Old 01-07-2014, 11:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraG View Post
For the time being they'll be on carpet. I'd really like to get rid of the carpet eventually, at which time I probably need to devise a way to secure the recliners.

B

Try Final Touch Coach Works, they are expensive but do a good job. Finaltouchrv.com

Old 01-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #12

Thanks. I'll check them out.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #13

BarbaraG, given my history of poor performance in this area I should be the last one requesting this, but could you post some before and after pictures? I'd love to see how your project turns out.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #14

SpicyRV,

Yes, I plan to do that. I really enjoy seeing the before and after of remodels.

Barbara
Old 01-11-2014, 10:03 AM   #15

before and after

Yesterday I ordered two recliners to replace the couch. I've attached picture of what they will look like. The recliner is a Lazy Boy Harbor Town. It's 29" wide. Since the couch area is 70" wide they will fit nicely with enough room for a small end-table/cabinet between. I'm getting them in the wall-hugger model. From the front of the base to the furthest extent of the back when reclined, it's about 34". The slide is 36" deep, so that just works.

The color is something called lemongrass, which I think will go nicely with the flooring. It's not quite as bright as it looks in this picture. The material is like a canvas. I chose this because I need something the cats won't tear up. I previously had a couch covered in a similar material and it withstands their claws well. They would puncture leather and any material with a real texture they like to scratch.

It will take six weeks before I get the chairs. Then I just have to figure out how to take the couch out and what to do with it. This will be the first step in my remodel. The one I can do myself.

As for before and after, well, the before looks pretty much like the standard 30' FR3. I've attached a picture. Note that I use the dinette primarily for a desk, hence my desire to modify. Also, I took the extra cushion and put it atop the regular cushion to elevate me so I have better ergonomics for the keyboard. I have since moved the cat scratching tower to in front of the passenger's seat.

Oh, also note you can see one of my cats, Cleo, just in front of the passenger's seat. Used to keep the litter there, but that didn't work well. Now it's in the shower.

I'm very eager to get my chairs as I find the couch not very comfortable for watching the TV. I'll post pictures when I have them in. Haven't decided if I'll attach them or not. The base is well-suited for that, so I'll just see how it goes.

Happy travels, all.

Barbara
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	recliner_532.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	44760   Click image for larger version

Name:	060.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	44761  
Old 01-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Yesterday I ordered two recliners to replace the couch. I've attached picture of what they will look like. The recliner is a Lazy Boy Harbor Town. It's 29" wide. Since the couch area is 70" wide they will fit nicely with enough room for a small end-table/cabinet between. I'm getting them in the wall-hugger model. From the front of the base to the furthest extent of the back when reclined, it's about 34". The slide is 36" deep, so that just works.

The color is something called lemongrass, which I think will go nicely with the flooring. It's not quite as bright as it looks in this picture. The material is like a canvas. I chose this because I need something the cats won't tear up. I previously had a couch covered in a similar material and it withstands their claws well. They would puncture leather and any material with a real texture they like to scratch.

It will take six weeks before I get the chairs. Then I just have to figure out how to take the couch out and what to do with it. This will be the first step in my remodel. The one I can do myself.

As for before and after, well, the before looks pretty much like the standard 30' FR3. I've attached a picture. Note that I use the dinette primarily for a desk, hence my desire to modify. Also, I took the extra cushion and put it atop the regular cushion to elevate me so I have better ergonomics for the keyboard. I have since moved the cat scratching tower to in front of the passenger's seat.

Oh, also note you can see one of my cats, Cleo, just in front of the passenger's seat. Used to keep the litter there, but that didn't work well. Now it's in the shower.

I'm very eager to get my chairs as I find the couch not very comfortable for watching the TV. I'll post pictures when I have them in. Haven't decided if I'll attach them or not. The base is well-suited for that, so I'll just see how it goes.

Happy travels, all.

Barbara

Barbara G, good luck on you modification work
Old 01-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #17
Tinkerer and Putterer

Hey Barbara,

How wide is that couch and how long is the bed when it's pulled out? I might be interested in purchasing it from you to swap out my small jackknife sofa. I've eyeballed that couch and it looks really close to if not a spot on swap. If you're willing to sell, could you please shoot me a PM?
Old 01-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #18

We just bought a Sunseeker Class C and I immediately removed the recliner. Just 4 bolts required to remove. Came out the door easy. Installed two European pedestal recliners. Didn't work because the slide in the Class C is maybe 4 or 5 inches high. With the recliners installed, your feet don't touch the ground. Put the coach back in for now.
Has anyone with a Class C Sunseeker put something on that slide thats not too high?
Desk - great idea.
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #19

Quote:
I just took a look at how the couch is attached. Pulled the bed out part way and poked around. Looks like there are L-shaped connectors on each side toward the front and the back that screw into the couch and the slide floor. The rest of what is underneath there is just all carpeted floor. Can't see how the back is attached. Will probably have to take it apart to see that.

I'm planning on getting two free-standing recliners (Lazy Boy has a narrow model that is only 29" wide). The couch is 69" wide, so that leaves 11" to spare, or for a small end table between the two chairs. I would get wall-hugger models that I think will work, but need to double-check my dimensions. The slide is 36" deep, so I need the distance from the front of the base to the back when reclined to be less than that.

I wasn't thinking the chairs would need to be bolted down, but I could be wrong about that. I'd like them to be movable, so maybe it would be a matter of finding some way of securing them for when I'm on the road.

Barbara
before we traded campers we were going to buy theater seats with center console to replace couch .
Our new unit has the theater seats and console already in it

Keep on camping

Oak

2015 Silverado Duramax w/Allison transmission
2014 surveyor 293RL fifth wheel
1surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #20

pictures of couch

Here are some pictures of the couch for those who are interested. Note that the mattress has never been used. Full disclosure: the 'leather' has some dings from my cat's claws. You can see in the one picture. They are not quite as visible as in the picture, are quite small, but they are there (main reason I'm getting cloth-covered recliners).

If anybody is in the San Diego area and interested, let me know.

Barbara
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140118_081426.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	45112   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140118_081524.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	45113   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140118_081535.jpg