Old 04-01-2015, 08:04 AM   #1

Angry Safe-T Plus Steering Control

I am asking for help/advice from those of you who have the Safe-T Plus installed. Sorry its long ...

I have a 2015 FR3 25DS, purchased in July 2014. I drove it away with 703 miles on the odometer. After my first and only major adventure, I called the dealer and said the steering wheel is off center considerably and it is awkward to drive like that. The dealers response "well you didn't tell us about it during the sales inspection so theres nothing we can do" so I kindly responded "I did not get the chance to drive it until after the inspection." The dealer service people then informed me that I must have a hit a pot hole or bump and knocked it out of alignment, I needed to have it aligned, they don't do that, call ford, bye now.

After many phone calls and lots of "oh we don't service RVs here," I located a garage that did RV alignments, several hundred dollars later, the steering wheel was aligned. Off to storage I go.

Now to the Safe-T Plus. After reading the reviews and positive impressions, I decided to have Camping World install the Safe-T Plus steering stabilizer. I was told that it would increase the handling of the RV and make the driving a little less loose. From the alignment garage to Camping World, 50 miles, all highway. They install Safe-T Plus, I drive away and immediately notice it is pulling ALOT to the left and the steering wheel is off center AGAIN. I take it back .. tech says he can adjust again but he already did it once and the RV must be out of alignment. I kindly explained that there was just an alignment done 50 miles ago and when i gave you the keys the steering wheel was straight so the only modification in this scenario was him and the installation of the Safe-T Plus. As Im sitting in Camping World, I spoke to garage that did alignment and techs at Safe-T Plus, both indicated it sounded like something in the stabilizer needed adjustment. Tech at CW proceeded to tell me that he was going to keep adjusting the stabilizer and if the garage that did the alignment did not guarantee service then it was his fault. At this point my blood was boiling and I was going to explode. I turned around mid sentence and left CW.

For those who have the Safe T Plus installed, did it affect your steering wheel location? cause it to pull (right or left)? have adjustments made?

Thank you!

Old 04-01-2015, 08:23 AM   #2

Safety plus must be centered it takes a couple of test drives to get it right. Go to safety plus web site for help . Also if it is not tighten right to the tie rod it will slip, making the steering wheel off center. But go to or call safey plus they were a great help to me. ALSO MOVE THE FRONT AND REAR SWAY BAR LINKS TO IN BOARD HOLES MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN HANDLING, CALL CH FIX CHEAP HANDLING FIX

Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:32 AM   #3

The problem is simple, Camping World did not center the steering wheel when they installed the Safe-T-Plus I installed mine and I had the same issue before I made the final adjustment. Their is nothing wrong with your alignment, the Safe-T-Plus just needs to be adjusted.
Chet
Old 04-01-2015, 10:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carman View Post
the problem is simple, camping world did not center the steering wheel when they installed the safe-t-plus i installed mine and i had the same issue before i made the final adjustment. Their is nothing wrong with your alignment, the safe-t-plus just needs to be adjusted.
Chet
i agree back to camping world ,no alignment
Old 04-01-2015, 11:38 AM   #5
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

3baddogs.. First off; Your front end alignment/steering wheel adjustment is covered under Ford warranty. I got the approval from FR (Travis Bird) and took my 30DS to an authorized Ford dealer. They needed to adjust the tie rod ends, adjust the steering wheel rod and then do the alignment. Happy camper now.
I also had the Safe T Plus installed and it took the shop 4 test drives to get the adjustment right. No, it did not affect the wheel position or alignment. I am very happy with the outcome. If CW won't agree to properly adjust the stabilizer, I'd have some pretty nasty words with some one in authority. The instructions tell you that it may take "several" attempts to get proper handling. Sound to me that the CW tech is trying to get away with a shoddy install.
I'm not, and never will be, a proponent of having CW do any type of install or service. I've heard too many horror stories. JMHO

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
3baddogs.. First off; Your front end alignment/steering wheel adjustment is covered under Ford warranty. I got the approval from FR (Travis Bird) and took my 30DS to an authorized Ford dealer. They needed to adjust the tie rod ends, adjust the steering wheel rod and then do the alignment. Happy camper now.
I also had the Safe T Plus installed and it took the shop 4 test drives to get the adjustment right. No, it did not affect the wheel position or alignment. I am very happy with the outcome. If CW won't agree to properly adjust the stabilizer, I'd have some pretty nasty words with some one in authority. The instructions tell you that it may take "several" attempts to get proper handling. Sound to me that the CW tech is trying to get away with a shoddy install.
I'm not, and never will be, a proponent of having CW do any type of install or service. I've heard too many horror stories. JMHO
amen to that
Old 04-02-2015, 05:47 AM   #7

I'd like to know the name and location even the phone number of the dealership that has treated you so poorly. PM me the info if you don't want it posted.
My dealership here in Minnesota is the best!! BEST! Anyone looking to buy a motorhome from a 5+ star dealership come to Minnesota.

JeNNY (FR3/30DS)
Old 04-02-2015, 08:54 AM   #8

I too have a great dealership here in Minnesota, recommend any one purchasing get it here.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:22 PM   #9

Hi everyone, Thank you for the feedback. I spoke to Safe-T Plus and another authorized dealer, both explained that it does take several times to get it right and requires patience but it is worth it. I'm going to drive the two hours south to the technician who seems to understand that it requires patience. No one seems to be able to explain how the tech at CW can refuse to make adjustments when that is part of the installation process I paid for but he did.

This was my first AND LAST experience with a Camping World. I was so angry that the tech wanted to stand in the middle of the store and argue with me that there was something wrong with the adjustments (accused me of hitting a pothole or bump, basically saying that because I am a female there is no way I could know if my MH was out of alignment). That I was wrong in knowing when I turned over the keys to them the steering wheel was centered and the MH was not pulling to either side.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #10
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

I rest my case 3BadDogs. Nobody deserves to be treated the way you were at CW. Especially by some wrench-turning-jacka** that probably has no idea what he's doing. I don't care if you're female or male. There's just no excuse for it.
That being said. If you're a subscriber to MotorHome Magazine, or not, there is an "action hot line" that you might write to to see if they can help you get your $$$ back from CW. Just need to send a typed letter to: MotorHome Hot Line, 2750 Park View Ct., Suite 240, Oxnard, CA 93036. You'll need to enclose copies of appropriate bills and any correspondence, plus a self addressed stamped envelope.
It worked for a friend of mine. Hopefully it'll work for you.
GOOD LUCK!!

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote