Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #1

Ownership: The good, bad, and ugly

We are three trips in and each trip presented itself with a unique test of our resolve. In the next few posts I will tell my story. Some good, some bad and a lot of ugly. My kind wife has nicknamed our new FR3 30DS
'POS' so I will loving refer to it as that.

Why is the shower coming off the wall?
Why are the drawers not all closing flush?
Why is that piece over the slide door not even with the wall?
Why is that contact paper separating from the wall?
Why are there chips in the metal around the tv?

Calm down honey, the POS is under warranty and we will have everything fixed before our first big trip. It is a home on wheels, we know there will be problems.

Until next time
Jim
strangerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangerj View Post
We are three trips in and each trip presented itself with a unique test of our resolve. In the next few posts I will tell my story. Some good, some bad and a lot of ugly. My kind wife has nicknamed our new FR3 30DS 'POS' so I will loving refer to it as that. Why is the shower coming off the wall? Why are the drawers not all closing flush? Why is that piece over the slide door not even with the wall? Why is that contact paper separating from the wall? Why are there chips in the metal around the tv? Calm down honey, the POS is under warranty and we will have everything fixed before our first big trip. It is a home on wheels, we know there will be problems. Until next time Jim
Lol... For the first 4 months, after every trip out we had to take it back to the dealership, the storage unit that we payed for, it never saw the motorhome! I would come back from each trip so upset! One trip over a holiday period, that we were suppose to stay at for 6 days had to come back on the 2nd day with no refund due to it being a holiday. BUT..... Last trip was awesome, no problems, I love it. It gets better, things get fixed!

Happy Froggers in Texas!
Lorigirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #3

Thanks for the encouragement, I figured I was not alone in this.
Anyways...
I have some time, and the POS is our second home so lets do some remodeling. First lets get those locks on the outside all pointing the same direction. While I am being anal lets adjust all the drawers so they all have a slight upward tilt when level. The bedroom TV is a must. Put some clear plastic corners on the sharp edges. Don't want to mar that expensive finish on the cabinetry. That table is heavy so I am going to use aluminum instead of plastic there. Why does that decorative panel on the fridge keep falling down? Oh yea, they forgot to glue it to the wood panel backing. Projects complete, time for camping. Vents closed, storage locked, slides in, jacks up. I said jacks up! Oh no, whats wrong with the jacks? Honey, I don't think we are going anywhere tonight.

more to come
Jim
Old 10-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #4

This would make for a good show if played out on TV. I know its not funny at the moment but a year from now you will be able to play all this out at the campsite to get a few laughs. Having owned 3 trailers there is a story to tell on each one with the issues we faced. Hang in there..
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement, I figured I was not alone in this.
Anyways...
I have some time, and the POS is our second home so lets do some remodeling. First lets get those locks on the outside all pointing the same direction. While I am being anal lets adjust all the drawers so they all have a slight upward tilt when level. The bedroom TV is a must. Put some clear plastic corners on the sharp edges. Don't want to mar that expensive finish on the cabinetry. That table is heavy so I am going to use aluminum instead of plastic there. Why does that decorative panel on the fridge keep falling down? Oh yea, they forgot to glue it to the wood panel backing. Projects complete, time for camping. Vents closed, storage locked, slides in, jacks up. I said jacks up! Oh no, whats wrong with the jacks? Honey, I don't think we are going anywhere tonight.

more to come
Jim

I hope more to come! These posts are downright entertaining! If I find out where you're parked I'm coming over to mess with the RV just to see what you write.

Since I am already editing my mistaken classification I want to add that is a great looking RV!

