Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #1

Over cab bunk removal

I have a 2017 30 DS. Has anyone removed the bunk or just the rear half? I don't need the sleeping spot and would like to get rid of the weight. It's useless now. The front portion would be ok for small storage as there are open bins at the front which are not reachable with the bed closed.
Thanks for any help
MOstler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #2

I can' add anything other when you do the job report back to the forum so others can learn from your experience.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #3

Mostler I was working on this last night!

I am hoping to leave just the short actuated part because we keep drawers there. Just me and the wife and we have the 25DS so space is premium. I got the rear diconnected mechanically but discovered that the hinge between the two halves is welded to the frame. I started to remove the wooden/mirror piece that faces down and see if there is a way to remove/release the hinge and if not plant to dremel/grind away the welds to release the larger section. Then plan to put a nice stained wood lip to retain the drawers (for now 3 x 3 sterilite drawers work really well). Anyways i plan to work more on it tomorrow and see if i can release it. The sides were easy 2 bolts a side releases the front from the back except for the hinge.
KY25DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #4

Front Bunk

Removed mine. Added cabinets around the front. Really came out nice. Bought the cabnet doors from FR so all the doors and hardware matched.

Pictures were in the upgrades post from April May 2016
b1barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:56 PM   #5

It looks like there are just a pair of bolts on each side. Is that correct? It looks like maneuvering the frame out of the coach would be tricky
Old 09-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #6

Bed

Rasied the bed
Removed the front seats,
Removed the metal plates over the windows that the window sits on
Removed the rear section of the bed which is hinged on my 2015 30DS
Removed the front section of the bed, with help of wife. Disconnected the lift as they have a quick removal D ring.

Took all of about two hours to remove.

BB
Old 09-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #7

Thanks for the great info. The hinge between the front and rear portions of the bed is welded to the frames. Looks like I would have to remove the assembly as a unit. I don't want to grind the welds off inside the coach.
Thanks again for your help
Old 09-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #8

Bed

Mine was screwed. Pictures of final product attached.

Added doors to the side openings also.

Top picture of the inside, Insulated this area behind the front cap. Really helped the noise levels and keeps the area warmer in winter and cooler in summer. Also insulated behind the A-pillars next to the windshield.

Bottom picture of the finished area. Left the steel shelfs off when I replaced the pads on the bottom of the windows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1457411712.753083.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	151356  
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #9

Looks good, you did a great job. I hope mine turns out as well
Thanks again
Martin
Old 09-13-2017, 07:18 PM   #10

Martin, I would be interested in how it comes out. I still do not know how the bed comes out without cutting welds. Pictures on how to remove would be helpful if you succeed.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:13 AM   #11

Unfortunately, due to other commitments, I can't do it for a few weeks, but I will definitely post pictures. I'm thinking of cutting (sawing) the corners of the rear section frame next to the hinge. Leaving the hinge and covering it with a padded bolster. This will leave the small front portion as a shelf for storage and allow access to the 3 front bins. I'll let all know how it goes
Martin
Old 09-14-2017, 12:18 PM   #12

We are interested as well. Is it not possible to simply take out the mattress and add cabinets if you need them without adding a lot of extra weight? We haven't used the overhead bed yet in our 2016 FRF 2401W MBS. We just stack stuff (usually in a couple of carryon suitcases or a box or two) on top of the bed. We can then use it as a bed if ever needed? Sure as shooting, as soon as we take it out completely, a couple of grandsons will want to go camping with us!
dan & gerda
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1barnes View Post
Rasied the bed
Removed the front seats,
Removed the metal plates over the windows that the window sits on
Removed the rear section of the bed which is hinged on my 2015 30DS
Removed the front section of the bed, with help of wife. Disconnected the lift as they have a quick removal D ring.

Took all of about two hours to remove.

BB
You removed the bunk as a single piece instead of 2 pieces correct?

Im wanting to leave the shorter front part still in the down position for storage drawers. Will look at insulating those front cubbies. Less noise is always good!
Old 09-15-2017, 06:04 AM   #14

Wanting to add bunk

Can you tell me who makes the bunk component? And does it come out clean enough that it might be reinstalled in a different coach? My Georgetown 378 did not come with one and I would like to add it for the grandkids. Perhaps buy your parts?
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #15

My plan is to remove just half and retain the remainder for storage. I dont know who made the assembly, but if I find a label, I'll let you know
Old 09-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #16
from Cali

I don't use mine either. I chose to leave my bunk in place and add some prefab cabinets from Lowe's. They're bolted to the metal frame but easy to remove if I need the bed on a trip.

Just in case anyone's interested. I love to see what you guys come up with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	151596Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0100.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	151597
Central Coast of California
RV Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1barnes View Post
Mine was screwed. Pictures of final product attached.

Added doors to the side openings also.

Top picture of the inside, Insulated this area behind the front cap. Really helped the noise levels and keeps the area warmer in winter and cooler in summer. Also insulated behind the A-pillars next to the windshield.

Bottom picture of the finished area. Left the steel shelfs off when I replaced the pads on the bottom of the windows.
I did as you suggested and insulated the open cavities in the bunk area up top. Huge reduction in wind noise in the cabin while driving. I am going to insulate the side areas when i return from the current trip. But am very pleased with the results. Thanks for the idea.

Tags
bunk