Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 167
removing couch and other remodeling

It turns out the guy who I've been talking to about some remodeling of my FR3 can't do anything until May. I'd really like to move faster than that. So, I have two questions:

1. Is there any reason I can't remove the couch myself and just place a couple of appropriately sized free-standing recliners on the slide? Primarily my question is whether or not the couch is performing some kind of structural function such that it will affect the operation of the slide to take it out?

2. Does anyone know any RV remodelers in southern California? The main things I'm looking to have done are:
    • remove couch, replace with two free-standing recliners, install small end table/cabinet that would sit between the two chairs
    • remove dinette and replace with a desk/table that has a cabinet along the window with the desk coming out much as the dinette table does, but with no bench seating
    • replace carpet with either matching vinyl flooring or something complementary
    • a few other minor things like installing shelves in the closet by the door and the bathroom cabinet and adding a dropdown counter piece to the kitchen
Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Barbara
__________________

BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
bend302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bronston, KY
Posts: 732
I have never heard of the sofa having a structural purpose. I replaced mine with a custom reclining sofa as have lots of others. Look for threads on the forum.

I had mine done in Indiana near Goshen. Others have done it themselves. The Amish fellow that did mine was in and out in 30 minutes. Lazy boy styles where the backs come off are the easiest to get in and out.

Bill
__________________

__________________

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,223
#1 - none that I'm aware of.

#2 - why not look at general handyman/contractors? I don't think that you need anyone who is a "RV" remodeler.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
BiigDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 449
My sofa is a free standing jack knife unit that I could take out. I would say yank it out!
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
NELA
 
Weezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3,221
DH and I were considering taking the sleeper sofa out of our V-Lite before we traded it in.

I contacted this guy: FRAcessories

He's on the forum here from time to time. He gave me prices and other info on those more narrow free standing rocker/recliners they use in their RVs.

Take it for what it's worth coming from a still wet behind the ears RVer, but my main concern would be to not put back in something that weighs more than I take out since we're talking about a slider modification.

P.S. I like your idea of the desk set-up.
__________________

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 167
Thanks

These responses were really helpful. I am thinking seriously about going ahead with removing the couch since I don't know how long it will be before I can get the other remodeling done.

Regarding a general contractor, I guess I thought there were some issues or tricks specific to RVs that a specialist would know. However, there don't seem to be that many in San Diego and those few are very busy. So, I might talk to some general contractors to see what my options are.

Weezer, Yeah, I can't say the desk setup is my idea. I saw it on a website for one of these remodelers. I like sitting at the dinette facing forward for doing my computer work, just don't like the dinette or seating. So, the desk would have the same orientation and I'd have the cabinetry along the window for books, files, hiding numerous cords, etc.

Regarding the weight, I will definitely keep that in mind.

Thanks to all.

Barbara
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
rjf7g's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 147
In my first trailer, an outdoor storage compartment opened to the bottom of a jack knife sofa. In my second trailer, the sleeper sofa was free standing and I was able to remove it and replace it with a residential reclining love seat. Poke around a bit and try moving it. You will want to find some way to attach it to the floor while you are traveling so it won't fly through the camper while you are in it.
__________________
***********************************************
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 167
I just took a look at how the couch is attached. Pulled the bed out part way and poked around. Looks like there are L-shaped connectors on each side toward the front and the back that screw into the couch and the slide floor. The rest of what is underneath there is just all carpeted floor. Can't see how the back is attached. Will probably have to take it apart to see that.

I'm planning on getting two free-standing recliners (Lazy Boy has a narrow model that is only 29" wide). The couch is 69" wide, so that leaves 11" to spare, or for a small end table between the two chairs. I would get wall-hugger models that I think will work, but need to double-check my dimensions. The slide is 36" deep, so I need the distance from the front of the base to the back when reclined to be less than that.

I wasn't thinking the chairs would need to be bolted down, but I could be wrong about that. I'd like them to be movable, so maybe it would be a matter of finding some way of securing them for when I'm on the road.

Barbara
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,840
The two recliners that I have are not bolted or screwed to the floor because they need to be moved so the slide can be moved in.
Will yours be sitting on carpet, if so then they should be fine.
__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 167
For the time being they'll be on carpet. I'd really like to get rid of the carpet eventually, at which time I probably need to devise a way to secure the recliners.

B
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:21 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Rolling Magic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraG View Post
For the time being they'll be on carpet. I'd really like to get rid of the carpet eventually, at which time I probably need to devise a way to secure the recliners.

B

Try Final Touch Coach Works, they are expensive but do a good job. Finaltouchrv.com
Rolling Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 167
Thanks. I'll check them out.
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Florida & Minnesota
Posts: 116
BarbaraG, given my history of poor performance in this area I should be the last one requesting this, but could you post some before and after pictures? I'd love to see how your project turns out.
spicyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 167
SpicyRV,

Yes, I plan to do that. I really enjoy seeing the before and after of remodels.

Barbara
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:03 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 167
before and after

Yesterday I ordered two recliners to replace the couch. I've attached picture of what they will look like. The recliner is a Lazy Boy Harbor Town. It's 29" wide. Since the couch area is 70" wide they will fit nicely with enough room for a small end-table/cabinet between. I'm getting them in the wall-hugger model. From the front of the base to the furthest extent of the back when reclined, it's about 34". The slide is 36" deep, so that just works.

