5,000 miles so far and the MPG figure seems pretty consistent. Typically trying not to exceed 60 MPH.
Have a great trip!
Exactly what we have Canuck2584. Hope we'll get the same mileage.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:07 PM   #13

Gas mileage

There's a long-running discussion of FR3 gas mileage on this thread:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...age-63290.html
Old 08-08-2015, 01:12 PM   #14

I tow a Corolla with my 30DS and have logged 9k. My low was 6, my high was 10. But usually in the mid 7 range. I also run my generator quite a bit going down the road.
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote