Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2018, 06:59 AM   #41
edm

We had a power problem with our 30ds and it turned out to be an open neutral . The wire had burned off at the wire junction box located at the front of the generator mounting bracket.

One other thing you can try is to make sure the generator field has been energized. This is done by holding the start button in the start mode for a couple of seconds after the engine has started. This will not hurt the starter as the starter is disengaged as soon as the engine starts. Also after the generator starts if there is no power you can push the start button for a couple of seconds and see if it will put out power.
Good luck.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #42

Thanks, it worked well yesterday. I checked and all the wires into and out of the generator motor appeared tight; I added dialectric to the connections. I also tighten all connections added dialectric to the junction box at the rear of the coach. I appreciate the tip about holding the start button. Bob
Dolce2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:43 AM   #43

Did you plug your power cord into the outlet in the cord compartment ?
Sorry if this was addressed. I did't read all the post. But nobody told me that when I boon dock the power cord has to be plug in to the outlet in the cord compartment while using the generator to power the AC and TV's.
HortMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #44

LoL! I see this was covered.
HortMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:14 PM   #45

Have you checked the surge protector if it has one built in? Sometimes they take 3-5 minutes to check your system before they kick in.
ER17453361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:15 PM   #46

Is there a reason you're switching everything off before starting the generator? I've never heard of that being required.
Furyous68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:23 PM   #47

Ok here goes. Onan genset if it’s running it’s making 110. The controller on genset monitors A/C output and frequency. It would shut down and issue a code. So we know the genset is creating 110. You say you plug shore cord into recepticle in the cords storage compartment. It works on shore power. So your problem is a connection between genset breaker and the 110 service panel. Easy from here. You say it’s 30 amp so you should have a Onan KY genset. It’s not uncommon for the wires at theirt 30amp breaker to be loose. Pull the little plastic guard under carb out of the way. It’s held in place by two torx head machine screws. Black wire is output from breaker. White wire is input to breaker from stator windings.if they are loose get your pliers out and fix. Check wires in J-Box where genset conduit enters. Just follow conduit and see where it goes. Either subfloor on it enters living quarters. Wire nuts might be loose. Finally you may just have loose connections in the 110 service panel. One of those three is where your problem is.
Rv tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:54 PM   #48

Yes, you plug the triple prong 30 amp adapter into an outlet that is wired to the generator. I checked all the connections in the plug at the rear of the coach and put dielectric on them. I also put dielectric on the connector that plugs into the adapter that runs to the generator. Everything has worked very well on my trip back to Colorado. I dry camp last night and started up the generator and everything powered up nicely.
I, however, turn off my circuit breaker in the bedroom and power up the generator and hold the button for a few more seconds after the generator powers up as recommended by another post. After the generators powered up and running for a short while, I flip the switch on the circuit breaker in the bedroom. Even then the bathroom outlet clicks few times and goes off. I go into the bathroom and push the outlet button and everything works.
The generator ran all night with the air-conditioner running as it was very hot in Montana and Wyoming. I’ll keep everybody posted when I go to South Dakota in early August.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 07-09-2018, 11:29 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolce2017 View Post
Yes, you plug the triple prong 30 amp adapter into an outlet that is wired to the generator. I checked all the connections in the plug at the rear of the coach and put dielectric on them. I also put dielectric on the connector that plugs into the adapter that runs to the generator. Everything has worked very well on my trip back to Colorado. I dry camp last night and started up the generator and everything powered up nicely.
I, however, turn off my circuit breaker in the bedroom and power up the generator and hold the button for a few more seconds after the generator powers up as recommended by another post. After the generators powered up and running for a short while, I flip the switch on the circuit breaker in the bedroom. Even then the bathroom outlet clicks few times and goes off. I go into the bathroom and push the outlet button and everything works.
The generator ran all night with the air-conditioner running as it was very hot in Montana and Wyoming. I’ll keep everybody posted when I go to South Dakota in early August.
Thanks,
Bob
Just wondering if you checked the Ground-Neutral Bond in the generator circuit?

For a GFCI to work there has to be a Ground-Neutral Bond. It is provided by the Campground outlet.

See: Mike Sokol's No~Shock~Zone | Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:10 AM   #50

Hi,
I checked the wiring on the generator and made sure all the visible wires were tight. Is there a specific wire I should check (where is the wire located) on the Onan 4000 generator?
Thanks,
Bob
Old 07-10-2018, 02:55 AM   #51

Quote:
Hi,
I checked the wiring on the generator and made sure all the visible wires were tight. Is there a specific wire I should check (where is the wire located) on the Onan 4000 generator?
Thanks,
Bob
Use a OHM meter between the Ground and Neutral wires from the generator. If it is not Zero OHMs then you do not have a Ground-Neutral Bond.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:51 AM   #52

Okay, thanks, Bob
Old 07-10-2018, 09:03 AM   #53

Quote:
Okay, thanks, Bob
There is also a water-proof junction box between the generator and the generator outlet. It is on the frame behind the generator.

Did you check the wires there?
Old 07-10-2018, 09:26 AM   #54

I saw the box but did not check the wiring in the box. It appeared to be well sealed. All the wires on the generator apoeared to be tightly mounted. What wire is the ground and common on the Onan 4K generator.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #55

Go back and read my last post completely describes exactly how to check your wiring for your generator.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:36 PM   #56

Quote:
I saw the box but did not check the wiring in the box. It appeared to be well sealed. All the wires on the generator apoeared to be tightly mounted. What wire is the ground and common on the Onan 4K generator.
I do not know but should be: Ground = Green; Common = White.

Generator should grounded to the FR3 Chassis ground.

I looked on the Cummins Onan website.
Cummins Onan RV QG 4000

You should call a Cummins Onan Dealer, it is still under warranty, instead of listening to me. I know enough to get myself in trouble.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #57

Once again go to post #47. Follow the directions I gave you. I do Onan gensets for a living. Certified 20 years ago. Over 1000 gens in our fleet. Never have had to send out a gen set or Rv for outside repair.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
my breakers are in the breaker panel at the converter.
This is the FR3 forum, so panels are in the bedroom.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:38 AM   #59

Thanks for the feedback. It appears to be working. Bob
Old 07-12-2018, 10:51 AM   #60

Quote:
That is the exact junction box where my exact same problem was. Wingnuts, electrical tape, water tight j-box and some good ol FR jerry-rigging
DutchRv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, dry camping, power