Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2019, 04:41 PM   #1

Parking at Home

Hi all,
Looking to create a parking space at home for the FR3. The space would be separate from but alongside the driveway. Anyone make a parking space? What material, and what type of contractor did you use?
Thanks in advance.....
followingfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:06 PM   #2

Road bond gravel (it packs tight). Carolina Carport to cover the trailer.

In the past, I have used a different grade of gravel. Mistake. Eight years later, and it still hasn't packed.
NC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingfreddy View Post
Hi all,
Looking to create a parking space at home for the FR3. The space would be separate from but alongside the driveway. Anyone make a parking space? What material, and what type of contractor did you use?
Thanks in advance.....

Ideally one would use concrete for the parking space. A slab poured so the portion where the tires would sit are level from side to side and the rest with some slope, about 1/8th inch per foot, to a natural drainage point.

I built my own pad. I chose crushed rock for the material. I scraped off the topsoil and sod down about 6", sloped the bare soil toward an existing french drain, then filled the area with some 1/2-5/8" crushed "free draining rock. Ran a pan type vibrator over it to get the rock as well compressed as possible. The area was pretty flat to begin with so I only worried about side to side level. I back trailer onto pad and it's side/side level. When disconnected I then finish leveling by raising/lowering tongue jack then putting down stabilizer jacks.

The free draining crushed rock is cheaper than concrete, stays in place pretty well, and I don't have any water pooling around tires. Do need to apply some "Roundup" or other grass/weed killer annually but no big deal.

Some prefer concrete but I am able to achieve the same purpose at a fraction of cost and if I ever decide to get rid of RV's (fat chance) the gravel can easily be removed and grass planted. Concrete is a little more difficult.

One recommendation, before building a pad check to see what utilities are nearby. Run power, water, and possibly a "Sewer Cleanout" to the side where your RV utilities are connected (cable too as then you have a great guest house or "escape capsule"). Easier to do this when you are building than trying to add later. I have a 30 amp power post at mine. Water and sewer were too far away to be practical.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parking

« Slide-outs | Fuses »