Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #1

Over the cab bunk

Does anyone have any experience with driving while leaving the over the cab bunk in the down position? We sold our house and are carrying a bunch of extra stuff that we would like to store on the overhead bunk. Other than having reduced headroom while driving, are there any other items which we should be concerned with?
Old 06-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #2

We full-time and have the bunk down at all times. I removed the metal brackets the ladder rests on to save my scalp from further damage. Other than a few bumps... It's worth it.
gomatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:50 PM   #3

We use that storage space, but only for 'soft goods' (bedding, etc.)
We bought a cargo net, but never got around to putting in hooks to hold it in place so haven't used it. I am worried about stuff falling off unexpectedly underway. Even a 'soft good' could startle the driver.
PNWTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #4

We leave ours down and have stacked drawers there for clothing. We have a 25DS so space is tighter and 3x3 array of drawers (Sterilite) fit perfectly with storage behind.
KY25DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatch View Post
Does anyone have any experience with driving while leaving the over the cab bunk in the down position? We sold our house and are carrying a bunch of extra stuff that we would like to store on the overhead bunk. Other than having reduced headroom while driving, are there any other items which we should be concerned with?

Been drop Bing my around with the overhead bed down a while. Other than the one occasional bumps all good. I store stuff up there that will stay if for some reason you need to stop or accurate doesn't decide to fly.
Rolling Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:45 PM   #6

Rats...that's driving around.
Rolling Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:47 PM   #7

All the time ! Cause mister got a dartboard attached to it and his golf clubs are up there bahah
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #8

Heat and cold control

We lower the bunk and drape a heavy blanket down when heating and cooling is important

The cub controls do not heat and cool the entire unit
Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enconcapt View Post
We lower the bunk and drape a heavy blanket down when heating and cooling is important

The cub controls do not heat and cool the entire unit
You mean you do this while traveling to keep the driving cab area at a nicer temp? B/c That is a pretty neat idea.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #10

Yeah we have a bar added to the end of the bunk (2 2x4's with holes drilled on one end and a round rod for curtains). The 2x4's just keep the bunk up another couple of inches but it really helps. The curtains we use when parked. The furry family members like the front shade up about 6" when we are parked..so we added drapes. When we are not using them we use velcro ties to tie them up behind each captains chair. Makes it a lot cooler/warmer without the front sunroom. And since on my 2014 the captains chairs hate turning around we dont turn them. The few times i have turned them they basically cant recline so what is the point. Best part about the 2x4 method is that i can remove all of it in about 60 seconds.

But the front driver area is a huge source of heating during the day. Even hanging a blanket off the bunk will make a huge difference.
KY25DS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk