Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #1

refrigerator in FR3

Does anyone know what the white plastic thing is that slides up and down on the right-most cooling fin in the refrigerator? And the little white plastic hose (which is capped) in the same area? Is the little hose suppose to be hooked into the back of the white sliding thing so it can go up and down?

I ask because I just defrosted the freezer, have turned the refrigerator back on and had it on for an hour now and while the freezer feels like it's getting cold, the refrigerator is not... it was 80 degrees when I turned the refrigerator back on, and it's still the same temperature. I haven't put any food back in yet as I'm waiting for it to cool down first.

Oh, none of the documentation I can find either shows or mentions these two parts.

Thanks.

Barbara
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #2

That's how you set the temp to the fridge, I do believe the hose is hooked to it, here is a picture of mine and it keeps everything plenty cold. A empty fridge will take longer to cool down if the food is already cold put some of it in the fridge.

2014 JEEP WRANGLER WILLYS
Bobb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #3

So somehow raising and lowering that little hose controls the temp? Go figure. Anyway, yeah, I've kept some of it cold so I'll try that.

Thanks.

Barbara
Old 07-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #4

On second thought... I just checked the refrigerator again. It's not working. This is weird because the freezer is gradually cooling down, but the refrigerator is dead warm. Those cooling fins are not doing anything. Oh, joy. Looks like I'll have to call a repairman.

B
Old 07-07-2014, 08:12 AM   #5

Freezer always chills first. The refrigerator cooling is a subset of the freezer actually. A common complaint is that on electric, they can take upwards of 12 hours to reach operating temp.

You might try switching to propane. My experience has been that propane and the ammonia cycle work well together and chill it faster.
cucamelsmd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:21 AM   #6
Motoring

My understanding is the fridge must be level or it will not work. Driving is not a problem, but if you're standing still you need to get it very level.

Explains it here.
grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:43 AM   #7

Well, I got up this morning expecting to have to call the appliance guy and, it's working! I guess it does take a lot longer for the refrigerator section to get cold. Last night after five hours of being on it showed no evidence of cooling, though the freezer was cooling down. This morning, it's nice and cool.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Barbara
Old 07-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Good to hear BarbaraG. It's always best to fire up the fridge, on propane, at least 24 hours prior to leaving. And, be sure your coach is as level as possible, as grotto69 mentions. You'll need to play around with the temp. slider and see where the best cooling is. If your freezer starts to ice up, lower the temp.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #9

Thanks for the info. Well, I spoke too soon. The freezer was freezing and refrigerator was nice and cold this morning. I put some stuff in (still cold from being in a cooler over night), and not that much since I had to throw a bunch away, and... when I checked it later this morning the temperature was up again. Right now the freezer won't freeze water and the refrigerator is showing 60 degrees. It is hot here (~90 degrees), but I would think the refrigerator should work in hot weather.

I decided to switch it over to gas, which I just did, so we'll see if that helps. By the way, it's not comforting that there is no indicator light that the refrigerator is on when it is in gas mode. I assume that the fact that the light comes on when I open the door should reassure me.

if this continues I guess I will have to get an appliance guy to look at it.

Argh!

Barbara
Old 07-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #10

When you switch over to gas (or when its on electric for that matter), you should be able to hear the ammonia burner outside.
cucamelsmd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #11

Operating Temperatures

Has anyone taken the time to actually determine just what the actual temperatures are in one of these frig's that is working normally? Mine in the freezer with a digital thermomater is reading 18/24 degrees F....ice cream is really cold...
kickster
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #12
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

BarbaraG... One thing you might want to check is the venting. Critters like spiders, bugs, etc., like to get in there and sometimes prevent proper venting.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:29 PM   #13

I'll check that out. Thanks.

Tags
refrigerator