Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2015, 05:54 PM   #1

Quik Help

We're planning to leave for Cali in a couple of weeks and I'm starting to get things ready so as not to stress myself out.

What tools do you recommend we carry? We already have a battery powered drill and charger, mixed screw drivers, a star-bit set and other than a couple of sizes of adjustable wrenches, what else makes sense? I was wondering about a couple of extensions for the drill.

Also, do you have recommendations for the lack of a cup holder on the passenger side of the rig?

To take quick advantage of the under bench storage, I went to Dollar General and bought a couple of clear plastic bins, of a size that would fit through the opening. I drilled matching holes and zip tied them together. They slide in just fine and yes, when I want something in the very back, all 3 bins come out; however for about $20, I think we did pretty good
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:48 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

A lot of threads on this subject...
Duct Tape, Gorilla Glue, C Clamp(s), torpedo level, hacksaw, Stainless safety wire, silicone sealant, all purpose glue (loctite). Wall paper knife w/snap off points) Vice grips,
flair kit (stand up triangles), gloves, ratchet straps, bungees, obdII code reader, air pump-gauge-chuck.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #3

Wowie!

Thanks for the really quick reply Duck,,,

Newbie here, would you mind expounding on the reasons why we would need glue and loctite, wire, wall paper knives, ratchet straps please?

Regards.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:15 PM   #4

You will never really know what you need until you need it. The amount of tools you carry is probably directly proportional to how handy you are. Some carry a repair shop on wheels. I carry a 12v air compressor and tires plugs, a bottle jack, misc. hand tools, silicon adhesive, volt meter, duct tape, various screws, pex water line fittings and clamps. I also carry a few ratchet straps in my truck. You never know when something will become loose or a support may break. I heard of awnings unrolling and water tanks falling right out the bottom of campers! Fortunately there is a hardware store in most towns and many RV parts can be shipped right to your campground.
Enjoy your trip

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #5

Dumb question

Exactly what are ratchet straps? I may know them by some other name
Old 09-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi2007 View Post
Exactly what are ratchet straps? I may know them by some other name
Here is a example, I have probably 10 of them, you never know how many you end up using. I had bought 4 more from home depot, as I am preparing to move state to state. These are used to hold down stuff securely and prevent movement or stuff from falling off the truck, trailer etc. They have a ratchet mechanism that tightens the length for hold down. Hope that clears it up, maybe there is another name but I don't recall of any others.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29389402?w...352431&veh=sem
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:16 PM   #7

Oh shoot. Next time I'll read the label. I always heard them called tie-downs and we have tons LOL. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #8

Fuses , multi meter, self taping screws 3/4 and 1 inch.
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:38 PM   #9

Box of rubber gloves.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #10

Small rope to tie up steps when they break.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:13 PM   #11
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks for the really quick reply Duck,,,

Newbie here, would you mind expounding on the reasons why we would need glue and loctite, wire, wall paper knives, ratchet straps please?

Regards.
The glue is made by loctite. Safety wire in case clamps break. Wall paper knife to cut whatever or shave whatever. Ratchet straps for pulling and holding like if a slide breaks...

Example of why:
So there I was headed around a right turn and the drawer under the oven with pots and pans flies open tearing the face of the cabinet out along with the cheapness particle board that the rails mount to. So I remount the block to the floor of the slide and reset the rail mounts then a bead of gorilla glue to firm things up. The front gets a golf tee in the stripped holes with gorilla glue and the face board gets glued, screwed and C clamped to hold it in place until the glue dries. Then I added 2 additional spring closers to the drawer, redrill the holes and replace the anemic 1/2" screws with 1". The drawer is solid and has never popped open again after 15,000 miles of driving. Thats why you carry "stuff" when you are on the road for Months at a time.

BTW, you might need some red loctite for the bolts the hold the rear anti-sway bar to the axle... just sayin.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanFR3 View Post
Box of rubber gloves.
Afraid to ask what you do on your trips

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
The glue is made by loctite. Safety wire in case clamps break. Wall paper knife to cut whatever or shave whatever. Ratchet straps for pulling and holding like if a slide breaks...

