Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2015, 06:48 AM   #1
Motoring

Propane Alarm Saved Us Tonight

Pulled in about 5:00 PM setup FR3. Just after supper, propane alarm went off. My first thought was it's a false smoke detector until I honed in on the sound.

We scuttled out and could hear hissing from the propane tank!!!

I turned it off at the valve and that seemed to do the trick. Now here we are in VA first night with no heat or hot water, my wife was concerned about gas so we got a hotel last night.

I found a mobile guy who said he'd come Sunday morning to fix it if its the regulator, which he has on his truck. Otherwise we may be out of luck.

I'm hoping not to interrupt the week we had planned for Colonial Williamsburg.

Kind of scary. Glad the audible went off. I'm buying a second sensor today at Walmart that I can locate under the coach when we setup camp.

Steve
grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:33 AM   #2
"On the road again"

Ours started going off - giving false warnings, so we had to replace it. In the interim I bought a second battery-operated one and when we got the wired replacement, I placed the battery operated unit in the storage area below near the propane tanks.

They are supposed to have a five-year lifespan (approximately) so Forest River did replace it even though our coach was a year out of warranty.

Can't be too careful with propane gas, that's for sure.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:10 PM   #3
Motoring

A mobile repair came and replaced regulator at 9:30 AM today!!! The regulator was just stuck venting gas.

$360, but he leak checked the whole system and got us back onto the trip schedule.
grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:36 PM   #4

GOOD to hear that!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:55 PM   #5

Thanks for posting & glad you were able to get it fixed. That's nothing to miss with hopefully other will read this and remember . I will thanks again.
LB TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:14 AM   #6
KMA

That happened to me on my driveway too. I heard loud hissing when I came home from work. Turned out to be leaking regulator (broken diaphragm). Replaced it next day.. $30 dollars..
$360 sounds bit excessive for replacing regulator but glad you took care of the problem quick.
Ive seen other FR3 member posting same leaking regulator on their brand new FR3.
FR really should pay attention to this problems...Very dangerous.
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:51 AM   #7
Site Team

Glad that you took the alarm seriously and that everyone is safe. Sounds like the week at Colonial Williamsburg is still on.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
GSlone

Alarm

My alarm is going off (beeping) in my new trailer, it is sitting in a lot, no shore power, battery out, and propane tanks disconnected. So anyone know why it would be beeping?
2009 Harley Davidson Street Glide
GSlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:24 PM   #9

I had a Winnebago class C new. In first 2 years it went through 4 regulators. After warranty Winnebago would not cover ongoing issue. I felt like they could not get off the thought that it was just a series of faulty regulators. I felt something was seriously wrong with the tank to regulator system. It appeared that there was liquid propane getting to the regulator and blowing out the diaphragm or a safety plug. That is what I thought but even shutting off the propane whenever driving did not keep the fourth from blowing out after just 4 days of service. These occurred once on the freeway, once on the dealer lot and twice in campgrounds. It always sounded like a jet engine and emptied a 1/3 full tank silently overnight on the fourth one.

Finally got a lawyer and returned RV to dealer. I could not sell it with what I felt was such a dangerous issue.

Be careful. The third one was in a park with a neighbor on the propane side of coach that had been smoking a couple of hours before it blew. Hate to think what could have happened if it went out while he was smoking. Turning off the system at the tank always stopped the flow.
I never thought of putting a propane alarm in the propane compartment. I think that is an excellent thought. Good luck
cev1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:57 PM   #10

So this brings me to a question. Is it best to leave the tank on or shut it off after each trip? I've heard both, but I'm curious if anyone has experienced any negatives from either way.

Antone

2015 Forest River FR3 30DS - No Ragrets

Toad - 2011 Jeep Wrangler
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSlone View Post
My alarm is going off (beeping) in my new trailer, it is sitting in a lot, no shore power, battery out, and propane tanks disconnected. So anyone know why it would be beeping?

It may be because the battery is low or out. I previously owned a FR TT and it would happen in those cases.

Antone

Old 11-23-2015, 03:14 PM   #12
KMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antone View Post
So this brings me to a question. Is it best to leave the tank on or shut it off after each trip? I've heard both, but I'm curious if anyone has experienced any negatives from either way.

Antone

After the incident, I shut it off when not in use. At the campsite I shut it off before going to bed (I use electric heater anyways).
Negatives would be...hot water is not ready immediately, couple extra trips to propane tank to open/close valve to take shower, use heater etc.

Hope my regulator diaphragm doesn't pop when someone having campfire right next to my propane tank or light up cigarette...

Wonder if there's any auto leak detecting shut off switch that you could install before the regulator..?
Old 11-23-2015, 04:09 PM   #13
CDR USN Ret

An excellent treatment of propane cylinder safety. Dispels many myths.

Propane 101-The basics
DSQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:27 PM   #14

I would leave the main valve off. I returned from a camp trip and upon double checking my unit smelled gas and the alarm was going off turns out when my wife was wiping the oven she turned one of the valves slightly on
Buckeye Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:28 PM   #15

The FR3 air is also a heat pump, that takes care of the heat.
The hot water tank has an electric element in it that can be flicked on in the hot water tank area from the outside. That takes care of the hot water, no need to use propane if you choose not to.
Good luck.
Wjl7110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #16
KMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjl7110 View Post
The FR3 air is also a heat pump, that takes care of the heat.
The hot water tank has an electric element in it that can be flicked on in the hot water tank area from the outside. That takes care of the hot water, no need to use propane if you choose not to.
Good luck.
Forgot that new models have heat pump and electric heater. Unfortunately mine was made mid 2013 and only propane.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:35 PM   #17
Rivnut

My alarm is going off

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSlone View Post
check battery on smoke alarm, gets me every time or the CO@ monitor. Those thing go bad with no repair jut dies in a few years, have to get new one.
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:02 PM   #18

Three of the four regulator failures we had were when the coach was stationary. One of them was sitting in the Dealers lot. Our service rep walked by and heard the leak. You never know when a regulator will fail. I now firmly believe that anytime the propane system will not be needed it should be off at the tank.

Writing this I came to a realization. The Winnebago had solenoid operated tank cut off switches. One in the coach and one in the regulator bay. I switched it off in the bay twice. I never thought of the possibility that the electric switch could have set off a propane explosion. Wow that is scary. What about a manual valve you have to go to on the tank to shut off? I know the recommendations about propane are that if their is a leak get out and away from the source. Seems most regulators are in the same bay as the propane valve. So if you smell or hear a leak should you really go to the bay and shut off the tank valve or just get away and call the fire department and clear your neighbors out of the area?
cev1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #19

Great info everyone. I will be shutting mine off when not in use now.

Antone

Old 11-24-2015, 05:03 PM   #20

Mine went off the other night. It turned out the circuit breaker opened to the converter and the battery was way down.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane