Old 07-29-2016, 04:51 PM   #1
Branchman

Sediment debris in faucets and toilet valve

I have a 2014 30DS and have had constant problems with the toilet valve clogging with what appears to sediment debris.

At first I thought it was pvc shavings, but it is not.

When I change the anode rod in the water heater and the same type or sediment was rinsed out.

I understand how this sediment could get into all the faucets that provide hot water,
Sinks, shower, eg.

But how does the sediment get into the flush valve since it is only cold water?

How do I correct the problem?

Thanks in advance

Old 07-29-2016, 05:11 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Common issue during the manufacturing process.
Keep cleaning the screens it'll eventually clear up

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "22"

Old 07-29-2016, 05:26 PM   #3

I don't have a scientific explanation, but it seems possible since the WH has a cold intake that under the wrong conditions, lets say a faucet, outside shower, etc., had both hot and cold valves on at the same time, while you were bleeding the cold line of air, that water could flow out the cold intake into the cold water lines. I'm trying to wrap my head around this and its a struggle!

If you didn't do so, I would place WH in bypass (like when winterizing) go back and flush the WH very well... then still in bypass, bleed air from all faucets and the WC valve very well. Then place WH into normal mode and flush some more.

I have seen sediment in faucet screens that I assumed comes from the WH, but not really sure. I think it was Turbs that suggests placing WH into bypass before draining or removing anode. I will do this from now on.

WW

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #4
Site Team

Depending on how your WH input line is plumbed ( valve or anti back-flow) If you open the low point drains to drain lines, you can draw water from both the hot and cold lines on the WH. The cold line is near the bottom and will suck out some crud. This them settles in the lines and next time water flows normally, it is drawn into the faucets.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:25 PM   #5

FOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branchman View Post
I have a 2014 30DS and have had constant problems with the toilet valve clogging with what appears to sediment debris.

At first I thought it was pvc shavings, but it is not.

When I change the anode rod in the water heater and the same type or sediment was rinsed out.

I understand how this sediment could get into all the faucets that provide hot water,
Sinks, shower, eg.

But how does the sediment get into the flush valve since it is only cold water?

How do I correct the problem?

Thanks in advance
I also had to clean the screen in my bath faucet. In the aerospace industry we call it "FOD". That is, foreign object damage from fabrication debris being left in the product during manufacture. It's essentially lack of adequate quality control and a bad testament for any company like Forest River. I am tempted to write a letter directly to Warren Buffett about it and other pesky failures I have had with my Georgetown although, I am generally satisfied with the overall product. . I think he would be displeased to hear some of the quality defects being allowed to pass by his Forest River company. Maybe I will when I get a chance.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:24 PM   #6

In all our years of RVing, we never had sediment anywhere in our lines as we always use a water filter on the hose providing water to the rig. They are inexpensive if you buy them at Wally. Camco Water Filter, 2 Pack - Walmart.com Cheap fix and better water.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Depending on how your WH input line is plumbed ( valve or anti back-flow) If you open the low point drains to drain lines, you can draw water from both the hot and cold lines on the WH. The cold line is near the bottom and will suck out some crud. This them settles in the lines and next time water flows normally, it is drawn into the faucets.
Yes close the W/H bypass then Drain the W/H! Now drain the Low Point Drains! NO "Crud/White Crap" this way "Down Stream"! Incoming Water filter has Nothing to do with the W/H "White Crud/Crap! Youroo!!
Old 07-30-2016, 04:31 PM   #8

External Water Filter Won't Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyRetirees View Post
In all our years of RVing, we never had sediment anywhere in our lines as we always use a water filter on the hose providing water to the rig. They are inexpensive if you buy them at Wally. Camco Water Filter, 2 Pack - Walmart.com Cheap fix and better water.
The contamination clogging faucets talked about in some of the reports is from debris left in the lines during manufacture that is downstream of any external water filter. Other contamination types are unused screws, electrical wiring scraps and sawdust in the walls and cabinets and Styrofoam coming out of the AC vents and light fixtures. One could argue that they what you don't know won't hurt your rig but the lack of quality control could be why so many RV's cause their owners so much grief. You have to give the auto companies much more credit for quality control and resultin reliability.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:15 PM   #9

Depending on the mineral content of the water this could be scale forming in the water lines.
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:43 PM   #10
Retired Aerospace Engr.

WH Anode Crud in cold water lines

It is sediment from the deteriorating Anode in the Water heater.
Flybob is correct in his assessment as to how the crud gets into the cold water lines leading to the toilet valve and other bath faucets.
I had this happen in my FR Sandstorm T256 SLR Toyhauler recently.
The fix is to back-flush the toilet valve and replace the WH anode after thoroughly flushing the WH and cold water lines. I added a filter to the water line to the toilet and covered the new anode with a "Knee-high" cut to fit, stretched over, and retained with a small piece of SS wire just inside the threads (courtesy of the DW). All crud now comes out with the old anode.
All faucets can be cleared by simply unscrewing the end filter screen; not so easy is the toilet valve.

Tags
faucet