Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #1

Poll on FR3 32DS carrying a spare tire

If I carry a spare tire, what is your opinion of what wheel to put it on , a front or rear wheel?

Or should I only carry a tire without a wheel, since a tire company will probably be needed to assist roadside.

Then they could demount a bad tire and remount the spare on the wheel which had the bad tire .

Bob
Kentucky Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Bob View Post
If I carry a spare tire, what is your opinion of what wheel to put it on , a front or rear wheel?

Or should I only carry a tire without a wheel, since a tire company will probably be needed to assist roadside.

Then they could demount a bad tire and remount the spare on the wheel which had the bad tire .

Bob

I've carried an OEM Unmounted Goodyear tire in my rear compartment for going on 4 years now in my 30DS. All roadside services I checked with said that is all I needed. Haven't had the need as of yet.
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:56 AM   #3

I'm going back n forth on this. I have had all my wheels off to install some sumos, and it wasn't that difficult to do. Not sure I would feel comfortable doing along side some of the roads I've been on. I'm definitely going to get a tire, I have plenty of storage area for it, but still thinking over the rim with it.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:21 AM   #4

Stupid question, but are all the wheels the same ? Or are the front & rear wheels different ? I was thinking the fronts and rears are different
Old 07-12-2017, 07:38 PM   #5

They are different. I carry just a spare tire. Road side tire truck can handle from there.
KY25DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:14 PM   #6
Site Team

What is different about the front and rear wheels on the Ford F53 chassis? I've always been told it is just how you mount them on any given position that is different, inward or outward, and that the wheels, and tires, interchange between all positions. That is how it is on my E-450SD and any other Ford dually I've owned. You might want to double check your Ford Owners Manual.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:09 AM   #7

Spare Tire

Quote:
Stupid question, but are all the wheels the same ? Or are the front & rear wheels different ? I was thinking the fronts and rears are different
I called Ford motorhome help line yesterday and was told that the front and rear wheels are the same...

I don't believe their answer was correct , so I called again today and I am waiting on a call back.

I am looking at a crank up mechanism to hold a spare tire or tire & wheel combo made by TECA in Ohio.
It is very low cost and I think it will be perfect for holding a spare. Web address is www.tecaassembly.com/RV.html

Bob
Old 07-13-2017, 08:02 AM   #8

Front and rear wheels are both the same they are interchangeable just by turning them around I have a spare on my rig it fits front or back with no changing of the tire
anthony mazziotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #9

Thanks, I just talked again with Ford and they confirmed they are the same.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:28 PM   #10

I originally purchased the dealer's swap a tire program at your location if a flat occurs. Once I read the fine print, that was a lie - you'd have to be towed to the repair shop - read the fine print! I got a full refund back for that contract. I then purchased an expensive spare rim from Ford and then a tire for it. I keep it in the rear storage compartment - in the middle. Just feel much safer when out and about in rural areas.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:33 PM   #11

I carry an unmounted spare. On a home made carrier attached to the rear bumper. I have good Sam service and as long as you tell the dispatcher you will need a truck capable of performing an in field rim mounting they can accommodate. This combined with TPMS including sensors for my motorcycle trailer works for me. There should be no need to carry the rim and mounted tire with you. Unless you thought you were going to change that dully mounted inside tire yourself while on the side of the road. And we'll that's just. ...I won't say it.
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:49 PM   #12

I'm often out in the middle of nowhere and I do not trust finding a company capable of putting a tire on a rim in the field. Most tow trucks can jack up an RV to put on a new rim with a mounted tire. I don't carry Good Sam. We often travel along with a trained heavy equipment mechanic and we once had to change both rear tires on his RV due to two in a row (same trip) blowouts! He used his full spare and then mine. Although changing rear tires using the jacks is not recommended, they work in a pinch.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks, I just talked again with Ford and they confirmed they are the same.
Going to have to have a word with the local ford dealer. When i asked back in '14 they advised they were different. Thanks for the info!
KY25DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:03 AM   #14

Question Pictures ?

Can any one post pictures of spare tire carriers on FR3 or where you carry them thanks.
Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:36 AM   #15

Home made attachment to a trailer spreader bar. Square stock and threaded rod from Home Depot. I could have removed the bumper and fabricated the uprights to it, but didn't need to. You could make or have made the spreader bar that uses the trailer hitch receptacle as shown.

Draw back is that this uses that hitch receptacle. For me not an issue because it's the motor cycle trailer that's always with me.

If you already flat tow a car and can't use this method Consider placing the spare in the toad trunk.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1501587052.697742.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	146720

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1501587103.833463.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	146721
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:08 AM   #16

Spare Tire carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl17 View Post
Can any one post pictures of spare tire carriers on FR3 or where you carry them thanks.
I just sent info on the weight, size etc of a spare for my FR3 32DS to a company called TECA in Ohio. It is a cable crank up system to raise the spare up into place under the rear of the coach. I believe I will then need to place a removable safety bar under the spare . Yesterday I spent 2-1/2 hrs taking the spare out and putting it back from under my old Thor Hurricane 30 F . I have sold it , but needed to get the weight & size info for the TECA crank mechanism for my FR 3 32 DS
This crank would make it simple to access a spare tire when needed, not 2-1/2 hrs.
FYI, the spare tire/ wheel combo is 125 lbs.
I will let you know what I come up with,. The TECA crank gearbox is VERY INEXPENSIVE , under $100
Bob
Old 08-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl17 View Post

Rear pass thru storage compartment on my 2015 30DS. Been in there since the day I bought the coach 37 months ago.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2299.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	146754
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fr3, tire