Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2016, 10:40 AM   #1

Unhappy Patio awning destroyed

OK folks, I now must admit that I made the dumbest mistake possible, and forgot to retract the awning (despite the pre-departure checklist that I have) before attempting to leave our campground. The awning was completely destroyed, and I had to remove everything in order to drive away. I'm glad the campground had a very large dumpster where I could throw all the mangled parts.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on replacing the awning. I imagine that Forest River will charge a fortune for a new one, and it'll take months to get it. The dealer Service Dept is closed for the holiday, so I can't talk to them until next Tues. Does anyone know the brand of the FR3 awning? I don't have any literature on it. I see that Camping World has a similar Dometic awning for about $900 (plus installation, of course).

Thanks for any tips you might have.
vacationlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationlovers View Post
OK folks, I now must admit that I made the dumbest mistake possible, and forgot to retract the awning (despite the pre-departure checklist that I have) before attempting to leave our campground. The awning was completely destroyed, and I had to remove everything in order to drive away. I'm glad the campground had a very large dumpster where I could throw all the mangled parts.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on replacing the awning. I imagine that Forest River will charge a fortune for a new one, and it'll take months to get it. The dealer Service Dept is closed for the holiday, so I can't talk to them until next Tues. Does anyone know the brand of the FR3 awning? I don't have any literature on it. I see that Camping World has a similar Dometic awning for about $900 (plus installation, of course).

Best route is take plenty of pictures for insurance, and talk to your dealer. Your pricing is about right........ about $1500 installed plus or minus. You will not need to go through Forest River as the very same awning can be purchased through the dealer through their parts suppliers.

Good Luck

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #3
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

It should be a Dometic awning. The 30DS should be a 16'. I would shop around. Dealers always mark prices up for parts and, labor prices are through the roof, JMHO. There are plenty of Dometic dealers around and I'll bet you can find a good shop to do the install for less.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationlovers View Post

Assuming you have insurance, DO IT! Otherwise, the material is about $750 or so. I found this out on my first RV trips in my old TT, when rounding a corner I let a stop sign skip accross my awning. When I say skip, every 8 inches there were cuts about 2 layers deep. It just bounced along cutting the awning. I repaired it with awning repair tape and blew it off after I was told it costs $750. Could of insured it, but fell so STUPID about the whole event, I just kept it to myself and repaired it. lol.
linchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:58 AM   #5

If you have a $500 or even a $1000 insurance deductible you might want to reserve that for a real big repair lest your premiums go up. About $1500 for a Dometic 9100 electric awning, plus install, as I recall.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Shop around. Camping wold always high. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:32 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Should have saved the awning motor and the torsion spring. One bolt and drill out 3 rivets on each end and you have spares.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning