Old 08-09-2015, 11:51 PM   #1

Pioneer Head Unit - Kaput

I am a new RVer. We just picked up our first - a 2016 28DS. Mostly, we're really liking it, especially the floorplan. There are some minor fixes on the punch list for the dealer, but nothing major. Well, one is important:

The AV/Backup camera/DVD player head unit is dead. It refuses to power on at all. It worked while driving from the dealer home, and for about a week afterwards. I have checked each fuse (main fusebox, the 10A in the head unit, fuses near the battery bay, the circuit breakers, etc) I can confirm via multitester that the head unit is receiving power, at least at the crimp connections behind the unit itself.

Importantly, there is a pretty small (a couple of drips) leak that drops in the general area of that panel, but there was no visible moisture or other damage on the unit itself.

I reseated each connection I could, no effect. Other components in the vicinity work - the 12V plugs, switches for the shade, etc.

I've tried a few variations on turning it on - the whole 'hold down DISP until it turns back on' and a bunch of others.

if it does need to be replaced, it should be a simple swap, the harnesses and connections look like they slip in and out easily.

Any ideas?

Old 08-12-2015, 03:48 PM   #2

My FR3 2016 pioneer head unit went kaput as well. Won't power on. Called the dealer and am getting the run around. Hope you get a better response.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:19 PM   #3

Its going back in to the dealer tomorrow, getting some punch-list stuff fixed, and getting some options installed (fans, etc), so the head unit will be on the punch list. I'll reply back with whatever the result is.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:23 PM   #4
Done with this

Sometimes those head units work again when disconnected from the power source overnight. I've seen it work before. Might be worth a try...

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:44 PM   #5

I ended up getting a replacement ordered from FR (under warranty), and once my dealer received it, I drove out and picked it up, then installed it myself.

Hardest part was reproducing the factory settings with the cameras, but that was also simple. Super-trivial installation, and it has done the trick. So far.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEGV View Post
I am a new RVer. We just picked up our first - a 2016 28DS. Mostly, we're really liking it, especially the floorplan. There are some minor fixes on the punch list for the dealer, but nothing major. Well, one is important:

The AV/Backup camera/DVD player head unit is dead. It refuses to power on at all. It worked while driving from the dealer home, and for about a week afterwards. I have checked each fuse (main fusebox, the 10A in the head unit, fuses near the battery bay, the circuit breakers, etc) I can confirm via multitester that the head unit is receiving power, at least at the crimp connections behind the unit itself.

Importantly, there is a pretty small (a couple of drips) leak that drops in the general area of that panel, but there was no visible moisture or other damage on the unit itself.

I reseated each connection I could, no effect. Other components in the vicinity work - the 12V plugs, switches for the shade, etc.

I've tried a few variations on turning it on - the whole 'hold down DISP until it turns back on' and a bunch of others.

if it does need to be replaced, it should be a simple swap, the harnesses and connections look like they slip in and out easily.

Any ideas?
Segv, Can you give me some tips on removing the head unit? I have the same problem, the 6 screws (3 on each side of the face plate) doesn't release the panel to get access to the head unit, so I assume there is a different way to release the headunit so I can check the connections and the fuse? Appreciate any help. Thanks. Jim
Old 10-13-2015, 08:25 PM   #7

Stick your hand under the dash and push from the rear, or use a putty knife to pop the edge so you can get a grip and just pull. They are not glued in any way. I have replaced my radio and it was a piece of cake.

MSG (Ret)
U.S. Army
Active-duty 66-92
2015 FR3 30DS
fpo1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:42 PM   #8

I (gently) lifted up on the switches (there is a small block of wood underneath, blocking easy access to the underside) and pulled away from the dash. It won't go more than a few inches before you disconnect all the cables running to it.
I took close up pictures with my phone before I disconnected anything.
Once that's off, there are (2?) bolts from a plastic support brace on either side, and a heap of cables in teh back. Take pictures for reference!

EDIT: And there is a fuse for the head unit behind the main cable harness.