Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #1

Repairing Vinyl Flooring

We had a mishap when closing the main slide yesterday, and an electrical plug got caught under the dinette, ripping a 4 inch V shaped wedge in the vinyl flooring. I was thinking of using an adhesive and securing the flap down to the floor, or using duct tape facing upward under the flooring to hold the wedge back in place. I want to find a way that shows the least damage. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I also have a dry mounting iron from my photography days. I just don't know how the flooring would handle any heat.
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:44 PM   #2

find a flooring guru, bow down and make obeisance. ive seen tricks with vinyl that make a guys head swim...he may want a chunk of original vinyl to make repair. rob from under drawer if FR cant help. sometimes no glue is good
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:46 PM   #3

Is it a beau flor? If so, go to their website and they have a PDF file that shows how to repair the floor using a repair kit from them.
Trail blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:15 PM   #4

Where did this electrical plug come from? And how did it and the slide work together to cause this damage? Is this a issue that we all need to look for to prevent others from this damage? Or was it like a extension cord deal that was in the way of the slide?

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2000 Jeep TJ Moab Rock Crawler
2013 Jeep JK
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:29 PM   #5

It was the cord from an electric heater that the Mrs had sitting on the dinette table. When she closed up the slide she didn't realize the cord was dangling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150419_182824.png
Views:	423
Size:	904.4 KB
ID:	74718

Here she's holding it up to show the damage
Old 04-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #6

Oh no, I'm sorry that happened. If it were me I'd invest in a floor repair person and see what him/her might say for a repair. That's the 1st thing we loved when we 1st looked at the FR3 was the floor. Keep us posted please on how you deal with the repair and the out come.

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2013 Jeep JK
Old 04-28-2015, 10:39 PM   #7

Very frustrated. Everyone we've called said they couldn't help. One place has a site for getting an estimate. Their site's estimate page (Fibrenew) wasn't working, so I tried for an estimate through email, as their site suggested. Here we are, several days later, and still no reply. We're heading out on a camping trip and still can't get it repaired. We will try again next week when we get back. If anyone knows of a reputable company, please drop me a line.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:48 AM   #8

No direction from Forest River directly?

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2013 Jeep JK
Old 04-29-2015, 04:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoMaster View Post
Very frustrated. Everyone we've called said they couldn't help. One place has a site for getting an estimate. Their site's estimate page (Fibrenew) wasn't working, so I tried for an estimate through email, as their site suggested. Here we are, several days later, and still no reply. We're heading out on a camping trip and still can't get it repaired. We will try again next week when we get back. If anyone knows of a reputable company, please drop me a line.
PhotoMaster,
The floor you have is a random pattern wood grain type vinyl. Patching a floor like that only looks good with the same pattern patch. Basically replacing a full plank of the floor, not always possible, based on the source of the material to be had. When ordering material from some places, you might have to order a decent amount, with extra left over. Some floors are installed using adhesive or they are perimeter fastened (floating). The problem you have, according to what I can make out of the picture, is pretty mangled. You can use heat to help restore it's original shape. A heat gun or a hair blower with careful attention to not a lot of close heat. It will damage the vinyl. Once you get it to the original shape, then the operation starts. Check to see if it is adhered to the floor. If you can stick your finger under the floor without any resistance (be careful not to cut your finger, vinyl can be very sharp) than a vinyl flooring tape can be used. If not than a vinyl flooring adhesive can be used. You probably have some of the white backing showing on the material that was ripped, if so, than lacing the material back and forth will be necessary when re-applying. If you want PM me to get more help. Larry.
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:47 PM   #10

I did get through to Fibrenew and spoke to the local rep. He came out and spent a between an hour and a half and two hours and the result was amazing! My wife knew where the damage was and still had trouble finding it. I can find it because I know where it is and I watched him repair it. I have his card stuck on the RV refrigerator. I will recommend him to anyone!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150504_174402.png
Views:	381
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	76141
Old 05-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoMaster View Post
I did get through to Fibrenew and spoke to the local rep. He came out and spent a between an hour and a half and two hours and the result was amazing! My wife knew where the damage was and still had trouble finding it. I can find it because I know where it is and I watched him repair it. I have his card stuck on the RV refrigerator. I will recommend him to anyone!

Attachment 76141
That looks good, someone knew what they were doing....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:02 PM   #12

Glad it worked out for you Photomaster.
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:43 PM   #13

Wow I'm so glad for the repair!! That floor is what really got us looking at the FR3's. I would be vomiting if our floor was damaged like that. My total awareness of really how easy it could happen is at fill alert.

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2013 Jeep JK
Old 05-04-2015, 08:02 PM   #14

Awesome repair job. Goes to show you, there is always some one out there with great skills so almost anything can be saved.

MSG (Ret)
U.S. Army
Active-duty 66-92
2015 FR3 30DS
fpo1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:53 AM   #15

Wow amazing repair. Some Pro's can really work magic...
b1barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:53 AM   #16
PDG

Repairing Vinyl Flooring

Great repair job. Really impressive.