Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2015, 08:40 AM   #1

Power/Heated Mirrors

I was just doing some investigation on replacing the stock mirrors with powered/heated mirrors. Here is a list of components that should work with our FR3s. I haven't done the Mod yet, but its on our to-do list in the future. This might help someone else though.

For Switch Assy PN: 747198
747198 - Heated/Remote Switch Kit with Mounting Plate

For RH Mirror PN: 714582
714582 Deluxe Right Side Mirror Head Assembly, Black, Only $154.33

For LH Mirror PN: 714581
714581 Deluxe Left Side Mirror Head Assembly, Black, Only $154.33

If you want White or Chrome, the PNs are listed here:
Deluxe On Velvac, Inc.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:48 AM   #2

Wow. That's an aggressive mod considering the wire pulls that will be needed. Keep us posted if you can make it happen. I'd be interested in knowing how much of a PITA it was to run the wires.

2014 FR330 DS
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:05 PM   #3

Powered Mirrors Installed

I've completed upgrading my mirrors to powered/heated. Several people seem interested so I thought I'd add to this related post. I'd hinted about the mirrors in a post about the LED lights but didn't want to hijack that thread.

When I bought my 2015 FR3 30DS, I contacted Forest River for the part number of the stock mirrors and was told the left and right mirrors together were Velvac 713854. I then asked Velvac for the same style head and mount that would be powered/heated and was told 713800 was the complete kit with left head, right head, control panel, left cable, and right cable. I ordered the kit from velvacmirrors.com who had the best price.

The three biggest challenges for me were 1) where to mount the control panel, 2) where to pick up power, and 3) how big of a hole I needed to drill through the side of the FR3.

1) Picture attached (if I do it right) shows I chose a spot on the side of the console to the left of the driver. The jack panel is very shallow and didn't interfere. The panel cut easily. Rather than use the provided template, I just held the panel against the plastic and used a permanent marker. Made space for the control and the heater switch larger. Pilot holes for the mounting screws. Two 3/8" drill holes in opposite corners then a key hole saw for the panel components. (The switch to the left of the mirror panel is an ICC switch.)

2) In the process of looking for the brake tow controller connection, I realized that it would have +12v and ground adequate enough for the 10 amp heaters. (I was looking for the trailer connector to connect the brake signal to the trailer proportional pin such that I could get the high stop on my toad a brake signal. A discussion of another day.) Mine came with a matching molex connector and pig tail that was easy to determine the +12v and ground and to connect to.

3) The mirror heads have a connector up inside the mount and then a short cable to a larger connector and a grommet in the middle of the cable. But to run this cable through the wall of the FR3 would require a 1.5" whole or an extractor tool to remove the pins from the connector. The left and right cables came with the pins installed on the mirror side but not mounted in the molex connector. Made sure that with those pins through the wall about 3" would leave enough cable, particularly for the right side, to reach the controller. Room to spare. So I needed only a 3/8" hole to run the pins through. The intermediate cable with the grommet fit nicely in the mirror mount. Then installing the molex connector, checked once, twice, thrice before pushing them in - they go one way only without a proper extractor tool.

Other little tidbits. I removed the driver seat to work under the dash. Made the job a lot easier. Once I routed the wires under the dash and through the holes, I siliconed up the hole and wires. Gained access to the left console by removing the cup holder, the jack controller, and the light panel. The gasket for the mirror was better stuck on the FR3 than the mirrors because of the wires sticking out of the side. Finished with silicone around the mount/FR3 interface.

Whew!
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2015, 09:25 PM   #4

Thanks for the write-up Kadiddle. That location for the switch panel looks perfect. Only thing I think I'd like to change would be the switch they provide with the panel. Looks like it could be broken off somehow. But excellent write up! I'd like to do this mod once I get caught up on my must-have list. Which doesn't seem to get smaller. :-)
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:43 PM   #5
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Thanks for the info Kadiddle!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:11 PM   #6

KansasFR3 - I debated the heat toggle switch for the reasons you mention. Also, would prefer a rocker switch similar to others in the coach. I couldn't come up with a way that I would break it off but >>when<< I do, it's easily upgraded. Liked the idea that the provided switch was illuminated but then found it's not all that bright. Any replacement switch would have to be rated for 10A.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #7

Excellent write up Kadiddle, will have to add to my list upgrades as adjusting the current mirrors is most difficult.
b1barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #8

Kaddile

This seems to be one of the most useful mods I've read. Reasonable priced parts too, for the added functionality. Thanks for posting. Great job!

2014 FR330 DS
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #9

Thanks a million

I have been looking for a way to have control of my mirrors and you have solved my problem. Thank you very much.
Lrsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:41 AM   #10
edm

713800 mirror set

Just for an update on electric mirrors for the FR3.
I just purchased a set of Velvet remote control mirrors from pacificrvmirrors.com for 500.00 . this is a complete set with all the wiring and switches. pn/713800 this was the cheapest i could find.
Good luck hope this helps.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:54 AM   #11

I'm very glad to see others are getting benefit from my post of almost 3 years ago. Would like to know how many folks have done this mod.

Hardest part is the flying pins into the molex connector at the mirror end. One chance to get it right. Feel free to PM me with any questions. Still by far the most useful mod I've done. I've moved since the original post. I now have a very nice pad to park my FR3 on but need to raise the right mirror to keep an eye on the corner of my garage roof. Would be a real pain without the remote mirror control.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:17 PM   #12

I just wanted to thank KansasFR3 and Kadiddle. I followed what they posted and put power mirrors on my 2015 FR3 30DS. I love the power mirrors, and understand why they are now delivered.
2015 fr3 30DS, added 2nd A/C-Heat Pump, both A/C have EasyStart, Auto Transfer Switch, CHF with Hellwig Links, Progressive Power Management, TPMS, Blue Ox True-Center, Koni Shocks, HID Headlamps, LED Foglamps, Pioneer Stereo, Keyless entry, Auxiliary Cooling Fans for A/C Condenser, dashcam front-rear, Yokohama Tires, air ride seats, onboard air compressor, 3000 watt hybrid Victron inverter Venus Generator Control, centramatic wheel balancers
Hogq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power