The color is something called lemongrass, which I think will go nicely with the flooring. It's not quite as bright as it looks in this picture. The material is like a canvas. I chose this because I need something the cats won't tear up. I previously had a couch covered in a similar material and it withstands their claws well. They would puncture leather and any material with a real texture they like to scratch.

It will take six weeks before I get the chairs. Then I just have to figure out how to take the couch out and what to do with it. This will be the first step in my remodel. The one I can do myself.

As for before and after, well, the before looks pretty much like the standard 30' FR3. I've attached a picture. Note that I use the dinette primarily for a desk, hence my desire to modify. Also, I took the extra cushion and put it atop the regular cushion to elevate me so I have better ergonomics for the keyboard. I have since moved the cat scratching tower to in front of the passenger's seat.

Oh, also note you can see one of my cats, Cleo, just in front of the passenger's seat. Used to keep the litter there, but that didn't work well. Now it's in the shower.

I'm very eager to get my chairs as I find the couch not very comfortable for watching the TV. I'll post pictures when I have them in. Haven't decided if I'll attach them or not. The base is well-suited for that, so I'll just see how it goes.

Happy travels, all.

Barbara
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	recliner_532.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	44760   Click image for larger version

Name:	060.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	44761  
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Rolling Magic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraG View Post
Yesterday I ordered two recliners to replace the couch. I've attached picture of what they will look like. The recliner is a Lazy Boy Harbor Town. It's 29" wide. Since the couch area is 70" wide they will fit nicely with enough room for a small end-table/cabinet between. I'm getting them in the wall-hugger model. From the front of the base to the furthest extent of the back when reclined, it's about 34". The slide is 36" deep, so that just works.

The color is something called lemongrass, which I think will go nicely with the flooring. It's not quite as bright as it looks in this picture. The material is like a canvas. I chose this because I need something the cats won't tear up. I previously had a couch covered in a similar material and it withstands their claws well. They would puncture leather and any material with a real texture they like to scratch.

It will take six weeks before I get the chairs. Then I just have to figure out how to take the couch out and what to do with it. This will be the first step in my remodel. The one I can do myself.

As for before and after, well, the before looks pretty much like the standard 30' FR3. I've attached a picture. Note that I use the dinette primarily for a desk, hence my desire to modify. Also, I took the extra cushion and put it atop the regular cushion to elevate me so I have better ergonomics for the keyboard. I have since moved the cat scratching tower to in front of the passenger's seat.

Oh, also note you can see one of my cats, Cleo, just in front of the passenger's seat. Used to keep the litter there, but that didn't work well. Now it's in the shower.

I'm very eager to get my chairs as I find the couch not very comfortable for watching the TV. I'll post pictures when I have them in. Haven't decided if I'll attach them or not. The base is well-suited for that, so I'll just see how it goes.

Happy travels, all.

Barbara

Barbara G, good luck on you modification work
Rolling Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #17
Tinkerer and Putterer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 372
Hey Barbara,

How wide is that couch and how long is the bed when it's pulled out? I might be interested in purchasing it from you to swap out my small jackknife sofa. I've eyeballed that couch and it looks really close to if not a spot on swap. If you're willing to sell, could you please shoot me a PM?
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Okeechobee, FL
Posts: 175
We just bought a Sunseeker Class C and I immediately removed the recliner. Just 4 bolts required to remove. Came out the door easy. Installed two European pedestal recliners. Didn't work because the slide in the Class C is maybe 4 or 5 inches high. With the recliners installed, your feet don't touch the ground. Put the coach back in for now.
Has anyone with a Class C Sunseeker put something on that slide thats not too high?
Desk - great idea.
__________________
Bob & Sue Rowan
Okeechobee, FL
2012 Coachmen Mirada 29DS (SOLD)
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
1surveyor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bolckow
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraG View Post
I just took a look at how the couch is attached. Pulled the bed out part way and poked around. Looks like there are L-shaped connectors on each side toward the front and the back that screw into the couch and the slide floor. The rest of what is underneath there is just all carpeted floor. Can't see how the back is attached. Will probably have to take it apart to see that.

I'm planning on getting two free-standing recliners (Lazy Boy has a narrow model that is only 29" wide). The couch is 69" wide, so that leaves 11" to spare, or for a small end table between the two chairs. I would get wall-hugger models that I think will work, but need to double-check my dimensions. The slide is 36" deep, so I need the distance from the front of the base to the back when reclined to be less than that.

I wasn't thinking the chairs would need to be bolted down, but I could be wrong about that. I'd like them to be movable, so maybe it would be a matter of finding some way of securing them for when I'm on the road.

Barbara
before we traded campers we were going to buy theater seats with center console to replace couch .
Our new unit has the theater seats and console already in it

Keep on camping

Oak
__________________
1 Surveyor

2015 Silverado Duramax w/Allison transmission
2014 surveyor 293RL fifth wheel
1surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 167
pictures of couch

Here are some pictures of the couch for those who are interested. Note that the mattress has never been used. Full disclosure: the 'leather' has some dings from my cat's claws. You can see in the one picture. They are not quite as visible as in the picture, are quite small, but they are there (main reason I'm getting cloth-covered recliners).

If anybody is in the San Diego area and interested, let me know.

Barbara
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140118_081426.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	45112   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140118_081524.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	45113   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140118_081535.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	45114  
__________________

BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 PM.


×