Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2017, 08:01 AM   #1

Question on using which AC unit

Down in South Florida I use the AC in my 30DS. Is it better for the engine and gas mileage to use the dash AC or use the generator to power the roof air? My Service Guy says always use the generator, it will use less gas and not load the engine. What do you folks do to keep COOL?
Orider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:46 AM   #2

a/c gen

I never run Gen going down the road . First the gen will effect gas mileage .not a lot but because it draws off same tank. But its all ways been cool enough with dash ac on or windows open . but i do run gen at all long rest stops, tv frig ac etc.
But thats just me.. SEE YA ON THE ROAD.

ps traveling on road Nov to April
Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:56 PM   #3
LBJ

Hi Orider,

When it is hot out the dash AC does ok for the front seats, but it gets quite warm for the kids sitting in the back. So we end up running both. The additional noise from the generator and AC unit don't make much of an impact on the total noise, but sure does help to make it more comfortable for everyone. If it were just the two of us in the front I would just run the dash AC.

Brian
Old 12-26-2017, 09:57 PM   #4

I run the genie all the time while driving whether for ac or sat tv fr family. I wouldn’t do it any other way
Combatcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:53 AM   #5

We have a 2017 29DS and we were told that it’s okay to run the generator to power the A/C while on the road but remember, it uses the same petrol that your engine does so it will shut down when your gas gauge gets to 1/4 tank so you will have enough petrol to get to a station to fill up.
Freddie1 is offline   Reply With Quote