Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2015, 02:18 PM   #1

Satellite TV wiring

Has anyone mounted a King Rover Automatic Satellite dish on the roof of your FR3 30DS (2014)? How is it connected into the coach's TV system? Where did you put receiver?
Old 03-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'd look into getting a portable.
Otherwise you have to be VERY mindful of your parking location to make sure you can get a signal.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #3

There are several posts about how people connected portables. But u have to circumvent the existing wiring. I would rather use the built in system. I think I can get around the tree issue.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:22 AM   #4

All you have to do is disconnect the house cable to the white amplifier by the door as you come in and add a coupling, then connect it to your Sat receiver. Plug your portable sat dish to the same place you would hook up your Park cable. I use my portable sat system everywhere we go.
Brewster McFrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster McFrisk View Post
All you have to do is disconnect the house cable to the white amplifier by the door as you come in and add a coupling, then connect it to your Sat receiver. Plug your portable sat dish to the same place you would hook up your Park cable. I use my portable sat system everywhere we go.
What kind of coupling would I need? Want to connect a portable SAT to the cable in line.... although some say this can't be done and you need to run a new line... "my spring project"
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #6

The coupling is nothing going more than a male to male coupling used to join 2 TV cables available at in Walmart in the electronic section.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:54 PM   #7
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
It's called a splitter and has to be for a sat. connection
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:47 PM   #8

It's not called a splitter, a splitter takes one signal and divides it to two. The Sat signal will not work running it through the amplifier so you disconnect your RVs campgrounds cable and add a coupling to connect a short cable to you Sat reciever. You connect your portable Sat dish cable to the in connection where you would normally connect the campground cable.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:01 PM   #9
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Check out the library here and you'll see lots of ways to make what you already have work, or a few parts at minimal cost.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:19 PM   #10

Quote:

Brewster
Thank you. That was a very clear and reassuring explanation of how to use a portable.

Do you have any recommendation for how to wire a roof mounted system? I don't want a long cable running to the rear of the coach to the "park cable" connector. I know the roof mount might present problems if I have to park under trees, but still want to know if it is possible.

Thanks for your help
Old 03-19-2015, 07:58 PM   #11

Z Maze, I would run the wires down the refer vent, route them through the cabinets to where you wish the reciever to be. I always avoid drilling through the roof whenever possible. Thats my advice, since you asked!
THANK YOU for asking!!
Completely do able
Old 03-19-2015, 10:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Z Maze, I would run the wires down the refer vent, route them through the cabinets to where you wish the reciever to be. I always avoid drilling through the roof whenever possible. Thats my advice, since you asked!
THANK YOU for asking!!
Completely do able

Wow! Brewster,
That sounds perfect. Thank you.

Tags
satellite, wiring