Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2017, 05:20 PM   #1
bes

Silverado Headlight Assembly on FR3

Hey Guys; has anyone upgraded the bulbs in the replacement headlight assembly's? The replacements are better but far from great. Any input with specific recommendations (except don't drive in the dark) would be helpful. Thx Barry
bes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #2

I added a set of Hella in my grill and can now see fine. The stock units are really just like running lights. They are incapable of lighting the road at night. Mine is an early 14 unit so hopefullythey have improved them by now.
KY25DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:23 PM   #3

Hid replacement lamps

My 2015 fr3 has the aftermarket "halo" ring Projector Silverado style headlamp assemblies. The performance was dismal. They were wholly unsafe at night. I purchased 5000k 55W hid xenon lamps and ballast on Amazon. The low beams are h3 bulb style on my coach. They were pretty cheap, around 50.00, and they do not cause any electrical issues, though I also installed the optional relay kit to make certain that full voltage was getting to the lamp bulbs. These lamps are much brighter through the projector assembly, compared to the original halogen bulbs. I found that the original headlamps had melted the bulb connectors and had blacked the wires, close to causing a fire, likely due to bad connection and perhaps voltage. I cut back the wires and replaced the sockets, though with the new relay now installed, the original sockets only pull enough current to engage the relay windings. The actual ballast/lamps are powered direct from the chassis battery via the relay. The link is

https://www.amazon.com/55W-Innovited-HID-Xenon-Conversion/dp/B00MHID3RK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1497923535&sr=8-8&keywords=innovited+h3+hid+kit

I don't know if your coach has the actual GM headlamp assemblies, or the aftermarket halo projector style, but the hid xenon ballast/bulbs are much easier to drive with, and they are available with the GM bulb.style also. I also purchased a spare pair of ballast, and pulled the fuse for the daytime running lights, as I am concerned about ballast life.
I also replaced the fog lights with led fog lamps which are much brighter with a lot less current demand also. These were like $35.00 on amazon, replacements for jeep fog lights.
Hogq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:55 PM   #4

Forest river gave us new head lights... they are better but not perfect and they do not fit the opening well.. had to silicone the 1/2 inch opening around... and use zip ties to help keep them from rattling out of the hole
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:22 AM   #5

Yes, I read through all the threads on headlights for the fr3. I figured that my wife and I, like the OP, probably missed the headlamp replacement deal. It seemed like some had to pay 1/2 cost for the new headlamp assy, some received it for free. The GM headlights are probably better performers, I don't think the projector style (original equipment on my coach), is even DOT certified. Amazing. By the way, for what it's worth, the LED fog lamps I installed have an led halo ring that I wired right in ( and replaced the pen hard wiring with a proper water tight plug). They also have a allen wrench keyed adjustment for aiming.
2015 fr3 30DS, added 2nd A/C-Heat Pump, both A/C have EasyStart, Auto Transfer Switch, CHF with Hellwig Links, Progressive Power Management, TPMS, Blue Ox True-Center, Koni Shocks, HID Headlamps, LED Foglamps, Pioneer Stereo, Keyless entry, Auxiliary Cooling Fans for A/C Condenser, dashcam front-rear, Yokohama Tires, air ride seats, onboard air compressor, 3000 watt hybrid Victron inverter Venus Generator Control, centramatic wheel balancers
Old 06-25-2017, 08:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogq View Post
Yes, I read through all the threads on headlights for the fr3. I figured that my wife and I, like the OP, probably missed the headlamp replacement deal. It seemed like some had to pay 1/2 cost for the new headlamp assy, some received it for free. The GM headlights are probably better performers, I don't think the projector style (original equipment on my coach), is even DOT certified. Amazing. By the way, for what it's worth, the LED fog lamps I installed have an led halo ring that I wired right in ( and replaced the OEM hard wiring with a proper water tight plug). They also have a allen wrench keyed adjustment for aiming.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0848.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	142713Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0844.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	142714Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0847.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	142715Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0845.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	142716
Pics of the headlight relay, electronic HID ballast, and front of the coach showing the led fog lamps
2015 fr3 30DS, added 2nd A/C-Heat Pump, both A/C have EasyStart, Auto Transfer Switch, CHF with Hellwig Links, Progressive Power Management, TPMS, Blue Ox True-Center, Koni Shocks, HID Headlamps, LED Foglamps, Pioneer Stereo, Keyless entry, Auxiliary Cooling Fans for A/C Condenser, dashcam front-rear, Yokohama Tires, air ride seats, onboard air compressor, 3000 watt hybrid Victron inverter Venus Generator Control, centramatic wheel balancers

Tags
fr3, light