Old 04-23-2019, 10:40 AM   #1

Piece of wood trim breaks off when slide goes out

On my 2018 FR3 30ds, a little piece of wood trim maybe 2.5" long just above the floor keeps breaking off every time I put the driver side slide in or out. This is at the corner of the dinette where it backs up to the couch. I've glued it back and even put screws in it but it still breaks off every time. Obviously something underneath the dinette is raised up and is hitting it but I can't see anything to cause this. It's just a cosmetic thing but is very annoying. Anyone else have this problem? If so, were you able to fix it? Thanks. P.S. I will post a picture of it when I find it.

jimlitwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:46 AM   #2

Wood trim location

I should have clarified that the wood trim that breaks is on the very outside of the dinette, below the bench seat that is closest to the front of the motorhome. It is at the very corner of the outside edge of the dinette unit.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:36 AM   #3

Picture of broken trim

Something is obviously hitting this trim every time I put the slide out. I guess I could just shave some wood off the bottom of the piece so hopefully it won't catch? Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FR3 Broken wood trim.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	203221  
Old 04-30-2019, 07:08 AM   #4

Yep.... I think first time I maybe had something in the way of the slide and I just think its a weak point.. I try to ignore it. Glued back in place several times. OH WELL.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlitwin View Post
Something is obviously hitting this trim every time I put the slide out. I guess I could just shave some wood off the bottom of the piece so hopefully it won't catch? Any other suggestions? Thanks.
On mine the dinette platform wasn't square. It made the theater seat on that side bind against the molding. I removed the molding and trimmed the platform to get more room. In the process, I split my trim (like yours). I used Gorilla to repair it. Time will tell if it will hold!
mtnjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaldwin View Post
Yep.... I think first time I maybe had something in the way of the slide and I just think its a weak point.. I try to ignore it. Glued back in place several times. OH WELL.
Thanks. Glad to know I am not the only one with this problem. It might be a weak point but that is pretty heavy duty screw I put in there and it popped right off. That took a fair amount of force. But when slide is all the way out, I see no obstacles that would cause that!
Old 04-30-2019, 08:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnjeeper View Post
On mine the dinette platform wasn't square. It made the theater seat on that side bind against the molding. I removed the molding and trimmed the platform to get more room. In the process, I split my trim (like yours). I used Gorilla to repair it. Time will tell if it will hold!
Thanks
Old 04-30-2019, 07:01 PM   #8

We used epoxy and raised the trim piece just a hair. Also placed some self-adhesive softy material under the edge to keep the room from resting on the floor directly and possibly tearing the floor covering. Has seemed to help and the trim on the corner has not come off again.
2006 GMC Canyon (toad)
FR3Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:48 PM   #9

Thanks for the good ideas

I never thought about that edge rubbing the floor a little on the way out. I think I will shave a little off the bottom of the piece and hopefully that will do the trick.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:48 PM   #10

Here's a picture of the white substance that is there when put the slide out after a day of driving. It comes right off when I wipe it with a damp paper towel.

Tags
slide