Old 01-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #1

Running Generator while on Shore Power

2018 FR3 30DS. Presently connected to shore power while camping and wanted to know if ok to run my generator or do I need to disconnect from shore pwr and plug cord back into RV

fritzg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #2

You will be running your generator without a load. That should be fine.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #3

why

why
Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:25 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If it's merely to exercise your generator, you should have it under load.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
If it's merely to exercise your generator, you should have it under load.
X2

Check your operating manual. According to mine, if youíre exercising the generator, it should be under load. When I do mine, I start the generator, go flip the breaker to turn off shore power, then turn on the air conditioners. I reverse the process when done. There are other sequences to check other electrical equipment (inverter, etc.).
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroggyRon View Post
X2

Check your operating manual. According to mine, if youíre exercising the generator, it should be under load. When I do mine, I start the generator, go flip the breaker to turn off shore power, then turn on the air conditioners. I reverse the process when done. There are other sequences to check other electrical equipment (inverter, etc.).
I think the FR3 does not have a switching contactor and the shore umbilical has to be plugged into the RV for genny power. Your unit does have a switching contactor and the Genny has priority (default power source) and therefore switching the breakers off at the shore power pedestal accomplishes nothing. The switching contactor will automatically switch back to shore power when the genny is shutdown.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I think the FR3 does not have a switching contactor and the shore umbilical has to be plugged into the RV for genny power. Your unit does have a switching contactor and the Genny has priority (default power source) and therefore switching the breakers off at the shore power pedestal accomplishes nothing. The switching contactor will automatically switch back to shore power when the genny is shutdown.

Thanks. I see the difference. However, Iím assuming that the generator should be exercised under load. The operating manual should clarify. Plugging the umbilical into the RV and operating the air should do that.
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
transfer switch burnt up

I always unhook the shore power before starting the generator. I never done that for several years until I had a transfer switch burn up. It was in a previous motor home that I use to own. The switch was located behind the main electrical panel and could have caused a lot of damage. I was lucky it only burnt the contacts in the transfer switch. Extended warranty paid for the repair took 3 days to get it fixed. Part had to be ordered. As others have said your Generator has to be under load for proper maintenance. It needs to be exercised with a load, to dry any moisture in generator electrical parts. I learned this the hard way.
Mel
Old 01-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroggyRon View Post
Thanks. I see the difference. However, Iím assuming that the generator should be exercised under load. The operating manual should clarify. Plugging the umbilical into the RV and operating the air should do that.
I certainly agree. A load of some kind should be applied. The heavier the load probably the better.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
X2 same way on mine. If you have an Onan with the display in the RV you can see the amps on the display so you know it's taken the load.

Tags
generator, power