Old 04-02-2015, 03:01 PM   #11

I am sure the folks at United Safety Apparatus wouldn't be happy to know CW's position. I would suggest calling them at 1-800-USA-SAFE, letting them know what happened and ask them to authorize someone else to finish the job.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #12

It's a nice way to make money. Install the part and then let someone else do the adjustment. Saves on labor. I am sure, like every other business, there are good ones and bad ones.

2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:02 AM   #13

Agreed CW is the last place to install anything! I had a stationary dome removed and replaced with an in motion at CW. I asked for a pre install quote and was given a range $400 either way.

Once the install was done they charged the highest end of the quote including for the installation of the power switch, and coax that was already there to begin with. They charged separately for screws that were already in the box and for labor as if they had installed a virgin system. When I asked the service manager what he was charging me his reply was that there was only one sku in the system for installs and he had no authority to reduce a partial swap out install.

The pre set SKU labor assumed 3 hours! My install only took one hour but because it was early November they had to let it sit inside to cure the sealant and the manager claimed that wait time as labor. I got a small discount on the cost of cables and screws but that's all. They seemed unapologetic. I'll never have them touch my coach again.

One last note on CW. I did not purchase the coach from them. They are apparently not an approved reseller. They will sell FR trade ins but not new.

2014 FR330 DS
Old 04-03-2015, 01:51 AM   #14
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

I don't know what state you live in technorick but, here in Calif. if you're charged over a written estimate without them getting your approval, you're not liable for the extra charges. If you have a Bureau of Automotive Repair, or something similar in your state, I would definitely report them.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #15

Had mine installed at CW La Mirada, CA last month. The tech was outstanding in his courtesy and proficiency. Package arrived with the wrong sized U-bolts (I bought from Amazon) but he was able to replace them for me with the correct size at no charge. He also nailed the install on the first try. No adjustment was needed. Drove out to Death Valley last month for a couple of weeks and what a difference on the freeway and the unpaved roads in the park. Handles like a dream now!
Old 04-07-2015, 11:18 AM   #16

Update .. Drove 100 miles south, dropped off the RV and explained to Thurston Spring Service in Richmond, VA that I recently had Camping World install the Safe-T Plus and that the steering wheel was off center now and pulling slightly. The mechanic at Thurston test drove the RV, removed and reinstalled the Safe-T Plus, test drove it again, made a few adjustments, test drove, and returned the RV to me with a straight wheel, no pulling and no need for an alignment.

The manager from Camping World called and was sorry I didnt like the experience at Camping World and offered to refund the install fee. When I explained I drove over 200 miles, took a day off work, and paid more to have their work corrected, they needed to more than apologize.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:25 AM   #17
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Good for you 3BadDogs. They should do more than apologize. Just very unfortunate that you had to have a do-over. Funny isn't it, that when the work is done properly everything works as it should? I would definitely take the manager up on the refund tho' before he changes his mind.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:03 PM   #18

Steering Issues

I too am having a bit of a time with the steering. I purchased a 2003 Sunseeker that has 29,000 miles. My wife and I are very anal when it comes to our vehicles. That being said, we wanted to ensure everything was in tip top shape. We knew going in that we would have to put a little money into the motorhome after the purchase. The steering wheel was off center to the right when we purchased the MH, and it listed a bit to the right. We had the rear springs rebuilt ($600.00), had Monroe gas-matic shocks installed (did not want to wait until July for Bilstein) and an alignment done ($550.00). No issues were reported with linkage, tie rod ends, etc. The tires are in excellent shape (brand new in September 2014, Mastercraft (Cooper) STR E ,with very little miles on them). I picked up the MH tonight after work and made the drive home. Now the steering wheel is cocked to the left. Iím not worried, as I know the folks that did the alignment will make it right. I will call them in the morning, as the shop was closed when I picked up the MH. By the way Ė the shocks felt wonderful. My question concerns the steering. It is a bit sloppy. It seems I have to constantly manipulate or move the steering wheel to keep it going straight. It is definitely not pulling to one side, itís more like wandering. Would something like the Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer help with the wandering and free-play in the steering wheel? Any thought or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance to all you experienced RVíers.

2014 Palomino 30RKSS-1S Travel Trailer
The Mustard Seed is offline   Reply With Quote