Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #1

Overhead bed magnetic attachment

Is anyone else having problems with their overhead bunk coming loose from the magnetic pads when hitting bumps on the road? I have only driven our FR3 30DS a few times and when I hit mild to medium road bumps the bed disconnects. It seems like it has a good magnetic hold and takes a good yank to disconnect it before lowering the bed. Just seems like it will put undo stress on the mechanism if I keep driving with it hanging there.

Adam
Ebirep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #2

I have had the same issue. Sometimes it comes loose without a big bump, I look up and the one corner is loose while the other is still attached. It seems like a simple latch to lock it in place would be a great addition.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #3

It happens to us too. I'd love to see other people's solutions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
auntieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #4

So far haven't had this problem.

jbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #5

no problem with the bunk here

2014 JEEP WRANGLER WILLYS
Bobb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
fdp

Ours seems to be ok
fdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #7
Sev

My bed did drop at first but it was because the cushion was not pushed toward the front of the coach. If the cushion is close to or on the lip of the base it will drop while driving.
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #8

You can't have any extra bedding or pillows up there or it will drop!
Brewster McFrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:16 PM   #9

This is a minimal issue but extremely frustrating to me. I can't seem to keep the passenger side attached. I have messed with the mattress and tried to force it to stay but no joy. On my rig, I think that it may be an alignment issue as much as anything else. I plan on messing with it over the winter time. Until then, I just let it rattle with the absurd wind noise....

wolfgang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:38 PM   #10

Wolfgang,
The noise your hearing is probably coming from your weep holes at the bottom of your front Windows. Try temporarily putting tape over the holes and driving at freeway speeds to see if it makes a difference as it sure did with ours. I added "weep hole covers" and now I can actually hear the dh from the copilot seat
Old 11-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #11

Thank you for the advice. I am guessing that the weep holes are at the bottom of the windshield but do you have a picture? Thanks again!

wolfgang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #12

No weep holes are the slots at the bottom of your side Windows. Just look at the slots on the black area at the bottom below the windows, 2ea
Old 12-06-2014, 11:17 PM   #13
2015 FR3

Would it hurt anything to drive with the bunk down? We have a 2015 FR3 30DS. Waiting for the ladder the dealer ordered for us. Does anyone else have a ladder?
JEGNCJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:32 AM   #14

Smile Follow up to my Bed problem

My problems been fixed. When we picked up our FR3 I noticed that the magnets were loose on the roof that the bed attached to and the dealer tightened them up. The dealer contacted Forest River about the problem and the engineer informed them that the magnets are designed to be loose and have some play in them. Since they loosened them back up I have driven about 400 miles and have had no problems. With them fully tightened I wasn't making it but a few miles without the bed detaching. Hope this helps anyone that is having problems.
Ebirep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:25 AM   #15

I does not hurt to drive with bunk down, it is helpful in fact if you are relying on the cab for heat or cold. Lower the bunk and then drape a blanket from the bunk to the floor and you will be nice and warm in the winter or cool in the summer. The cab is not meant to, and not capable of heating or cooling the entire coach.

I found a great ladder from Stohmberg Carlson, eTrailer.com had the best price. The black one looks like factory and comes with hook attachment that works real well. I padded the hooks with self stick felt like you put on the bottom of a table or chair. Sold in strips at most hardware stores. The hooks let you use the ladder in any spot, no need for a bracket on the bunk.

Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #16

I would love to just remove the front bunk since we do not need or want it there. I have not figured out how, so if anyone out there has done it, hints would be appreciated.

Tags
bed