Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #1

Rock to windshield large crack

I took a couple rocks to the windshield this summer. Now that I am home I called the insurance company. BTW Florida covers windshields at 100% no deducible under comprehensive. What is interesting is the very unknowable obv. junior rep. steered to a company called "Glass Lynx Serv." I asked about Safe lite, and he said we use Lynx. Now I don't know if one is better than the other, but I have never in 30+ years in dealing with State farm been told I had to use a given company. I questioned this which confused the rep. He put me on hold and came back with I can use who I wanted, but would get my claim # from Lynx. This seems fishy to me, but an internet search reveals Safe lite and Lynx in a battle for market share, and a lot of complaints of glass quality leveled at both. Going to do more research, but wow what a can of worms. It also revealed law suits about Safe lite and Lynx illegally acting as claim agents against certain "States" laws. Not sure about Florida Law.

Finally my question, Who has had their motor home windshield replaced and by whom and are you happy with the repair? I am not going to go to a dealer because they sub it out anyway.
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:39 PM   #2

I also have a chip in my windshield havent called insurance yet. I keep an eye on your post. Good luck
jlaw72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:52 PM   #3
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Had my windshield replaced about 6 months ago. My insurance company, Allied (though Good Sam) had me call the mfg. that supplies the windshield to FR. They are also in Elkhart, IN. They shipped a new, U.S. made windshield to a local installer who came to my home for the install. Have had no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:33 AM   #4

Had my windshield replaced by a local company called Binswanger. It was one of the defective windshields, so was under warranty, but their service and followup was great. IMHO, I would look for a local auto glass that has been in business for a while.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:01 AM   #5

Thanks
jlaw72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:45 AM   #6
Craig and Jillian

I have a crack in mine (below the driver's side wiper) and am waiting until we don't have a trip planned to replace.

I first called my insurance who sent out a Safelite rep. Safelite could not repair as the crack reached the edge, and the rep stated Safelite does not install RV replacement windshields.

My insurance said it was fine to waiti until Novemenber to replace, also at no cost in South Carolina.

DCT
Go_Postal_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:08 AM   #7

Watch out in Illinois, driving with a cracked windshield will get you a ticket. Don't know about the other 49 states.
MLBHSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:24 AM   #8

Had the windshield replaced in C-class by Apple Auto Glass , can't tell it was done other than there isn't FOMOCO script in new windshield.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:02 PM   #9

Finally got my windshield replaced. I went through RV glass solutions. RV glasstech inc. did the work. from Lakeland FL. I watched them do the job. I could tell they knew their stuff.
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote