Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #21

For anyone who wants to know, can the couch in the FR3 be removed and taken out through the door, the answer is Yes!

My two free-standing recliners are arriving today, so last night I, or rather Bob from CoachWerx in El Cajon, removed the couch. CoachWerx is doing the repair on The River where I side-swiped a concrete abutment at a gas-station and in the course of discussing those repairs I mentioned my remodeling plans and what the heck was I going to do with the couch. Offered to give it to him if he could take it away. He suggested taking it to the CoachWerx facility and my putting it on Ebay. So, that's the plan.

Here's how we did it. Before Bob showed, I easily removed the four L-brackets with my trusty drill. At that point the couch is untethered. But still large and heavy. Then we unscrewed the folding bed structure from the couch frame and removed it. Of course the cushions and mattress were already removed. Then we removed the back which is just one big cushion that slides right out. At that point, the rest of the structure can, carefully, be taken out the door (had to unhook the door piston to open the door all the way). Voila! One couch out the door.

What remains are four seat belt straps screwed into the floor. We took those off. The four large screws are still there sticking up out of the carpet. Not sure if I can get rid of them or not. Attached is a picture of what it looks like. Note my cat Cleo looking in from the side. Where'd the couch go?

Once my recliners arrived, I'll post a picture of them.

B

Argh! For some reason the attach paperclip isn't working. I'll try it on a new post.
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #22

Okay, think the picture upload worked here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	039.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	45868  
Old 02-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraG View Post
Okay, think the picture upload worked here.

Wow, good luck with the remodel...
Rolling Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:29 AM   #24

So, here's a picture of my two new recliners. I love them. So comfortable. They are not attached yet and if I can get away without bolting them down, I will. Also, when I get my dinette area remodeled I'm going to steal a couple of inches for the recliner area so I have room for a small cabinet between the two recliners.

Barbara
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	45998  
Old 02-18-2014, 05:11 AM   #25
Motoring

Looks like you did it. Cool.
grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:47 PM   #26
Denver, CO

I to have the Lazeboy's you do, and they are awesome. I had the swivel put on also and in my case removed the freestanding table and chairs in my 5er and put a raising top coffee table in for eating.

I would recommend getting a couple of straps and securing the chairs during travel.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #27

Glad to hear you like them, too. I'm really enjoying them. Thanks for the suggestion on strapping them down.

So does the raising top coffee table sit in the middle of the room? What do you do with it when you travel?

Barbara
Old 02-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #28
Denver, CO

yep it fits in front of the couch and is strapped next to the couch when we travel. We only have 2 of us so it works well. Camping world has them and they are suprizingly well constructed.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #29

I just removed our couch from our 26' Sunseeker and bought the most beautiful and comfortable jackknife sofa at Camping World for $700. My only issue is the Sunseeker slide is so thick, my sofa sits another 6" above the floor than the original. I guess Sunseeker built a custom height sofa. I don't care, I am putting a wood valence to cover the 6" slide that is current exposed on the front. Next, sleep number mattress and install a pedestal sink in the bathroom because they cabinet takes away all the leg room.
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #30

BarbaraG - if you don't want to attach to the flooring you could always screw and anchor eye or flat rings, they sell at Home Depot, into one of the holes from the old couch and use a ratchet-type strap to secure while traveling. As an Ex-Fire Chief and aerospace engineer, I know it would not be safe, for you, and your occupants if the chairs were throw around the RV in the event of an accident. By the way, they look great.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:35 AM   #31

Bob & Sue, I would love to see pictures of your remodel. Always like seeing what people are doing with their living spaces.
There are four large screw bolts sticking up from the floor at the back of the slide from the seat belts. I'm not concerned about having seat belts for my recliners as no-one will be sitting back there when I'm traveling. So, what if I reattach the seat belts and use them to strap down the chairs when traveling? I wonder if that would be secure enough. Or maybe just attach those ratchet straps to the bolts.

Barbara
Old 02-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #32
Always Learning

Quote:
Or maybe just attach those ratchet straps to the bolts.

Barbara
IMO, this should be sufficient.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #33

Just had camping world install two standard Fan-Tastic Vent/Fans and one cover. They did a good job and the price was right; the two fans, one cover and labor was about $520. Can't complain I would have taken longer and would have screwed up the installation. CW has some sales going on right now!
Old 03-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #34

Thanks for the info on that. I've been thinking about getting fans and covers for the vents. Sounds like the cost is not bad.

B
Old 05-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #35

Well, I finally got my remodeling done. Below are some pictures of the result. In addition to what you can see, I had all the carpeting in the cockpit (except for on the hump) removed and replaced with the matching vinyl, and had the carpet in the bedroom removed to reveal there already was the vinyl underneath.

I have replacements for the desk chair wheels, but beyond that haven't figured out how much, or how, I will need to tie it down for long trips (does fine for short trips around town).

Only two things I'm not crazy about: metal post for little table between chairs (thinking about how to make it a bit more attractive), and the location of the drawers on my new cabinet. This is partially my fault, as I discussed the design with the cabinet maker and this is what I requested, not thinking about the fact that the chair would be in the way. In my defense, since this guy is an expert in RV remodel, it would have been nice if he'd thought of that. In any case, I'm making it work.

Barbara
2014 FR3 30DS
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	52481   Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	52482   Click image for larger version

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	52483  
Old 05-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #36

Quote:
Well, I finally got my remodeling done. Below are some pictures of the result. In addition to what you can see, I had all the carpeting in the cockpit (except for on the hump) removed and replaced with the matching vinyl, and had the carpet in the bedroom removed to reveal there already was the vinyl underneath.

I have replacements for the desk chair wheels, but beyond that haven't figured out how much, or how, I will need to tie it down for long trips (does fine for short trips around town).

Only two things I'm not crazy about: metal post for little table between chairs (thinking about how to make it a bit more attractive), and the location of the drawers on my new cabinet. This is partially my fault, as I discussed the design with the cabinet maker and this is what I requested, not thinking about the fact that the chair would be in the way. In my defense, since this guy is an expert in RV remodel, it would have been nice if he'd thought of that. In any case, I'm making it work.

Barbara
2014 FR3 30DS

Barbara, your remodel job looks great! I really like your curtains...good job
Old 05-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #37

Wow!!! Great job!!
Grandma99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #38

Very nice work right there!

Old 05-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #39

Great Job. I have mine done too. Just have to look around for the procedure to post proper size pictures.