Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 07:20 AM   #1

Rear A/C unit. Whos done it?

After spending the week at Myrtle Beach in 95 degree temps, Ive decided to break down and do the rear AC. A 15k but simply cant keep up, no matter how early you crank it down in the morning.

My questions are:
1. Where did you buy the unit?
2. Did you seal off the ducting from the front AC or leave it?

I plan on making a cheater box for 50A service so I can run the 30 amp and the additional 20 amp Ill add for the rear AC if the campground doesnt have separate 30/20 connections.
cucamelsmd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:35 AM   #2

Others can help you with A/C sourcing ... since they put a GFCI on power poles in campgrounds ... the old "cheater boxes" we used to make won't work ... trips the GFCI. I've seen a separate extension cord run from the 15 amp plug on the pedistal to a rigged up deal on the RV.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:40 AM   #3
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post
After spending the week at Myrtle Beach in 95 degree temps, Ive decided to break down and do the rear AC. A 15k but simply cant keep up, no matter how early you crank it down in the morning.

My questions are:

I plan on making a cheater box for 50A service so I can run the 30 amp and the additional 20 amp Ill add for the rear AC if the campground doesnt have separate 30/20 connections.
I installed a second ac on our new concord 300ds a few weeks ago. I ordered a Dometic 13,500 btu low pro penguin II off of amazon also had to order inside venting piece separate. I did take rags and block off duct heading to rear of Moho from front ( original) ac. The extra ac made a huge difference , my wife can pull inside temp down to 70 when outside Texas sun is 110. I also cut some reflective double bubble material for sun screen in front windshield and both side windows in front doors.
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:46 AM   #4
Land of the Midnightsun

As far as electrical hook up. I ran heavy 15am cord from ac down threw roof and walls and out bottom for its separate hook up. I have 30amp hook up and not going threw the head ache and expense of rolling to 50amp
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #5

We've had ours home just one day. The new units apparently come w the second AC. Just from the little bit of time inside in Texas heat I can't imagine not having two! And it still took a good bit of time for it to cool off to a comfortable temp in there.
kerber77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #6

I just ordered mine. 13,500 Btu Dometic Brisk Air II with non ducted roof kit. Best price I found was a dealer on eBay. Rvexit I believe. $509 for everything with free shipping. I'm going to run the power towards the tv in to the closet then down the corner into a separate 20amp box next to the factory 30amp.
Ebirep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:19 PM   #7

Not done yet, but I've found the best price for the Atwood AC on My12voltstore.com. I plan on going with a ducted AC. I've already cut out the foam outboard to pick up the factor ducts. Then we'll run a 120v line aft to the back wall then over to the closet and down. My first plan is to try to run it off the genset and if it doesn't work, I might figure a way to mount a second Gen maybe in the hydraulic compartment. We'll see.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #8
Land of the Midnightsun

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	114842

Twin ac's work well in the west Tex sun. 33ft concord
Old 07-22-2016, 06:05 PM   #9

Assuming that the rear roof vent is the location? Does that opening provide adequate space for installation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
antilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:24 PM   #10

I was thinking of getting on of those AC units that sits inside to work as my 2nd AC.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1469240669.944823.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	114973
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:50 AM   #11
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by antilley View Post
Assuming that the rear roof vent is the location? Does that opening provide adequate space for installation?

If your rear vent is 14" X 14" you should have no prob installing
Old 07-23-2016, 03:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne and sherry View Post
I was thinking of getting on of those AC units that sits inside to work as my 2nd AC.Attachment 114973

The unit you have pictured is a swamp cooler not an a/c. I considered a stand alone a/c but it would have to be vented to the outside through a window and you would have a condensation pan that would have to be emptied.
Ebirep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #13

I will run a dedicated wire and do some sort of second shore power connection. Curious how hard the wire is to run and how you guys fused the hot wire. Thanks!

Old 07-25-2016, 02:02 PM   #14

We added a bedroom unit two years ago. We added a separate 30 amp circuit and use. 50 amp plug and splitter if we need both units. Otherwise we simply use the existing 30 amp line.

The wiring was easy. We removed the bedroom vent casing and ran the wire through the a/c chase to the back of the coach and then ran the wire inside the back wall and closet chase down into the electrical compartment to a dedicated a/c fuse box. It took about an hour.

2014 FR3 30DS In New Jersey
JerseyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:08 PM   #15

Found the old post that had pics of how someone has done the job.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...s-74650-2.html
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:59 PM   #16

Thanks!

Old 08-02-2016, 11:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post

My questions are:

I purchased an Atwood 18000 (equivalent) BTU from a company in Lake Havasu Nevada for around 550 with free shipping. I put it in where the roof vent is located in the bedroom, ran the wiring through the styrafoam in the ceiling, place the thermostat on the vanity wall in the bedroom, ran the AC down through the ceiling into the aft closet in the bedroom into the power distribution panel. I changed the power distribution panel to a 50 amp two separate circuits, installed a 50 amp transfer switch, installed a 5500 watt generator, a new power cable, and it all works really well. The ducting is already in the ceiling to tie this new AC into the duct system. The Atwood is unbelievably quiet, 1000% better than the Dometic.
fedatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedatty View Post
I purchased an Atwood 18000 (equivalent) BTU from a company in Lake Havasu Nevada for around 550 with free shipping. I put it in where the roof vent is located in the bedroom, ran the wiring through the styrafoam in the ceiling, place the thermostat on the vanity wall in the bedroom, ran the AC down through the ceiling into the aft closet in the bedroom into the power distribution panel. I changed the power distribution panel to a 50 amp two separate circuits, installed a 50 amp transfer switch, installed a 5500 watt generator, a new power cable, and it all works really well. The ducting is already in the ceiling to tie this new AC into the duct system. The Atwood is unbelievably quiet, 1000% better than the Dometic.
I'm curious about your conversion over to the 5500 Genset. Did you have to weld new structure to bolt it in? Do you have any pics of the install?