Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2016, 08:21 PM   #1

Question prevent falling off front bunk

I'm taking ownership of my FR3 28DS tomorrow, and have a question about the front bunk. When I looked at it, there was no webbing or prevention from falling out of the front bunk. I'm planning on taking my 6 month old Dachsund mix with me most of the time, and would like to use this front bunk for overnights in parking lots instead of having to deploy the bedroom slide.

Has anyone added a webbing, or some fall prevention to the front bunk?

Also, since I haven't done this much, is it OK to put out the back bedroom slide at an overnight spot? Can this be done without the levelers, and would they think this is kosher?
rms62003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #2
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

I've never had a problem putting out my bedroom slide at any Walmart, etc. I've even talked with the managers and they have no problem with it. They prefer you not use the levelers although, I've seen some MH use them. I don't think it's a good idea for fear of ruining the asphalt. JMHO

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I agree, I don't want to set out the levelers unless I'm at a campsite. Regular asphalt may not be structured to handle the weight. Have you had any problems with the slide if the ground isn't level when you let it out? I wouldn't think so, since it is a small one.

I'm glad that I could use the bedroom slide. Looking at my new FR3, I don't know if I could use the sofa while the living room slide is in place. And, I can't use the overhead bunk unless I can prevent my baby from falling off.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:47 AM   #4
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

The parking lots I stayed in luckily have been level enough that I had no problems with the slide.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:44 PM   #5

We typically don't extend our slides in parking lots, just incase someone is dumb enough to try to back into the spot next to use and hit the slide. But since your 28DS slide is out the rear, I wouldn't hesitate using it. We also use our jacks all the time with no issues. Just enough to stabilize the rig more than anything. And no net or anything on the front bunk. We just put pillows on the floor. :-)
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:10 PM   #6

We used to have a trailer with a similar bunk setup. I just put the puppy between my body and the wall, so if anyone fell out it would be me.
ekrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #7
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

As for keeping from falling off the overhead bunk. Any store that sells bunk beds sells safety railings that slide under the mattress and your weight keeps the rails upright. If you're handy with making things you could make one yourself.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #8

Weighs 5lbs and is only $12 from Ikea.

VIKARE Guard rail - - IKEA
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #9

In fact, I was just talking to my neighbor on this subject. We had 2 young children when we had our first Class C. One of the beds was actually a cabinet front that folded down to make a bunk bed. We found a piece of webbing like that used to cover cargo in a pickup bed. We have one now that is about 18" high for cargo management. We attached the bottom of the net to the edge of the bunk, put a eye hook into the wall (or ceiling) at each corner, and a "S" hook at each of the top corners of the net. When not in use, the net was rolled up next to the mattress. When needed, the s hooks were attached to the eye hook for a safety net. Pretty cheap, pretty straight forward, and it worked.

Do a search on Amazon for "cargo management netting". This is one example that stretches to the width you need:
http://www.amazon.com/Elastic-Storag...management+net
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:57 PM   #10

Even when in any campground where there is no pavement. (soft dirt ) its not a bad idea to have some 3/4 inch plywood slabs to set down just where the levers touch the ground. Having owned a motor cycle we always carried a bit of wood to put under the stand on parking lots to help stabilize the bike , especially in hot weather. All that weight can sometimes send a stabilizer down into the pavement.

Brandon2
2014 Sun Seeker 2500TS
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:47 PM   #11

We have found that a pool noodle put under the sheet at the edge of the bed will keep grandchildren from falling out. I don't know if it would work with a dog.
DebbieHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #12

Would the pup be sleeping by itself on the bunk? why not just put a dog crate there for the dog to sleep in? Easier than rigging up netting.
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:45 AM   #13

Good time to teach the pup to sleep in a crate !!!
Our 13 year old Lhasa Apos sleeps in a soft create every night,,,
Home or Rving !!! It is Great going to bed @ night knowing where she is !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:44 PM   #14

I might look into the cargo net idea in the future if needed. At 7.5 lbs, I'll need something that goes all the way to the mattress edge if I need to do this in the future. For my first adventure this Wednesday, I'll deploy the bed slide.
All my dogs are use to sleeping on the bed, so a crate wouldn't work. Her crying all night would keep me up. I am planning on bringing her crate for when I need to leave her in the RV by herself.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:56 AM   #15

The perfect time to teach a pup to sleep in a crate,,, is when you first bring them home,,, they are a lot safer there than anywhere else !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk, vent