Old 07-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #1

Poll on FR3 32DS carrying a spare tire

If I carry a spare tire, what is your opinion of what wheel to put it on , a front or rear wheel?

Or should I only carry a tire without a wheel, since a tire company will probably be needed to assist roadside.

Then they could demount a bad tire and remount the spare on the wheel which had the bad tire .

Bob

Kentucky Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Bob View Post
If I carry a spare tire, what is your opinion of what wheel to put it on , a front or rear wheel?

Or should I only carry a tire without a wheel, since a tire company will probably be needed to assist roadside.

Then they could demount a bad tire and remount the spare on the wheel which had the bad tire .

Bob

I've carried an OEM Unmounted Goodyear tire in my rear compartment for going on 4 years now in my 30DS. All roadside services I checked with said that is all I needed. Haven't had the need as of yet.

leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:56 AM   #3

I'm going back n forth on this. I have had all my wheels off to install some sumos, and it wasn't that difficult to do. Not sure I would feel comfortable doing along side some of the roads I've been on. I'm definitely going to get a tire, I have plenty of storage area for it, but still thinking over the rim with it.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:21 AM   #4

Stupid question, but are all the wheels the same ? Or are the front & rear wheels different ? I was thinking the fronts and rears are different
Old 07-12-2017, 07:38 PM   #5

They are different. I carry just a spare tire. Road side tire truck can handle from there.
KY25DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:14 PM   #6

What is different about the front and rear wheels on the Ford F53 chassis? I've always been told it is just how you mount them on any given position that is different, inward or outward, and that the wheels, and tires, interchange between all positions. That is how it is on my E-450SD and any other Ford dually I've owned. You might want to double check your Ford Owners Manual.

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:09 AM   #7

Spare Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Bob View Post
Stupid question, but are all the wheels the same ? Or are the front & rear wheels different ? I was thinking the fronts and rears are different
I called Ford motorhome help line yesterday and was told that the front and rear wheels are the same...

I don't believe their answer was correct , so I called again today and I am waiting on a call back.

I am looking at a crank up mechanism to hold a spare tire or tire & wheel combo made by TECA in Ohio.
It is very low cost and I think it will be perfect for holding a spare. Web address is www.tecaassembly.com/RV.html

Bob
Old 07-13-2017, 08:02 AM   #8

Front and rear wheels are both the same they are interchangeable just by turning them around I have a spare on my rig it fits front or back with no changing of the tire
anthony mazziotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #9

Thanks, I just talked again with Ford and they confirmed they are the same.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:28 PM   #10

I originally purchased the dealer's swap a tire program at your location if a flat occurs. Once I read the fine print, that was a lie - you'd have to be towed to the repair shop - read the fine print! I got a full refund back for that contract. I then purchased an expensive spare rim from Ford and then a tire for it. I keep it in the rear storage compartment - in the middle. Just feel much safer when out and about in rural areas.

Tags
fr3, tire