Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #41

I checked it... about 3/4 full. But thanks for the thought.

B
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #42

Let me know when you figure it out.
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:32 PM   #43

Okay, so I decided to just try turning it on last night... and it worked. Seemed to do fine all night. So, I have no idea why it flaked on me the previous night. Makes me think there's a loose wire or something. I guess I'll just wait to see if it fails again.

B
Old 01-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #44
Motoring

Barbara,

I am new at RV'ing and asked a co-worker about heating in Winter.... He said you will burn up a lot of gas running the heater and many people augment with an electric heater to save the gas.

He went on to say that the water heater and the fridge use barely any gas in comparison to running the central heater, which in his opinion would burn up a tank in 7-10 days. Or maybe a bit more. But I learned from this and thought I would pass it on. He's been RV'ing for more than 8 years. ( which is more than I)
grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #45

Well, I was under the impression that gas heat cost less than electric heat, but I guess time will tell. I'm in San Diego, so only use it at night and about the coldest it gets outside is ~40 F. The whole point of using the gas furnace was to save on the electric bill. I do have two electric heaters if I decide to switch back.

B
Old 01-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #46

When we go camping we use electric heaters when ever possible to conserve gas. Since we've never been at a site for more than a week so far, we never had a separate electric bill. Using the gas heater in the RV draws down the tank pretty quickly. Tonight and tomorrow night my wife (coincidentally named Barbara) and I will be in the RV in single digit temps, so we might need both.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:06 AM   #47

Greg,

I just posted on this under the LP thread. I am a full-timer and currently staying at parks on a monthly basis, so I do pay for electricity. Since I'm in San Diego, my heating needs aren't great, but I do like to keep the chill off the RV at night. This month I was using the electric heater every night. In the park I was at last month, my electric bill was $150, which seemed high. So, once I found out on this forum that I could turn off the A/C fan and the furnace was not that loud, I switched, about a week ago. I guess I'll see how that affects my electric bill and how fast I run down the propane.

Barbara
Old 01-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #48

My wife doesn't like running the heat, but tonight we'll have to. Next week I bring it in for warranty body work, so we can always top off our propane. Plus we'll have an electric blanket because of just how cold it is outside.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:16 PM   #49

Check out my blog for my last trip with the FR3. Yaquimagic.blogspot.com
Rolling Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #50

Just bought FR3 25DS and from the third dealer I went to! he really knew his stuff.
The build date is very important, this one has a diamond plate floor mat in the cab, no more carpet. It also has the LED light strip under the awning, standard. The mattress no folds almost in half, not 70/30 like the others. And this one and all newer ones have electric and gas for hot.
Bottom line I got a fantastic deal and they will also install two fantastic fans with covers. The five I had to choose from at three dealers were all different.
Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote