Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2015, 11:50 PM   #1

Sirius Radio Antenna Install

Purchased the add-on tuner to make the dash radio get SiriusXM and it says it requires the antenna to be installed on the roof.

I have a 30DS. Does anyone have an easy way to access the roof to attach the antenna or have any experience with reception with the antenna placed in the interior.

Thanks
Paul
JABuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #2

I did the same install. I routed the wire from the radio, through the engine firewall to the right hand side of the frame. Then up through floor on the right hand side of the door. Then follow the LED/awning wiring up the awning rail to the roof. Then under the drip rail fwd, the mount the antenna on the front cap. Been working good so far. You'll have to buy 10 ft extension cable and splice into the factory antenna wire. Just cut the end off the factory antenna and route from the roof down. It'll get you to about the battery area. Then cut the correct end off the extension cable and route from the cabin through the bulkhead to the battery area. Soldering the XM cable is pretty delicate, but wasn't too hard. Just make sure to solder the overbraids together, and the inner conductor together, but keep them separate once you heatshrink everything together. Might not be the easiest, but its the way we did ours. Hope it helps.

I bought this extra cable.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMFAOA6/...xtension+cable

KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:44 PM   #3

XM antenna

I just installed my portable magnetic antenna to the rail that the bunk bed comes down on. It doesn't move and I have not lost reception while on the road. I used the xm radio from my office so I did not have to go through the radio on my FR3. This works just as well without going through all of the wiring and cables.
progolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:25 PM   #4

I put antenna under the dashboard just stick it to the metal brace with the antenna close to the front. Haven't lost signal yet, except thick wooded areas, but I lose it in my car in the same places with a factory antenna.

MSG (Ret)
U.S. Army
Active-duty 66-92
2015 FR3 30DS
fpo1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #5
Retired Ford Tech

Question

I installed a Sirius ant on my GT by going out the pass window, along the awning and siliconed a flat washer to the roof,
I also read an older post that someone mounted it in their overhead cabinets. Since the roof is fiberglass it still got a signal. If you haven't run the ant wire, give it a try.
rvpezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:23 PM   #6
Retired guy

How does the add on tuner connect to the radio? I thought these contraptions came with sattelite radio integrated into them and activation similar to starting up a new account like when you buy a new car that comes with a free subscription.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Big Dog 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:59 PM   #7

Question Aux input to radio on 30ds

Just bought a 30ds and haven't taken delivery yet, but the wife wants sirius like in her car. Does the radio have an aux input available on the front panel or in a convenient place to plug into so I don't have to re-cable...?
TIA.... Stefan
StefanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:33 PM   #8
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Most vehicle radios have the aux jack to plug in a Sirius /XM radio. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #9

If you have a smart phone you can download the xm app and play off that. They do have a USB port on them I think. I changed my radio system all together awhile back so I don't remember.

MSG (Ret)
U.S. Army
Active-duty 66-92
2015 FR3 30DS
fpo1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #10
Retired guy

You need the SiriusXM SXV300 Connect Vehicle Tuner
Model #: SXV300V1 $69.99 with three months free service and $10.00 off if you are an existing customer and ask for it. Unless you know how to pull the unit out of the dash and set up the tuner and antenna I suggest you take it to a mobile stereo shop.
Big Dog 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, radio