Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2015, 01:27 AM   #1
Junior Retiree

Palm Springs Bound in February

Hi all, heading down to Palm Springs in February from the Vancouver BC area. This will be our 3rd trip to PS in our 2014 FR3 30DS. We like to head over to US 101 at Olympia Wash and travel down the coast rather than straight down I5 thus avoiding a couple of high passes in the winter. Beautiful relaxing drive except for just north and south of San Francisco where the 101 is extremely rough - it feels like the walls of the FR3 are going to fold outwards right there on the highway!

Are there any recommended routes just north of San Fran from the 101 that can be used to avoid the worst stretch of roads and are suitable for an RV?

Cheers!
Canuck2584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:45 PM   #2
KMA

Just be careful with this upcoming 'Godzilla' el nino around that time..
Supposed to be worst ever recorded. I have canceled (or hold) all my trips between Jan-Mar.
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #3

Sounds fun! You could take 128 off 101 at Geyersville which will take you through "Wine Country", Calistoga, St Helena, Napa, etc.... It is a bit windy at first, not extreme, but it mellows out. It will also add travel time to your trip, but it is scenic. If you like wine though, it's worth the extra time. I've only done it in a car, so I don't know if it's RV rough. It eventually turns into 29 which ends at I-80, hit I-880 in Oakland (just keep going) and you'll connect back to 101 in Santa Clara/San Jose, aka "Silicon Valley".
Enjoy!

Antone

2015 Forest River FR3 30DS - No Ragrets

Toad - 2011 Jeep Wrangler
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:42 AM   #4

If you want to avoid traffic you can take 37 just south of Novato to Vallejo to 80 to 780 in Benicia to 680 south which meets up with 101 in San Jose. Or take 580 Richmond bridge to 880 south to 101.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:26 AM   #5
Junior Retiree

Smile

Thanks for the suggestions folks, don't mind the extra travel time, good excuse to leave a bit earlier
Cheers!
Canuck2584 is offline   Reply With Quote