Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2017, 11:16 PM   #1

Overhead Bunk Bed

Has anyone had problems with the bunk bed coming loose when the rig hits hard bumps? The bed is attached with magnets in two places on my 2015 FR3 but it constantly separates from the magnets. What are the fixes? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

khguzman
khguzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by khguzman View Post
Has anyone had problems with the bunk bed coming loose when the rig hits hard bumps? The bed is attached with magnets in two places on my 2015 FR3 but it constantly separates from the magnets. What are the fixes? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

khguzman

I have a 2015 30DS also. The only time I ever had problems was when I tightened the magnets to the ceiling. They are loose for a reason. Once I returned them to their original setting, I never had the bunk come loose again and I drive these lousy California highways constantly. There are several posts where others have fabricated supports using wood closet poles and rubber chair leg bumpers on each end. Then inserting them between the bottom of the bunk and the top of the metal ledge.
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #3

Leisurelarry is right. The magnets have to be loose.
welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:20 PM   #4
Curiouser and Curiouser

Before I took the advice others offered on this site regarding the large dowel that fits between the bunk supports and the bottom of the bunk, I had my magnets, loose, tight and in-between and still the bunk fell on the many, many potholes and expansion joints that are misaligned on California highways. The dowell did the trick and did not require any modification to the coach that can not be completely removed without any evidence that it was ever there. If you can get it to stay up with just loosening the magnets, great. But if you can't the dowel will do the trick!
Old 04-23-2017, 08:21 PM   #5
edm

We had problems with the bunk magnets at first. We also had the center screw back clear out and drop the magnet clear out. My answers to the problem was to adj the magnets so that they made full contact with the bunk. That cured the problem of the bunk dropping down. Then put a set screw in the wood block that holds the magnets so that the center screw could no longer back out.
We have run about 15000 miles with no issues. We ran from Oregon to Boston via the south then back home. Still no problems.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bunk