Old 07-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #1

Satellite for our FR30DS

The manual says our 2014 FR30DS is "Satellite ready".

What does that mean and do I need to mount a dish on the roof or is it better to find a ground mounted device?

Any advice on carriers/providers for Satellite TV AND Internet???

Pros and cons?????

Thanks in advanc

Dylvinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:56 PM   #2

Probably means you have an external hook up available where your cable connection is, also you will need a dish. Either Dish Network or Directv. I would go for external on ground dish. Just my three cents worth

Tonyusfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:11 PM   #3

In 2014, satellite ready meant a reinforcement on the roof for the dish, a 4 conductor telephone cable and a coax going up to the roof by the radio antenna and accessible through what looks like a white plumbing vent. Depending on your roof layout there is a plywood panel for attaching the dish. The attached diagram is for my 2015 335DS. FR might, and I say might, give you one for your rig.

I didn't use it anyway as it is in the wrong place for me. My dish base is big enough that it spreads the load and with lots of caulk hold fine. However, today you can't get my little crank up 18" winegard dish any longer and need a Traveller or equivalent. Much bigger and heavier.

You can get a carryout but you will have to wire it yourself on a 2014.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2-335roof3.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	209375  

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:48 PM   #4

I use the DISH "Pay As You Go" plan. You have to buy the portable satellite and receiver. I installed a TV/Satellite connection in the coach battery compartment by drilling a hole up through the floor in the pantry area next to the entry door and running a coax cable up the pantry wall and in behind the TV.

2016 FR3 30DS w/2016 Chevy Colorado Toad
Days Camped: 2017 - 45, 2018 - 52, 2019 - 28
Papaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:52 PM   #5

A manufacturer and sales BS statement... Satellite Ready, Solar Ready... It means the same thing as Cable Ready in a house means. The wiring is there you just have to provide the equipment. On the outside of the RV is usually an cable coax jack and a satellite jack. On some models the satellite wiring goes to the roof for roof mount dishes, and the receiver goes inside near the TV - Entertainment center. Unless you have a DirecTV or DISH compatible dish and receiver all you have is wiring.
But all these things are available for sale.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #6

Dish access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylvinia View Post
The manual says our 2014 FR30DS is "Satellite ready".

What does that mean and do I need to mount a dish on the roof or is it better to find a ground mounted device?

Any advice on carriers/providers for Satellite TV AND Internet???

Pros and cons?????

Thanks in advanc
I have the same plate on my Forest River Pursuit FW30.
I hooked up my Portable dish (sold)
thru cable hookup outside and re-routed inside panel. I now have no Dish account and have a Dish VIP211Z Receiver and remote for sale if you are just starting out.
I also used an RF Modulator to watch broadcasts on bedroom or outside TV.
Good luck
Bytesponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #7
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
A manufacturer and sales BS statement... Satellite Ready, Solar Ready... It means the same thing as Cable Ready in a house means. The wiring is there you just have to provide the equipment. On the outside of the RV is usually an cable coax jack and a satellite jack. On some models the satellite wiring goes to the roof for roof mount dishes, and the receiver goes inside near the TV - Entertainment center. Unless you have a DirecTV or DISH compatible dish and receiver all you have is wiring.
But all these things are available for sale.
I wouldn't call it a "BS statement". It says "satellite ready", not "satellite equipped". Your TV has a towing package, but it doesn't come with a trailer.

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #8

A campground may have cable listed available, some free, some extra. The wire under the ground may or may not carry a quality signal, ya never know. Local TV channels may or may not be clear or available if you are looking for the race or sports events, or even news and weather. Remember we don't camp according to signal available, we camp in valleys, behind mountains, in the mountains, in BFE somewhere that they don't have power or water.

Satellite is good if you have line of sight to the southern sky. Might need a long cable from satellite dish to your rig since we all like the shade. This is a real bummer for those with fixed satellite dishes on their roof. As long as I can get a view of the southern sky satellite is good... until heavy cloud cover with thunderstorms interfere... or better yet one of the kids decides to hang wet towels over the dish and blocks it out!
We also use Fire Stick which works in some campgrounds that have a robust Wi-Fi signal that can handle the streaming. Then there is always DVD or movies we downloaded on flash drive.

Short answer it's nice, but as my wife is always telling me "You'll Be Fine" when I gripe about not having something.

Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
Old 07-10-2019, 03:49 PM   #9

D W you are too funny. I can see there is never a dull moment at your campfire!

Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
Old 07-10-2019, 04:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I wouldn't call it a "BS statement". It says "satellite ready", not "satellite equipped". Your TV has a towing package, but it doesn't come with a trailer.
I totally agree. It is satellite ready. Wiring a coax and control cables from the entertainment center to the roof is a very difficult job after the coach is built. I think people expect too much here. FR went to the trouble of doing this on every single class A that I know of. It wasn't free.

Now that little plug that runs 16 gauge wire to the batteries and is called solar ready...is a marketing joke, but not by the manufacturer, by the solar vendor who probably gives them the $15 worth of parts and has a proprietary panel connector.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fr3, lite, satellite