In truth, these thing always have something, that is sure. I believe some dealers make more on warranty claims than the initial sale. In the end, when you are sitting at your destination relaxing, it is all worth it.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #6

Well, I guess I was lucky. Maybe my travel trailer was built on a Tuesday or a Wednesday. I actually owned it for over a year, that's right, for the warranty period... and nothing failed. Now that the warranty is over... I just replaced the pump and the sink. At the beginning of our last trip. Dee Dee accused the pup of peeing in the floor. I told her that I didn't think the dog could pee soap suds so the investigation began. Yep, the large side of the sink had cracked in 3 places, radiating out from the drain. The next morning, I noticed water trickling down the outside of the trailer, from the fresh-water fill cap. Yep, the pump apparently had been damaged by a some construction debris that got in there somehow. Now it didn't function as a check valve anymore. Now, mind you, there have been quite a few little things I have fixed that were just too hurriedly installed, or where a better fastener could have been used in those ultra-quality luan walls. Oh, and I replaced my own skylight on the recall thing. Other than that, I've really enjoyed our trailer. I have used it quite a bit, including living in it for 8 weeks while selling/buying our homes and moving from Amarillo to Weatherford. It is, though, as you say... a POS. No doubt about it.

That all being said, When I go fly fishing, I am generally on the river and not in a cabin, or resort. When I go to model glider competitions, I stay at the field, usually. Every night is a party around someone's fire ring and usually there are a few fellow musicians with guitars, fiddles, mandolins, etc... and it IS all worth it!

Above all...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #7

Quote:
We are three trips in and each trip presented itself with a unique test of our resolve. In the next few posts I will tell my story. Some good, some bad and a lot of ugly. My kind wife has nicknamed our new FR3 30DS 'POS' so I will loving refer to it as that. Why is the shower coming off the wall? Why are the drawers not all closing flush? Why is that piece over the slide door not even with the wall? Why is that contact paper separating from the wall? Why are there chips in the metal around the tv? Calm down honey, the POS is under warranty and we will have everything fixed before our first big trip. It is a home on wheels, we know there will be problems. Until next time Jim
So sorry to learn that your new toy has the name, POS now. How disappointing!!

We had an issue with our shower doing the same thing. Thankfully my DB is pretty handy with things. With a full tube of caulk, and five days of drying, we have a perfect shower stall. He also added the splash guards based on others recommendations and it's worked perfectly.

We have found a few other little things on our FR3, that we are taking in for fix ups.... Missing part of counter laminate next to the fridge, the laminate on the wall at the bottom of the wall where the slider/hall door coming up... The only other thing I notice that is kind of funky is that the "control panel" in hall to check levels is completely cock-eyed. Ummm, you'd think that could be framed level!! But thankfully nothing to make me call her a POS.

Good luck! I hope you get all the bugs worked out!!

Cheers!
Pam
Pammyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyjams View Post
So sorry to learn that your new toy has the name, POS now. How disappointing!! We had an issue with our shower doing the same thing. Thankfully my DB is pretty handy with things. With a full tube of caulk, and five days of drying, we have a perfect shower stall. He also added the splash guards based on others recommendations and it's worked perfectly. We have found a few other little things on our FR3, that we are taking in for fix ups.... Missing part of counter laminate next to the fridge, the laminate on the wall at the bottom of the wall where the slider/hall door coming up... The only other thing I notice that is kind of funky is that the "control panel" in hall to check levels is completely cock-eyed. Ummm, you'd think that could be framed level!! But thankfully nothing to make me call her a POS. Good luck! I hope you get all the bugs worked out!! Cheers! Pam
Oh..... I finally figured out what POS stood for. I know how she feels!i called mine that at first, and I never cuss! But I promise, it gets so much better! I'm totally in love with it now.
Lorigirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #9

LOL!

All I can hear right now is Robin Williams and the bunch singing "big old rolling t@rd".....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

The only thing bad/ugly is laying out that much cash for the trailer and depleting the savings account. Other than that, it is only good.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #11

Thanks for the encouragement, we do have fun every time we go out...

call here, try this. call there, try that. Last resort was to spin the jacks up with a drill, although they forgot to tell me I had to open up those valves. Sat there spinning for hours. If they would of just told me to check that fuse. Just got my new light string for the awning, I think I will try it out. Wherr..., pop, click, click, click. Made it out a foot. Luckily we are going to the beach and that is nothing a couple of easy ups can't fix. Disaster adverted. My daughter can't seem to heat anything up in the microwave, works for me. Operator error? We will see in a later post. Time for the parents. One last load of supplies, crash, bang, ouch. There I am laying on the ground looking at the steps swaying in the wind. There is a sheared pin and a gear nearby. Well, lash it up and away we go.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #12

