Old 05-04-2014, 04:20 PM   #1

Radiator Screen on FR3

I think the grill openings on the FR3 need to be screened to protect the radiator and cooler. I've read enough on this forum and others that convince me to add 1/4" screen on the inside of the grill doors to keep rocks and debris out. Has anyone done this and if so can you share how pictures of how you attached it. I'm entertaining some different ideas but if someone has successfully done this it would sure help.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #2

I am getting a screen made, should have it in a few weeks. It will be in 2pieces for way access and I will snap it in place. Will post pictures once I get it.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #3

Great. Who makes such things?
Old 05-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #4

I was concerned about the same issues and asked my dealer about it. They contacted FR and the response was that Ford said that the engine needed that much air flow and not to install a screen or the air will become too restricted and it may void the warranty. I am not knowledgable here so someone else may want to weigh in to explain if this may be a valid concern.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #5

I think a regular mesh bug screen might be too restrictive. I'm think that with 1/4" wire mesh there will be little if any air restriction but it should protect against rocks or other road debris that could reach the radiator or cooler.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #6

At low speeds, I have a loud howling noise coming from the front end. I am thinking, air flow in these large opening might be the cause.... Let's us know what you come up with.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #7
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

I went to Home Depot and bought 2 dog protector screens that would normally be attached to a sliding screen door. I trimmed off the frame area and am now in the process of having it shaped to be attached to the inside of the grille area on each side. The openings are not too small to obstruct air flow. I'll attach some pics when I'm finished.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #8

Did my FR3 today with 1/2 x1/2 wire mesh using stainless steel hardware to attach to front grill doors. Turned out great and I have no doubt the airflow will not be restricted. The mesh should protect well.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1399331849.126170.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	51758
Old 05-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by scivilla View Post
Did my FR3 today with 1/2 x1/2 wire mesh using stainless steel hardware to attach to front grill doors. Turned out great and I have no doubt the airflow will not be restricted. The mesh should protect well.Attachment 51758
Looks good scivilla. Could you please post a pic of the inside? I'd like to see how you attached the mesh. Thanks!

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #10

I will. I have a little more work to do on the inside before I share the pictures. I'm going to put some rubber tubing on the inside edges of the grill openings between the mesh and the door to protect against noise and I'm also going to do a few attachments of the mesh in the middle of the doors. Got to get some more hardware tomorrow and will finish it tomorrow or next day. I will take pictures then.