Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Knowing what you know now, would you buy your FR3 again?
Yes 10 66.67%
No 2 13.33%
Not sure 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2015, 11:12 AM   #1

Rv3 or coachmen leprechaun

We are tied between the fr3 30ds or the leprechaun 32 foot. We love them both, but the list of things we don't like about the fr3 is pretty long--TV placement, no bathroom fan (what were they thinking?), no nightstand in bedroom, plastic toilet, cheap fixtures, no inverter, tight space for bunk, etc.. On the other hand, we love the layout and general feel of the fr3 and prefer it aesthetically to the leprechaun.

For those who have bought either the leprechaun or the fr3, what are the biggest pluses and minuses? How much did you have to put in after market to fix the shortcomings? Any general thought on the c versus a?

BTW, this will be our first RV. There's just two of us, but we will travel sometimes with up to 4 additional family members.

Thanks so much for any advice!

Deb
Debster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #2

We have our FR3 since April 2014. Really enjoy it. We did have an issue with a leaking windshield. After the third visit to the dealer they had to put a new windshield in.
welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:52 PM   #3

Fr3

Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
We have our FR3 since April 2014. Really enjoy it. We did have an issue with a leaking windshield. After the third visit to the dealer they had to put a new windshield in.
Thanks for your reply. Have you had any other issues?
Debster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:05 PM   #4

I justo got The 2015 FR30DS. I got a very good price which allowed me to put a lot of money improving it. still not getting even close to the price of a 32-34s. No problems so far but I've read about the single AC system not doing very good on its own when it gets hot outside. I will be adding a 2nd AC system and also upgrading the 30AmP to a 50AMP capacity.

You can check my post on everything I've done to my FR30Ds on the topic 2015 FR30DS washer/Drier + more.
ssaavedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:08 PM   #5

2014.5 25ds

We have the 25DS and bought it back in October. The items you listed certainly are minuses but for us, the upgrades and fixes were cheap and easy.

We had the dealer install fans in the bathroom and the main cabin with the purchase agreement. Work it in the deal. I installed a small/cheap inverter in the kitchen cabinet behind the tv. It plugs into the socket on the wall above the closet as you come in the rig. Runs tv while driving, which is all we really needed it for, for our kids.

I've done the cheap handling fix and will be putting in a steering stabilizer on in a week or so. You'll find that the FR3 gets pushed a bit by wind and semi's.

Sleeping 6 in a 30DS shouldn't be a problem as we always have 4 and 5 in ours. The table/bed is pretty tight for an adult but it has worked when needed. We have 2 smaller kids so it's plenty of room for us.

I have rented C's in the past but we looked a 'entry-level' Class A's and we decided you couldn't beat the space when ours is completely opened up. We loved the styling and the finishes inside and out.

I think most on here would agree that you have to remember that even at 60-70k, the FR3 is still an entry level rig and the bugs are still being worked out as they manufacture them. We haven't had too many problems, which seems to be the norm on most all RV's as you break them in.

We live in Colorado and have yet to use the A/C so I can't speak about it's limits or capabilities but we tend to stay in the high country so having to use the A/C wasn't high on our priority list......the fans seem to keep the rig cool enough and even if it does get warm, we just go outside and do our thing til it cools down.

Hope that helps.
Meathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:15 PM   #6
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

We've had our FR3 since November 2013 and have been pretty lucky (knock on wood) that what problems we've had have been minor. I've never had second thoughts about buying it. Keep in mind that the FR3 is the low end of the spectrum of class A MH's. I think their slogan is; class C feel with a class A look. No matter what you buy, you're going to not like something and do whatever updates you want. Just go in with an open mind and think, "I can remedy that".
Good luck in your hunt.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:38 PM   #7

Had our FR3 since Feb 2014 and love it. Got a great price on it which makes up for the few short comings and leaves $ to customize. Love the fact that Forest River stands behind their products and is tops in customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Gem Hunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:46 PM   #8

Why a Leprechaun? Have you looked into the Foresters or Sunseekers? There are pluses and minuses to both A and C rigs; kind of depends on what you want in a rig. A's have more living space in front, but minimal permanent sleeping/storage space in front. They have a heavier duty chassis and more expensive tires and some say more difficult to drive than a C. With a C, you get an automotive quality dash, and an automotive front cab with great A/C. Plus you get 2 front doors.
I don't think you can say one is better, just what you prefer for your uses.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debster View Post
We are tied between the fr3 30ds or the leprechaun 32 foot. We love them both, but the list of things we don't like about the fr3 is pretty long--TV placement, no bathroom fan (what were they thinking?), no nightstand in bedroom, plastic toilet, cheap fixtures, no inverter, tight space for bunk, etc.. On the other hand, we love the layout and general feel of the fr3 and prefer it aesthetically to the leprechaun.

For those who have bought either the leprechaun or the fr3, what are the biggest pluses and minuses? How much did you have to put in after market to fix the shortcomings? Any general thought on the c versus a?

BTW, this will be our first RV. There's just two of us, but we will travel sometimes with up to 4 additional family members.

Thanks so much for any advice!

Deb
We bought a 2009 Coachman Leprechaun,,,,,and were very disapointed with the coach,,,we felt every bump in the road...I felt that the chassie was overloaded and the springs bottomed out ....which added up to to much weight..by the way it was the same without a load. Very noisey with lots of raddles. We traded for a new 2012 Georgetown could not be happier
Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:07 AM   #10

Talking rv3 or coachmen leprechaun

We purchased a 2015 Leprechaun Class C and have taken it on one trip to MO from MN and of course came back. Had a couple issues, one was the outlet above sink fell out of it mounted hole in wall. Breaker cover panel kept falling down. And last but not least where our son in law slept one curtain went hay wire with the draw string but I believe that may have like a bull in a china closet situation.:):):roflblack:
We do have an issue with the size of the bath room and for sure the shower, I am 6'2" and it can be difficult to get a shower due to the room but not impossible.

Hope this helps with Class C
Stepheng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:38 AM   #11

We just bought the 2015 FR3 and its 1st trip will be to Moab. We really liked it, and know our dealer will stand behind it and us with any issues. Lots of great ideas on here for little upgrades you can do yourself. I've done many of them and it's been great fun.

Jenny (FR3/30DS)
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen