Old 01-24-2018, 07:22 AM   #1

Owners of newer Jeep Cherokee flat towing

For those of you that needed the Mopar flat tow wiring kit to stop the front end WOBBLE, how much battery does it draw towing for a full day? Do you need to start the car during the day to recharge the battery? I've been waiting 11 weeks for my order to come in and just wondering how it works and what you have to do with it installed.

Thanks

Orider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:39 AM   #2

First thing to do is make your dealership install the flat tow harness for free. You are buying the Cherokee to tow and you need it installed to do it. I installed this battery charger. You can find cheaper ones, but check their amperage output and capabilities against the specs on this:

LINK: https://rvibrake.com/collections/sho...ant=8804388741

Part of the harness is a switch installed in the console and a fuse added under the hood. Rather than deal with removing/installing the fuse every time I connected/disconnected, I installed a lighted switch in-line with the fuse, so I only have to flip the switch ON/OFF. You might be able to get your dealership to add one when they install your harness.

LINK: For those with a 2014 and up Jeep Cherokee

AL

1997 F-350 CC PSD
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:51 AM   #3

Jeep Stearing Power harness

Thanks for the tip. After waiting 11 weeks for the "KIT" they will be no charge for the kit or installation. I was curious if it really will drain the battery in the Jeep, and I guess it does. So when the kit is installed, you need to just pull the fuse? I like your FIX for this much better.
Orider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:43 AM   #4

No. When you tow, the fuse is installed providing power to the electronic power steering which prevents the wobble. That power usage is what could possibly drain your battery along with the power used by a braking system and lights. If you tow a long period of time, it could drain your battery. The battery charger is to prevent that. On the switch I installed, when you turn it on it illuminates and you know power is applied.

AL
1997 F-350 CC PSD
Old 01-24-2018, 01:37 PM   #5

Thanks for the tip on the switch. Did not think of that. Will go get one

Wayne
knoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #6

The card that is given when the towing mod is installed on a Jeep Cherokee states that the battery can drain in three hours of use. I can attest that if you forget to pull the under hood fuse, it will drain in something like 36 hours. I took our motor-home and Jeep to a RV repair shop while traveling and they said it would be easy to run a 12V line to the power socket on the RV if not already there. It was. Then all they needed to do was run from the socket on the front of the Jeep to the battery through a fuse. Jeep battery stays charged as long as you remember to pull the fuse or install a switch as a previous person mentioned. I have read that Jeep USA no longer underwrites the price of the mod or installation. Would be a good point of discussion when purchasing.
Navigator = Xiangbing
Crew = NaNa & NiuNiu
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoddy View Post
Thanks for the tip on the switch. Did not think of that. Will go get one

Wayne
It really helps when you are hooking up or disconnecting in the dark. No more fumbling around with that little blade fuse.

AL
1997 F-350 CC PSD
Old 01-24-2018, 04:36 PM   #8

Mopar flat tow wiring kit

Just a comment on the Mopar flat tow wiring kit. I have a 2017 Cherokee Trailhawk. Nothing was said concerning the need to have a wiring kit. Salesman didn't know anything about it, service dept. didn't know anything about it. Service dept. said there wasn't one available for 2017 therefor wasn't needed. Called Jeep customer service. After going back and forth the final answer was that the problem had been resolved for 2017. Talked to person this summer who had 2016 Latitude and he had the "death wobble" occur several times, so he had kit installed. I have gone several thousand miles without kit with no problem. However if you check owners manual it definitely states you need the kit. Sooo, very confused. Until I have a problem I won't spend the several hundred dollars to purchase and have installed.
DAB2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB2014 View Post
Just a comment on the Mopar flat tow wiring kit. I have a 2017 Cherokee Trailhawk. Nothing was said concerning the need to have a wiring kit. Salesman didn't know anything about it, service dept. didn't know anything about it. Service dept. said there wasn't one available for 2017 therefor wasn't needed. Called Jeep customer service. After going back and forth the final answer was that the problem had been resolved for 2017. Talked to person this summer who had 2016 Latitude and he had the "death wobble" occur several times, so he had kit installed. I have gone several thousand miles without kit with no problem. However if you check owners manual it definitely states you need the kit. Sooo, very confused. Until I have a problem I won't spend the several hundred dollars to purchase and have installed.

Just had the wiring installed as I thought if I am going through major cities while towing my trailhawk the last thing I need is a ...death wobble...just one more thing I eliminated

lazbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, towing