Old 03-03-2015, 03:22 PM   #1

Screen over front grill on FR3

Does anyone install a screen over the grill work on the front of their FR3? I noticed that the grill had very large spaces between the bars. This could be a problem with rocks and gravel and also bugs in the summer getting to the radiator. Please let me know if anyone has installed anything to prevent this problem.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:30 PM   #2
Old Enough to Know Better

Not a motor home but I put black fiberglass screen between the grill and the radiator of my 96 F350, it worked very well and is fairly easy to change. I have not done it to my new truck but plan too.
Hope this helps

Old 03-03-2015, 04:43 PM   #3

We had a custom made cover done up, screen and leather. We travelled 14,000 km in the summer of 2014 and all was great. No bugs, rocks or birds.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 03-03-2015, 05:13 PM   #4

For rock protection, I would suggest ordering some stainless steel mesh from McMaster-Carr. You can get the mesh in a huge variety of apertures and gauge such that you are not grossly restricting flow area but are achieving good protection.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #5
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Progolfer. Check the general discussion for the FR3 under "Rock found in ac condenser". You'll see what others have done on this subject.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:29 PM   #6

I got some heavy plastic mesh used to protect trees and attached on the inside with black zip ties. I drilled very small holes for the sixties and thou can not even see them. Looks fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 03-07-2015, 07:41 AM   #7
PDG

I purchased a wire screen at home depot (similar to what would be used for a rabbit hutch $12.00) and epoxied (used Loctite marine epoxy works on fiberglass $6.00) about 10 to 12 small tabs (home depot $3.00) to the inside of each engine door. The tabs have slits that zip ties can wrap through securing the wire screen to each tab. I cut the screen to match inside each door pattern, cutting the screen around the door latch's. It really works great keeping bugs and rocks from reaching inside the engine compartment. Doesn't stop external door chips though.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by progolfer View Post
Does anyone install a screen over the grill work on the front of their FR3? I noticed that the grill had very large spaces between the bars. This could be a problem with rocks and gravel and also bugs in the summer getting to the radiator. Please let me know if anyone has installed anything to prevent this problem.

I spoke to one of the design engineers at The Forrest River FR3 plant and asked about some type of bug cover or mask and he told me about using 1/4 inch screen but to be careful not to restrict air flow. The size of the openings is what Ford required from Forrest River to keep that V-10 cool. He said watch your temp gage .