Old 08-07-2017, 01:08 PM   #1

RV QG 4000 Cummins Onan generator clicks

Hi,
I have a 2014 FR3 with a RV QG 4000 Cummins Onan generator. We traveled up north 3 weeks ago and it was working fine. We have been plugged in for 3 weeks and are about to leave so was testing the generator out. It just clicks (doesn't turn over) and seems to drain power from everything that is on when I try to start it now. I turned on the engine thinking that the batteries were low, but it didn't help. I checked the batteries by the door and they both have 12+ volts. Any ideas on why the generator just clicks and doesn't turn over? The oil was low, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't turn over when it was working 3 weeks ago. Seems like an electrical issue.

thanks in advance!!!
-Aaron

reportingguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by reportingguru View Post
Hi,
I have a 2014 FR3 with a RV QG 4000 Cummins Onan generator. We traveled up north 3 weeks ago and it was working fine. We have been plugged in for 3 weeks and are about to leave so was testing the generator out. It just clicks (doesn't turn over) and seems to drain power from everything that is on when I try to start it now. I turned on the engine thinking that the batteries were low, but it didn't help. I checked the batteries by the door and they both have 12+ volts. Any ideas on why the generator just clicks and doesn't turn over? The oil was low, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't turn over when it was working 3 weeks ago. Seems like an electrical issue.

thanks in advance!!!
-Aaron
Could be a bad solenoid. Have you tried starting it from the start switch at the generator?

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #3

Thanks. Yes, I took off off the panel on the generator and tried to start directly from start switch on the generator.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #4

Check the battery connections for corrosion and are tight including at the generator. sounds like you are not getting enough voltage/amps to crank the generator.
BBQGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:30 PM   #5

Automotive batteries are at 12.6 V when optimum. Then as they get older they slip down in voltage. To the point where 12.1V is not too great. The only way to really tell is to load test the batteries with a tester (Auto Parts stores can test them for you) My generator clicks occasionally when I try to start with my coach battery bank at 12.5V but some of my connections need to be cleaned as BBQGUY said. I need to get them cleaned...
2015 fr3 30DS, added 2nd A/C-Heat Pump, converted to 50amp, CHF with Hellwig Links, Progressive Power Management, TPMS, Blue Ox True-Center, Koni Shocks, HID Headlamps, LED Foglamps, Pioneer Stereo, Keyless entry, Auxiliary Cooling Fans for A/C Condenser.
Hogq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:23 PM   #6

Thanks all. It was a connection like you suggested. Thanks fore the help and feed back!!!
Old 08-09-2017, 08:53 AM   #7

Have you brought the oil level up where it should be ???
It may not start when oil is low ???

You also must have over a quarter of a tank of fuel if you have a MH ???

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator