Old 01-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #1

Shower skylight leaking

Anyone else had this issue? After winterizing, I went out to exercise the genset and found the bathroom light full of water. Pulled the interior side of the skylight off and found multiple cracks in the light as well as one large entry point where it looks like the Dicor has pulled back from the edge of the skylight.

Ive tried to bandaid with eternabond for the moment, but Im guessing that this is going to need replacement ASAP. Has anyone sourced one of these online?

cucamelsmd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #2

If you posted what model Rv your dealing with, I'm sure you could get a better response! I just replaced mine on my SS 2300 and it was a PITA because the seam where the back wall and the roof meet - overlaps the rear edge of the skylight. Plus the stupid hurricane headed this way as soon as I scrapped all the dicor off to begin the job...

PhilG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:39 PM   #3

Well, I did post this in the FR3 motorhome section, so....
Old 01-03-2017, 01:09 PM   #4
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post
Well, I did post this in the FR3 motorhome section, so....
cucamelsmd15,

Perhaps PhilG is referring to the FR3 model designation (e.g.; 25DS, 28DS, 29DS, 30DS, 32DS) of your MH. It is possible that different skylights may be used within the FR3 line and even within the same model designation (based on year).

Take microwaves for instance. The 2017 FR3 30DS microwave is different from the 2016 FR3 30DS and earlier microwaves.

Just a thought...

Theo
Theo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #5

If you need a skylight, just google up "rv skykights".
Dozens of sites will come up. Standard, custom, odd shaped...there all there.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
cucamelsmd15,

Perhaps PhilG is referring to the FR3 model designation (e.g.; 25DS, 28DS, 29DS, 30DS, 32DS) of your MH. It is possible that different skylights may be used within the FR3 line and even within the same model designation (based on year).

Take microwaves for instance. The 2017 FR3 30DS microwave is different from the 2016 FR3 30DS and earlier microwaves.

Just a thought...

Theo
Touche. I was admittedly being a smart...

Its a 30DS, 2014 model with the gray front cap.

I THINK based on my google-fu that this is more or less a standard part and I just need to cough up the $120 for one.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:15 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Here's my recommendation based on past experience with this company. Suggest you go with Lexan for your replacement...it does scratch a little easier, but is FAR less likely to crack.

RV Skylights, Square, Rectangular & Round.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:27 PM   #8

Since ours is an octagon shape, we could always go with a rectangle from @GreenIMP's link above. You would never know from the inside, since the interior shroud is the same. I need to look into this as well since I've only done a temp silicon fix last summer around the edges. Crazy the clear ones only have a 2 year UV warranty. The hell with clear, I'll take the white, 5 year warranty ones...:-)
Old 01-05-2017, 06:43 PM   #9

We have the 30DS 2014. Our skylight has cracks coming from the screw holes. I ordered a lexan skylight and will be replacing it soon. I also put a temp repair which is working so far.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
niedobry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #10
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
Here's my recommendation based on past experience with this company. Suggest you go with Lexan for your replacement...it does scratch a little easier, but is FAR less likely to crack.

RV Skylights, Square, Rectangular & Round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niedobry1 View Post
We have the 30DS 2014. Our skylight has cracks coming from the screw holes. I ordered a lexan skylight and will be replacing it soon. I also put a temp repair which is working so far.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Same symptoms- a leak into my shower from one of the screw heads. I ordered from GreenImp's link and love my new skylight.

Tags
leak, light, show, shower, skylight