Old 06-07-2016, 10:13 PM   #1
Portable satellite hook up

Just purchased a 2017 FR3 32 DS.... Only has a port for cable tv...... Has anyone had issues with connecting a Winegard portable satellite?

Stknutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
Portable satellite hook up

You can not use that cable line for your carry out portable because it goes to a splitter that connects also to a digital power boosted antenna. And splits to your bedroom TV.

Unfortunately most fr3s are not pre wired for sat in, or rooftop adds.

If you drill a small hole up from the battery compartment you will get in the switch box below the entry closet and from the closet you can run the line up to a sat box.

Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:08 PM   #3
I wired my FR3 for satellite myself and it was easy. I put a duplex plate in the basement by the park cable outlet. I ran a separate home run line to the main tv and bedroom tv so that I could have two different receivers.

Ran a RG6 cable under the coach to the battery compartment and drilled a hole in the floor and ran it up through the entry closet to the main room TV. I put my satellite box in the cabinet behind the tv. From there I used a hdmi splitter and ran a hdmi cable to the main tv and one to the exterior tv. You can get to the exterior tv by running the hdmi cable back through the closet and over to the cabinet under the sink. There is a false back that is screwed in with two screws in the back of the cabinet and once you remove it you have complete access to the back area of the exterior tv. It sounds harder than it really is so just go for it. Both of these TVs will use the same satellite box. I have an rf/ir controller so that you can change the channel from outside the coach or inside. I bought it at Best Buy. You have to remove the corner cover panel and floor panel in the closet. They are attached by staples and remove easily if you are careful and pry it with a knife.

The bedroom was easy, just pull the panel in the closet, remove the drawers and drill a hole in the floor. A short RG6 cable run for the satellite box and run the hdmi to the tv. I drilled a hole above the shelf that sits below the bedroom tv and ran my power, hdmi and coax through that hole. The tv outlet box actually is a duplex receptacle so it worked out great.

All in all, about two hours of work and I was up and running. The hardest part is the fear of pulling everything apart and putting it back together. It was much easier than I expected and am very happy with the result. Play some music, pop a few beers and it goes quickly.

I am using a Pathway X2 dish with two receivers. 2014 FR3 DS30. I would rather wire myself than pre-wired so that I know that it was done correctly, control the quality and know where things are located.

There are other options for using a satellite with your park cable jack but it involves reworking your antenna amplifier box and you can only use a single satellite receiver. I opted for the direct runs so that I could have two different receivers running at the same time on different channels.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
wolfgang22 is offline   Reply With Quote