Example of why:
So there I was headed around a right turn and the drawer under the oven with pots and pans flies open tearing the face of the cabinet out along with the cheapness particle board that the rails mount to. So I remount the block to the floor of the slide and reset the rail mounts then a bead of gorilla glue to firm things up. The front gets a golf tee in the stripped holes with gorilla glue and the face board gets glued, screwed and C clamped to hold it in place until the glue dries. Then I added 2 additional spring closers to the drawer, redrill the holes and replace the anemic 1/2" screws with 1". The drawer is solid and has never popped open again after 15,000 miles of driving. Thats why you carry "stuff" when you are on the road for Months at a time.

BTW, you might need some red loctite for the bolts the hold the rear anti-sway bar to the axle... just sayin.
Thank you for helping me visualize why you included such things in your original post. BTW, are you available for adoption?
Old 09-05-2015, 09:44 PM   #14

If one of my slides were to break I have precut blocks of wood that I would set on top of interior slides to hold them in after I manually pushed them back in.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:47 PM   #15

BTW the wood could double as shoring for jack pads if on a big hill.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:08 PM   #16

'Nother Question

1.Does anyone else have issues with the engine noise in the driver/passenger area? We took the cowling off and saw some insulation that included a fireproof layer. Is it safe or adviseable to perhaps spray the inside of the cowling with some additional noise dampening product? Also, what about laying pieces of carpet beneath our feet?

2. Does anyone have any suggestions for strengthening the latch that holds the outside door to the screen door? It just seems so flimsy plus I've broken a truck load of nails grabbing the hand hold to pull the outside door shut.

3. Our son just purchased a travel trailer and he swears they told him to not run the A/C through the vents, just let it come through to large vent attached to the actual unit. Thoughts?

As always, ya'll are just awesome and full of really good ideas and suggestions. There's no way I can ever fully express our appreciation. Except if we happen to run into each other at a campground some day, and then... and
Old 09-06-2015, 09:22 PM   #17

For a cup holder google drink holders for boats. Our unit came with one that folds up and is secured to the plastic siding. Had one just like it in my boat.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:53 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Afraid to ask what you do on your trips
The rubber gloves are for sewer dump.

To the OP... We carry an air compressor, a basic tool kit something along these lines. We also have a rubber mallet, cordless drill, plumbers tape, electric tape, duct tape, buggy cords, extra fuses of all needed sizes, a small axe, trailer aide to Jack up.our fiver (you probably need a heavy duty bottle Jack for the fr3) and caulk. We have been meaning to buy some eternabond also. Some good things to have are extra fresh water hose, power extension cord, a surge protector (hard wired or portable), and extra sewer hose.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:58 PM   #19
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
1.Does anyone else have issues with the engine noise in the driver/passenger area? We took the cowling off and saw some insulation that included a fireproof layer. Is it safe or adviseable to perhaps spray the inside of the cowling with some additional noise dampening product? Also, what about laying pieces of carpet beneath our feet?

2. Does anyone have any suggestions for strengthening the latch that holds the outside door to the screen door? It just seems so flimsy plus I've broken a truck load of nails grabbing the hand hold to pull the outside door shut.

3. Our son just purchased a travel trailer and he swears they told him to not run the A/C through the vents, just let it come through to large vent attached to the actual unit. Thoughts?

As always, ya'll are just awesome and full of really good ideas and suggestions. There's no way I can ever fully express our appreciation. Except if we happen to run into each other at a campground some day, and then... and
1. By cowling I assume that is the engine cover. Open up the front grill and look up. You will see the bottom of the dash and NO insulation. So far, hush mat brand is the leading solution. I added a couple of rubber bottom bath rugs to the front floor which helps with noise and heat as well. I would not put anything flamable around your V-10.
2. There are better latches and door hardware available. Check out the one on the Winne...
3. Tell your baby boy to stop swearing. You can run your ac through the ducts or through the chill grill. If you want the bath and bdrm cool, the ducts will be your best bet.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:03 PM   #20

For the cup holder: go to Amazon, they have several that can be attached to the wall under the window and do not interfere with the co-pilot seat turning.
J1BCU is offline   Reply With Quote