This thread is great though I am sorry to hear of the woes you are having... Keep the POS saga coming. We have around 20,000 miles on this 5er and love it but at times it is frustrating. Like yesterday I looked at the rig after unhooking it and wondered why it looked lopsided. Since my driveway is level I investigated and discovered an arm on the axel was broken and the others were looking stressed. Easy fix if I only had the jacks that could lift the rig and the stands to support and the interest to get under the rig getting my hands dirty. But, alas I don't... I just want the problem to go away and writing a check makes that happen. So off to the shop I go.
chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #13

Hmmmm...maybe the fr3 is not the best choice for me, sounds like it's poorly (?) built...I woukd hate to pay 70,000 plus and have all the issues you have had
aussie okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #14

I wouldn't call the FR3 "poorly built". There have been issues for sure, but candidly we've have some issues with our Georgetown. It's hard to blame Forest River for a step that malfunctions. Or a leveler issue. Those are likely Lippert components. Various cosmetic issues can be bothersome, but in the grand scheme of things, they aren't deal breakers for me. I knew when looking at the coach (this would apply to both the Georgetowns and FR3's) before buying that in place of hardwoods they use laminates, wood-look tape for seams, etc. Now that a few of those seams don't look perfect, its not a shock to me.

At the end of the day, if you stand the FR3 next to a Thor ACE, the FR3 wins hands down. I references the significant differences between the coaches in previous threads.
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43D18 View Post
I wouldn't call the FR3 "poorly built". There have been issues for sure, but candidly we've have some issues with our Georgetown. It's hard to blame Forest River for a step that malfunctions. Or a leveler issue. Those are likely Lippert components. Various cosmetic issues can be bothersome, but in the grand scheme of things, they aren't deal breakers for me. I knew when looking at the coach (this would apply to both the Georgetowns and FR3's) before buying that in place of hardwoods they use laminates, wood-look tape for seams, etc. Now that a few of those seams don't look perfect, its not a shock to me.

At the end of the day, if you stand the FR3 next to a Thor ACE, the FR3 wins hands down. I references the significant differences between the coaches in previous threads.
Thanks...I am just new to the RV world and am looking at the FR3, I was beginning to think I had chosen badly. I understand all RV's will have minor issues just like anything else that is mechanical and moves. Guess not the best thread for a newbie lol
aussie okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #16
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43D18 View Post

I have to disagree with your "it's hard to blame Forest River for a step that malfunctions" statement.

As has been discussed here under this and similar threads regarding the quality of some FR products.

When you buy a FR product, you don't to Lippert or their stair vendor or their leveler vendor separately, you go to FR directly.

As a customer of FR,you should expert them to monitor the quality and performance of their vendor supplied components.

IMO FR is not living up to their responsibly to provide their customer with the best possible RV,including all their vendor products and to take corrective action when their vendors don't supply a quality product.

These steps and other products have been problems for some time and FR should take responsibly to make sure their vendors correct known problems.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #17
RKR

Before I bought my 5er I checked other forums for feedback. Pretty much the same type of feedbacks.
We all know bad news travels faster and gets more attention. Many people don't even join a forum such as this unless they have problems and want to vent.
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #18

my guess is if FR were to build their RV's with the best of everything and used a highly skilled work force, many people would complain that they cost too much. Sure there are better components to build with but are you willing to pay 100,000 for a 5th wheel that looks much like the 50,000 unit, I think not. What you are buying when you purchase an RV is a bunch of compromises both in quality parts and design.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #19

Indeed Bob34787.
You can poke around online and find someone, somewhere who proclaims "I'll never buy another "X" brand RV" because of some issues they had. We found several such proclamations for every single unit we've shopped for since we've been RV'ing. At the end of the day, we've found FR to be responsive to the issues we've had. For the money we paid, it's a sound coach.
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote