Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2018, 05:01 PM   #1

Overhead Bunk Control Box and Motor

I have a forest river FR 328DS, 2015 model with an electric overhead bunk.
Our overhead bunk quit working and I have a service repair guy trying to fix it. He has tested everything up to the motor which is in the front of the cab above the driver seat. He says that there is no access to get to the motor and pull it out. He also cannot find the controller for the motor. He has tested all the power up to the front switches and has determined it either is a short in the motor, a short in the control box, or there’s a break in the electrical line somewhere near the motor.
Can anybody advise how to find the controller for the motor? Also, is there any easy access to the motor or Controller? Is there an easy way to remove the motor?

The motor is a Progressive Automation linear Lift Model # PA-14-8-150.
Dolce2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:15 AM   #2

There is no EASY way to get it out. I replaced one of my actuators and it takes small hands. Get the bunk flat, remove the bolts that connect the actuator to the bunk (only one side on mine failed- would be surprised if both your actuators went bad at same time). Reach back up to head of actuator by pushing your hand thru the rubber material to the head of the actuator it is only held on with a safety pin/clasp. Release the clasp - remove actuator, you will likely have to cut the wires (I built a little connecting harness). Put in new actuator and connect it up to the wiring. Sounds simple - and it would be if it was easier to reach up in there. There may be easier access somewhere that someone on the forum can point out.

Jackthe3rd
2015 FR3 30DS
Jackthe3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #3

Thanks!!
Dolce2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk