Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 10:25 AM   #1

Review of fr3 32ds?

We are still early in the process of looking for our first rv. We like the layout of the fr3 32ds as it gives us two separated seating areas for the kids. Being able to use the hallway seating under the bunk will be huge. My concern is the quality of the product. The fr3 is the entry level and some of the stuff we've seen seems cheap and low quality.

Any feedback on durability and quality? Haven't seen the rear convertible seating in any other rvs yet. For the Georgetown, the bunks are fixed beds.

Our 'dream' would have over cab sleeping. Dinnette seating up front. Seating elsewhere while underway for the kids. King bed. Wife also wants a washer/dryer when we go full time but we are 8 years from that and expect we will change rvs once our youngest leaves the nest.

Thanks
sleepybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:26 PM   #2

Here's my 2 cents. We looked at the 32ds last year and it felt inferior to other products. Woodwork and furniture were more flimsy than even the Georgetown line. We ended up going with the 364TS with a washer dryer combo for about 10,000 more than best price we found on 32DS. This was model year 16 and I can't recall all the differences but it was a no brainer when you compared the gains for the price increase.

Doesn't help your issue though with convertible seating. We have 4 kids and haven't had a lack of room.
JLud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLud View Post
Here's my 2 cents. We looked at the 32ds last year and it felt inferior to other products. Woodwork and furniture were more flimsy than even the Georgetown line. We ended up going with the 364TS with a washer dryer combo for about 10,000 more than best price we found on 32DS. This was model year 16 and I can't recall all the differences but it was a no brainer when you compared the gains for the price increase.

Doesn't help your issue though with convertible seating. We have 4 kids and haven't had a lack of room.
Thanks JLud appreciate the info. Looks like the 364 has the lack of storage in the kitchen problem too, how do you manage with 6 people? . We only have 2 kids but one is special needs and we could really use the separated sitting areas while driving to keep things calmer in the cabin.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:39 AM   #4

Kitchen storage is a bit small but we use cabinets above dinette and actually with the fridge so big food storage hasn't been an issue. Sitting area is what it is though...unless you are comfirtable allowing travel while on a bunk.

Sofa and dinette provide a bit of separation. Can sit one at each area but may not be what your looking for.
JLud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepybadger View Post
We are still early in the process of looking for our first rv. We like the layout of the fr3 32ds as it gives us two separated seating areas for the kids. Being able to use the hallway seating under the bunk will be huge. My concern is the quality of the product. The fr3 is the entry level and some of the stuff we've seen seems cheap and low quality.

Any feedback on durability and quality? Haven't seen the rear convertible seating in any other rvs yet. For the Georgetown, the bunks are fixed beds.

Our 'dream' would have over cab sleeping. Dinnette seating up front. Seating elsewhere while underway for the kids. King bed. Wife also wants a washer/dryer when we go full time but we are 8 years from that and expect we will change rvs once our youngest leaves the nest.

Thanks
Have you taken a look at the Dynamax Isata 5 35DB? It's got the cabover, the bunks w/ the bottom bunk converting between sofa and bed, and it's a *very* nice build quality (not that I'm biased, of course...).
Old 04-20-2017, 01:47 PM   #6

About a year ago I was thinking of getting an FR3 until I sat in one. It seemed like very low grade materials. salesman showed us a Georgetown which was much nicer but my wife didn't like the sofa. Too wide from front to back. I liked it for same reason as a good place to take a nap.

We bought a Dynamax and have been very satisfied.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #7

In the trailer while underway?

Quote:

Thanks
Sounds as if the plan is to have passengers in the trailer while underway? I think only about three states allow people to ride in trailers while underway. Stay safe.
Waterops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterops1 View Post
Sounds as if the plan is to have passengers in the trailer while underway? I think only about three states allow people to ride in trailers while underway. Stay safe.
Hes talking about a Class A.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:47 PM   #9

My bad
Waterops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:57 PM   #10

We really enjoy our 2017 32ds. The separation between seating areas is excellent. When kids are in bottom bunks strapped in going down road a movie can be played and they love it. While parked again in bunks seated and adults can be in living room or bedroom again with nice seperation. Bathroom is very roomy and you just cant beat the space in a square/rectangular shape shower vs. curved glass closure(forget about a curtain shower). Also the cab over bunk is the best imo with no dangerous netting etc.. Many reason why we picked the fr332ds. #1 seperation bunks #2 bathroom/shower #3 cab over bed #4 quality may not be granite countertops but it is overall excellent for the price
Old 04-20-2017, 09:47 PM   #11

Our FR3 is an older model (2014), but we are quite happy. It was definitely sold to us as an "entry level" RV, but we love it. Since it's our first RV, maybe we don't know what we're missing. So far we've only taken short ventures (one week max), but will be traveling the whole month of July, so we'll be able to give it a full workout.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:26 PM   #12

Thanks for the info about the Dynamax. Closest one is almost 7 hours away and I'll need to talk to the boss about there not being an oven.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for the info about the Dynamax. Closest one is almost 7 hours away and I'll need to talk to the boss about there not being an oven.
They have microwave convection ovens. Not a traditional oven but you get more drawer space.

You should also check out FR Sunseekers.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterops1 View Post
My bad
People from Berks county are generally forgiven.

probably the same for those from South Jersey.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
People from Berks county are generally forgiven.

probably the same for those from South Jersey.
Never a problem. Just notice sometimes not everyone knows what everything is. I know I didn't back in 2012 when I joined, still don't!
Old 04-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Never a problem. Just notice sometimes not everyone knows what everything is. I know I didn't back in 2012 when I joined, still don't!
Yeah, same here.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:56 AM   #17

I bought a new 32ds about a year ago. Build materials are not like in higher end models, but still a great rv. Floor is awesome, couch/bunk is a real pleasure when you need the separation. Most importantly, i believe because of its length, it handles much better than 35-36ft gas motorhomes. I was considering the dynamax, but the outside storage on the fr3 won me over.
Nsopti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsopti View Post
I bought a new 32ds about a year ago. Build materials are not like in higher end models, but still a great rv. Floor is awesome, couch/bunk is a real pleasure when you need the separation. Most importantly, i believe because of its length, it handles much better than 35-36ft gas motorhomes. I was considering the dynamax, but the outside storage on the fr3 won me over.
Have you made any upgrades/changes Nspoti? I've seen folks post about replacing vent covers and adding sway bars.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Have you made any upgrades/changes Nspoti? I've seen folks post about replacing vent covers and adding sway bars.
I installed an in motion satellite, safe t steer, max vent covers, and a hard wired surge protector. I should have also had the dealer install electric fans by the vents. I am also considering sumo springs.
Nsopti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:37 PM   #20

updates

Quote:
I put up back-splash around kitchen sink and in the bathroom. Bought a surge protector. Added simple removable railing to top bunk (looks great). Would like vent covers yet vents are rarely open and any roofer will tell you less holes on roof the better. The big improvement was the chf and a simple alignment. There is NO NEED for anything else regarding handling. What a difference an alignment and chf made. I train cdl students and am used to driving larger class b and a vehicles. I drove for over 2,000 miles with no modifications to f53 chassis. After an alignment and chf the difference is unbelievable. Body roll is much less. Before for one example 72 was the max on thruway comfortably. Now I can go 75 with one finger no problem, and I now realize the 72 was what they call white knuckle driving.